“Charged twice for one night, be careful!”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #3 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed August 5, 2013

This was the first time that my family and I stayed at Kalahari, before even leaving for my vacation, I checked my checking account, I found out that the resort had charged my account two times for the same room! that is when my big,stressful adventure began, this was wens. and today is a monday and my bank account has still not been credited my funds, the resort did admit that they made an error and promised to correct and take care of the situation. I have spent many hours and many phone calls between my bank and the resort,by the time I finally went to the resort, I was to stressed out to enjoy anything! the resort was nice, and the staff was very friendly, but to much rushing around and the lines were to long. I will not go back again due to the fact that I had to ask for some kind of compensation?? when this was a major error on their part, any professional business that makes a mistake that large should always be willing to do anything to correct and make sure their guests are happy, everyone whom I spoke with told me that my family and I should have been offered a free room and meals? instead I had to ask and only recieved a small portion taken off of my room? wow. I will be contacting someone in a higher position, I hope this never happens to anyone again. I do want to mention that after reading some reviews I seen this has happened before, and I spoke to a guest at the resort that also had the same thing happened to him and his family. I have to wonder what is going on? I think this needs to be investigated. take care and I think that I will just continue my Florida vacations from now on.

Room Tip: make sure your only charged one time for your room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. I am sorry to hear about your experience with the double charge. I will be connecting with our team to ensure this has been taken care of. I hope that in end the family had fun in the waterpark. I do hope once we are able to make this right we have the opportunity to see you again. Take care and thank you!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,763)

Reviewed August 5, 2013

This was our second trip. We loved it. The reserve restaurant has a gluten free menu. The serving sizes were quite large and the food was amazing! Our bathroom wasn't completely clean and the staff responded immediately to our request. The cleaning staff was from Macedonia and he was fantastic. Very helpful, professional and eager to help.

Room Tip: Having a kitchen suite is a great option. There's a Walmart two minutes away.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

I am so happy you had such a wonderful time staying with us. The Reserve is a great Restaurant within the Resort with a selection of food for everyone. Good choice! I apologize about the bathroom situation. Our staff are trained to correct any size problem or dilemma that comes up, and I am so happy we got that taken care of for you right away. Take care and we'll see you on your next getaway.

Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

A beautiful resort and so much too do!!! I can't say enough wonderful things about this place!! The customer service was great - when we arrived and checked into our room someone had smoked in it and we asked for a new room and we were upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite which was wonderful!!! The restaurants were delicious - the reserve restaurant was do kid friendly and reasonably priced! The petting zoo safari is cute a little pricey but I understand it takes money to take care of animals so it was fine!!!! So much too do inside and out we were never bored!!! The smoothies r delicious!!! Can't wait for our next trip to come back!!!

• Stayed: August 2013
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

I apologize for the smoke scent in your room after checking in. All of our rooms are Non-Smoking and so the situation was taken care of immediately. I am so happy you were able to try The Reserve as a dining option. That is my favorite restaurant within the Resort! Also, it's so nice that you were able to visit our seasonal Petting Zoo on property. Some of those exotic animals are really fun to see and experience their interactions. I hope you were able to have a wonderful time at the Indoor Waterpark during your visit and we hope to see you back soon. Thanks!

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We went with my parents and children. The rooms were spectacular, but I was a bit bummed at the cost of everything. It was $35.00 just to get a picture taken with a baby tiger cub. Nothing is included. Food prices are outrageous. There is a lot to do that the kids were excited about, but paying for four kids, easily made each event unaffordable. We went to an all inclusive resort to the Caribbean for 5 days and actually paid only $200.00 more than we did for 3 days at Kalahari. If I'm spending this kind of money, the Caribbean is much more appealing.

Don't get me wrong, it was nice. Everyone had a good time. But the cost for all the "extras" that you know your kids will beg you for, is insane.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Nicole P

We very much appreciate you coming to visit us and taking a moment to review our resort. I'm glad to hear that everyone had fun and your time was enjoyable. Thank you for passing along your thoughts about the pricing. I will be sure to let our team know. I'm hoping that we can see you again soon. We do put specials on our site as well as some packages which include a lot of amenities. I would check that out too. Hopefully that would help. That can be customized to group size too. The package I am thinking of is the Fantastic Family Getaway. Thank you again for your time and I remain in hopes of seeing you again soon.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

I have stayed here two times now and I am looking forward to our next trip. The resort is very large and there are plenty of things to do. The park can get crowded on weekends but dies down during the weekdays.

On my second trip to the resort it took about 39 minutes to get checked in and so the guest services upgraded our room for no additional cost. I was very grateful and mentioned to the woman that this was like getting a military upgrade and when asked me if I was in the military, I showed her my military ID and she upgraded us again.

The hotel service is very good and the hotel management does a great job. I have been to many resort water parks and Kalahari is the best by far.

Room Tip: Go during the week, less crowded
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

How exciting that you were able to receive a few upgrades during your stay!! I am thrilled you have had two enjoyable stays with us. I hope you had a great time riding all of the water slides in the Waterpark and visiting a few other attractions around the Resort, like the arcade and Safari Outdoor Adventure Park. I am glad to hear you will be staying with us again and we are happy to have you back. Remember to keep checking on our website for deals, as we have special rates for Armed Forces and Service Personnel. Thanks again and we'll see you back again soon!

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We went to Kalahari w/family members to bring in the New Year. We had a great time. The food is kind of expensive but pretty good. The Candy Shoppe makes delicious chocolate treats. Our families went in on a cabana for a day, it was a really good idea and i would recommend it. It was well worth the cost as it gave everybody the opportunity of some down time from the water activities without having to leave the waterpark. We were able to feed the kids and take care of naps without feeling like anybody was missing out. We did have an issue of one of our rooms not being available for check in past the time of check in but it didn't ruin our weekend. Also, Kalahari provided an excellent New Years celebration for the whole family at no extra cost complete with DJ, dance floor, and balloons falling from the ceiling at midnight!! A great time for everybody!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Wow! I am so happy to hear that you rang in the New Year with us! It sounds like you had a wonderful time. I am happy everyone was able to find some activities to their liking, especially in the Waterpark. Renting a private Cabana is a great way to experience the Waterpark while having a "home-base" where friends and family can relax while others are out playing. I apologize for the room situation at check-in. I can assure you that won't happen again. I hope everyone staying with you was up and dancing during the countdown to the New Year! Take care and thanks for the review!

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We usually stay at Cedar Point every summer, but we thought that we would try Kalahari as our "home base" for our Cedar Point trip this year. Our first visit to Kalahari was during March Break. When we visited in March, we stayed in a whirlpool room with the Choose your own Adventure package. We learned what choices were the best for our family and picked the choose your own adventure package again this trip. We had so much fun that we decided to extend our stay from 4 days to 5 and then added a 6th night because we were just not ready to go home yet.

Rooms:
We used one of our Choose Your Own Adventure Package choices to upgrade to a lodge room and it was fantastic! It has a full kitchen, one bathroom, separate bedroom with a king bed. Our 11 year old son slept on the pull out couch in the living room. There is a patio overlooking the outdoor water park. We would definitely book a lodge room again. If we travel with friends or our parents in the future, we would likely book a lodge room and a connecting hut room (called a combination suite). We looked online and if you book well in advance during non-peak times, the lodge room is available for only $209/night.

Food:
We had breakfast in our room most mornings and skipped the breakfast buffet. It seemed extremely busy. We ate inside the water park once. We tried the build your own sundaes. The chicken fingers were really good.
Candy hut and Java Manjaro sell lots of sweet treats. Yummy, but not likely low fat. ha ha
We did not try the Zanzibar Grille in the outdoor water park. The menu looked good. We don't often drink, but we talked to some other guests who said that it was best to buy the big cup and get the less expensive refills.
The Reserve was our favourite place for dinner. The staff are great and the food was really good. We found that it was a good value too. The Chicken Pagoda Salad was excellent. The reserve dj interacts with the kids and they seemed to have fun. They offer a children's buffet for $12.99 and it includes a $10 card for the arcade. There is pizza, chicken nuggets, tater tots, fries, mini corn dogs and veggies. The hostess Heather greeted us with a huge welcoming smile. Our waitresses were friendly and service was prompt and accurate. (Tess and Leah) Thanks ladies.

The Indoor Water Park:
The park seems to get busy around 10:30-11:00. We went into the park when it opened at 9:00 and took advantage of short lines for the rides. We rode the Flow rider and could have gone a few more times without much of a wait. In March, we had private Flow rider lessons after the park closed. The Flow rider guards were fun and we got lots of time to play. We did not do it this time, but we plan to do it when we come back in the spring.

Outdoor Water Park/ Safari Adventure Park:
The outdoor park was closed when we visited in March, so this was our first time seeing the outdoor park open. We walked through the outdoor zoo and we all enjoyed feeding and interacting with the animals. Four passes were included in our package as one of our choices ($25 value each) and that allowed us unlimited access for our entire stay. We went on the zip line and ropes course several times, tried the climbing wall and walked through the zoo twice. Great fun!
The outside pools have slides for smaller children and plenty of loungers. They have lots of clean pool towels, but they are small. There is music playing and it is a fun atmosphere.

Arcade:
We chose a few $40 Arcade cards and some games of mini bowling and mini golf as part of the Choose Your Own Adventure Package. The mini bowling was fun. We are not bowlers, but we had a lot of laughs competing with each other. A $40 arcade card does not last long and the ticket games do not pay out well. They have a variety of cheap junk toys to choose from if you enjoy playing ticket games. The $20 unlimited video game play for the day is a good value. We used it to play basketball, racing games, air hockey and a few video hunting/shooting games. They also offered 2 hrs of unlimited video game play for $10. Chris, Evan and the Christinas were helpful at the arcade. They were friendly and patient with the patrons.

Spa:
I indulged in a facial treatment. Very nice. My cosmetologist (Jamie M) was lovely.

Staff:
All of the staff that we met were friendly and helpful. There were a few that were absolutely exceptional. Eric the bellman was always smiling. Housekeeping: Kenny and Shelby. Front desk: Halsey and Diane.
We will definitely be back. Thanks Kalahari.

Room Tip: The resort is very large, so if you have mobility issues, ask for a room near the lobby and staff tr...
1  Thank r6crystal

Thank you for providing such a detailed review for future guests to look at when considering visiting Kalahari Resort. I am so excited that you had such a fun and wonderful time while staying with us. We always welcome guests, friends, and visitors with a warm smile to help them feel at home during their getaway. I am so happy that this time you were able to experience the Safari Outdoor Adventure Park as well as the Outdoor Animal Park. I am also happy you were satisfied with your Lodge Room and the view you had overlooking the outdoors. The treats at Candy Hut & Java Manjaro are a great snack when you're craving something sweet! The Reserve is also one of my favorite spots to grab dinner. Nice choice on the Chicken Pagoda Salad, it's my favorite as well! All in all, it sounds like you had a wonderful time in the Waterparks as well as the arcade. Thanks again for the review and we'll see you back again soon!