“The suites are nice” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Ohio
“The suites are nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

I stayed in a three bedroom suite in the Sands section of Kalahari. The suite was spacious and clean. The cleaning staff was very friendly and accommodating. It was nice having three outside porches. My main complaint was that there is no breakfast room service. The outdoor "condo" pool was very nice. I liked it better than the actual water park. The resort has nice features like restaurants, mini golf, and a giant arcade. It is a nice place for families.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mary E
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you for visiting Kalahari Resort in Sandusky, Ohio. I am so thrilled you enjoyed your visit and your stay in the Sands Building. The pool for guests of the Sands Building is a great way to sit poolside if you'd like to just simply relax. Besides the Waterpark, I hope you were able to try the Safari Outdoor Adventure Park! Thanks again for the review and we hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (836)
Trenton, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

This was the first time that my family and I stayed at Kalahari, before even leaving for my vacation, I checked my checking account, I found out that the resort had charged my account two times for the same room! that is when my big,stressful adventure began, this was wens. and today is a monday and my bank account has still not been credited my funds, the resort did admit that they made an error and promised to correct and take care of the situation. I have spent many hours and many phone calls between my bank and the resort,by the time I finally went to the resort, I was to stressed out to enjoy anything! the resort was nice, and the staff was very friendly, but to much rushing around and the lines were to long. I will not go back again due to the fact that I had to ask for some kind of compensation?? when this was a major error on their part, any professional business that makes a mistake that large should always be willing to do anything to correct and make sure their guests are happy, everyone whom I spoke with told me that my family and I should have been offered a free room and meals? instead I had to ask and only recieved a small portion taken off of my room? wow. I will be contacting someone in a higher position, I hope this never happens to anyone again. I do want to mention that after reading some reviews I seen this has happened before, and I spoke to a guest at the resort that also had the same thing happened to him and his family. I have to wonder what is going on? I think this needs to be investigated. take care and I think that I will just continue my Florida vacations from now on.

Room Tip: make sure your only charged one time for your room.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. I am sorry to hear about your experience with the double charge. I will be connecting with our team to ensure this has been taken care of. I hope that in end the family had fun in the waterpark. I do hope once we are able to make this right we have the opportunity to see you again. Take care and thank you!
Sarnia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

This was our second trip. We loved it. The reserve restaurant has a gluten free menu. The serving sizes were quite large and the food was amazing! Our bathroom wasn't completely clean and the staff responded immediately to our request. The cleaning staff was from Macedonia and he was fantastic. Very helpful, professional and eager to help.

Room Tip: Having a kitchen suite is a great option. There's a Walmart two minutes away.
Green Features: Where were the recycling bins? It broke my heart to see so many biodegradable products dumped in the ravage.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I am so happy you had such a wonderful time staying with us. The Reserve is a great Restaurant within the Resort with a selection of food for everyone. Good choice! I apologize about the bathroom situation. Our staff are trained to correct any size problem or dilemma that comes up, and I am so happy we got that taken care of for you right away. Take care and we'll see you on your next getaway.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

A beautiful resort and so much too do!!! I can't say enough wonderful things about this place!! The customer service was great - when we arrived and checked into our room someone had smoked in it and we asked for a new room and we were upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite which was wonderful!!! The restaurants were delicious - the reserve restaurant was do kid friendly and reasonably priced! The petting zoo safari is cute a little pricey but I understand it takes money to take care of animals so it was fine!!!! So much too do inside and out we were never bored!!! The smoothies r delicious!!! Can't wait for our next trip to come back!!!

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
I apologize for the smoke scent in your room after checking in. All of our rooms are Non-Smoking and so the situation was taken care of immediately. I am so happy you were able to try The Reserve as a dining option. That is my favorite restaurant within the Resort! Also, it's so nice that you were able to visit our seasonal Petting Zoo on property. Some of those exotic animals are really fun to see and experience their interactions. I hope you were able to have a wonderful time at the Indoor Waterpark during your visit and we hope to see you back soon. Thanks!
Nescopeck, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

We went with my parents and children. The rooms were spectacular, but I was a bit bummed at the cost of everything. It was $35.00 just to get a picture taken with a baby tiger cub. Nothing is included. Food prices are outrageous. There is a lot to do that the kids were excited about, but paying for four kids, easily made each event unaffordable. We went to an all inclusive resort to the Caribbean for 5 days and actually paid only $200.00 more than we did for 3 days at Kalahari. If I'm spending this kind of money, the Caribbean is much more appealing.

Don't get me wrong, it was nice. Everyone had a good time. But the cost for all the "extras" that you know your kids will beg you for, is insane.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Nicole P
We very much appreciate you coming to visit us and taking a moment to review our resort. I'm glad to hear that everyone had fun and your time was enjoyable. Thank you for passing along your thoughts about the pricing. I will be sure to let our team know. I'm hoping that we can see you again soon. We do put specials on our site as well as some packages which include a lot of amenities. I would check that out too. Hopefully that would help. That can be customized to group size too. The package I am thinking of is the Fantastic Family Getaway. Thank you again for your time and I remain in hopes of seeing you again soon.
CAPE COD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

I have stayed here two times now and I am looking forward to our next trip. The resort is very large and there are plenty of things to do. The park can get crowded on weekends but dies down during the weekdays.

On my second trip to the resort it took about 39 minutes to get checked in and so the guest services upgraded our room for no additional cost. I was very grateful and mentioned to the woman that this was like getting a military upgrade and when asked me if I was in the military, I showed her my military ID and she upgraded us again.

The hotel service is very good and the hotel management does a great job. I have been to many resort water parks and Kalahari is the best by far.

Room Tip: Go during the week, less crowded
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
How exciting that you were able to receive a few upgrades during your stay!! I am thrilled you have had two enjoyable stays with us. I hope you had a great time riding all of the water slides in the Waterpark and visiting a few other attractions around the Resort, like the arcade and Safari Outdoor Adventure Park. I am glad to hear you will be staying with us again and we are happy to have you back. Remember to keep checking on our website for deals, as we have special rates for Armed Forces and Service Personnel. Thanks again and we'll see you back again soon!
Fort Gratiot, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

We went to Kalahari w/family members to bring in the New Year. We had a great time. The food is kind of expensive but pretty good. The Candy Shoppe makes delicious chocolate treats. Our families went in on a cabana for a day, it was a really good idea and i would recommend it. It was well worth the cost as it gave everybody the opportunity of some down time from the water activities without having to leave the waterpark. We were able to feed the kids and take care of naps without feeling like anybody was missing out. We did have an issue of one of our rooms not being available for check in past the time of check in but it didn't ruin our weekend. Also, Kalahari provided an excellent New Years celebration for the whole family at no extra cost complete with DJ, dance floor, and balloons falling from the ceiling at midnight!! A great time for everybody!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Wow! I am so happy to hear that you rang in the New Year with us! It sounds like you had a wonderful time. I am happy everyone was able to find some activities to their liking, especially in the Waterpark. Renting a private Cabana is a great way to experience the Waterpark while having a "home-base" where friends and family can relax while others are out playing. I apologize for the room situation at check-in. I can assure you that won't happen again. I hope everyone staying with you was up and dancing during the countdown to the New Year! Take care and thanks for the review!