“Fun time, nice room”

Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Oakmont, PA
“Fun time, nice room”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

This was our first time to the resort, we stayed and splurged on the Lodge room which was part of a Sunday stay package. It seemed like a good deal for a family of four. The room was larger then expected. The pullout sofa was okay, but I think my daughters would have preferred a bed. We did not really need the kitchen for a one night stay. The only two complaints was that the bedroom window was not soundproof. The balcony over from us had a very loud party going on past midnight. It sound like they were in our room. I was surprised that we could hear the noise. Also the TV did not work in the bedroom. We found out very late that night when it was too late for repairs. The water park is the biggest I have seen. It was fun, we liked the outdoor area also. The hot tub was great. The package included a breakfast buffet which was really good.

Room Tip: I would ask for ground floor facing the outdoor area for easy in/out to the water park. I am not su...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you for giving Kalahari Resort a visit. I am so happy you enjoyed the Waterpark and especially the hot tub. Booking with a package is a great way to save and experience most of the Resort without the cost associated with it. It is so nice that you were able to have the delicious breakfast buffet with your package. I apologize about the sound in your room. Next time, if on property, feel free to give a call down to the front desk so we can take care of the situation and you can get a peaceful nights sleep. We thank you for staying with us and hope to see you back soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (858)
ontario
Reviewed July 25, 2013

After visiting Kalahari Sandusky Ohio for the first time 5 years ago, it has been our trip of choice when we have a night or two to get away with our little family ( Currently ages 6,3,1). We have visited Kalahari 6 times in the last 5 years. It is a great place to go in the winter months and even better in the summer as you have use of the outdoor play areas. Whether your going with small children, a group of adults or just as a couple, Kalahari is a great get away and fun for everyone one at all ages. From water activities to indoor arcade, bowling, arts and crafts, restaurants, the decor..you really feel your at a resort.

I decided to write a review this time around because I had the great opportunity to meet a wonderful lady, Connie Salas (Assistant To the Director) . We have been in touch over the last few years and she is such a kind and wonderful person. She helped out with a situation I had in such a positive manner and really put me at ease. My most recent visit was this July 2013, I stopped by her office to say hello and to finally put a face to the person I had spoken to. I honestly felt that we had been friends for a long time, we sat down and chatted about family, and what a wonderful place Kalahari is and I have been hooked on visiting at least once a year. I told Connie that I was planning another trip in August with my In- Laws and siblings ( being their first time) and how excited we are to return, there is so much to do, I wish we could stay for a week. I was sad to hear that after finally meeting Connie who has been so kind that she will be leaving her Kalahari family to be closer to her family out of state. Before leaving home, I brought my three small children to meet and thank Connie and they told her how much they love Kalahari and now they have a new friend Kenya and Kya to remember this trip by. I must say Kalahari, you picked a wonderful employee to represent your resort, she left a great impression and I hope you continue to employee people as awesome as Connie. I truly believe the best way to project a companies image is through their employees.

Kalahari, until we meet again!

Room Tip: Based on the number of people travelling Kalahari has rooms to accommodate 2-12 people .
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Six times in the past five years!! Wow! It is such a pleasure to be able to serve you and your family as a gust for that long. I am so thrilled you and your family enjoy everything that Kalahari has to offer; from the Waterparks to the Outdoor Adventure Park, the Arcade to the Restaurants, it is always a delight being able to see guests like you making memories that will last a lifetime.
I forwarded your exceptional review to Connie and I know she will be appreciative of your message and the it will brighten her day. Thank you again for the wonderful review and we hope to see you back again soon! Take care.
Reviewed July 25, 2013

My granddaughters and I got stuck in elevator.when they got it opened we had to jump down it was stuck between floors. My granddaughters were so scared they thought they were going to die.I called Kalahari that night.had to leave message for them to call me back. This was a week ago called two times never returned my calls finally today July25. I got ahold of someone she says she was really busy for week I told her my story and all she said sorry. And hoped my granddaughters get over being scared of elevators. Never ask how they are or myself. I go there twice a year don't know if going to go back if this is the ways the people in charge are going to treat their guests. Hazel Lodi Ohio

• Stayed July 2013
Clyde, Ohio
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We have stayed here a few times in the past, and it really says something about a company that truly goes out of their way to make you feel welcomed and happy, I appreciate the fact Kalahari extends great offers to keep visitors coming back more often, The Staff was awesome at every turn, The Food was a bit pricey but was awesome tasting none the less, especially the breakfast and supper Buffets, and if your on a tighter budget, there are other Delicious options on site, Pizza and hamburgers and more, we were not disappointing with anything at Kalahari, were just sorry we ran out of days to stay there longer, My Hats off to Kalahari and its staff ! Awesome Job Everyone ! keep doing what your doing :)

Room Tip: If you don't like long walks, I would suggest asking for a room in close proximity to the lobby...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
It sounds like you had an awesome time during your visit with us! We appreciate loyal guests like yourself and love it when you tell us about your experience with Kalahari. I am glad you enjoyed all of the dining options Kalahari has to offer. I hope you were able to take a swim at the Indoor Waterpark or visit the Safari Outdoor Adventure Park during your 3 day stay with us. Take care and we'll see you next time!
Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

My family stayed here for 2 days and we had a nice time. I was a little overwhelmed when I first walked in. It is a cool place! The staff was so friendly! The girl at the registration was so sweet and helpful. The rooms were nothing spectacular but they were nice enough and clean. Having a balcony was nice. It overlooked the pool area and my kids liked that. We had so much fun riding on the slides, zip lining, doing the ropes course, bowling, and just laying out in the sun. There were 2 things that bothered me at this stay: 1 they had 2 flow riders but only 1 was open. This is such a popular ride that you can stand and wait over 1/2 hour. The 2nd could not be controlled by the resort and staff but that was the other clientele, we came across some really obnoxious and rude patrons. They had no respect for others cussing up a storm and we even witnessed an argument that almost turned into a fist fight on the stairs of one of the water slides. This is a family establishment with lots of young children. This really bothered me.

Overall, it is a nice family get-away and it has everything you need to have a good time. I would stay again.

• Stayed July 2013
We appreciate you and your family taking some time out of your summer to spend a few days with us. It is wonderful your children had such a fun time at our Waterpark and our Safari Outdoor Adventure Park. I apologize greatly and feel your concerns about other guests and appropriateness. If this happens again while on property, feel free to let us know so we can take care of the situation. Thanks again and we hope to see you back soon!
Cranford, New Jersey
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Just returned from a two night stay at Kalahari. We got a great rate on the Nomad room from Trip Advisor. We paid $369 for two nights which included 4 passes to the Adventure Park also. Our experience was very nice.

The check in went smoothly. We arrived around 2 pm and our room was available early. That was a great surprise because my 3 children were eager to get to the water park. The check in clerk explained everything that was necessary at that time. The room was clean and stocked with all the expected supplies.

The water park was very nice. Lots and lots of slides for all ages. Even my 3 year old was able to go down many slides. Plenty of towels and life jackets to go around. I did not find the pool overchlorinated, (the hotel that we stayed in the previous 2 nights of this trip my eyes burned sitting next to the pool...this was not the case at Kalahari). The pools were clean and plenty of lifeguards were staffed to ensure safety. They loved the Flow Rider, and the guard there gives some great tips to the riders to challenge them to do different tricks. Other water parks we have been to charge extra for flow rider, not the case at Kalahari...it is included.

The arcade was large and the kids were thrilled with it. They were able to earn tickets for the typical arcade prizes.

The food was good. We ate at the Reserve and they had a $5.99 kids buffet the night we were there. Typical kid stuff...mac and cheese, corn dogs, pasta, pizza. There was also a dj who did games with the kids during the dinner. My husband and I ate off of the regular menu and the food was good. Hamburger and chicken sandwich (each around $10-12). The coffee in the morning was good at the java joint, but a couple of the little cartons of milk we got were curdled. The girls working there were quick to replace them with cups of milk. We ordered the Pizza Pub to our room one night and the 20" pizza was more than enough for our family of 5. The kids menus at the Grille downstairs was about $6 a kid and sandwiches were about $9.

The accommodations were simple, but suitable, and after a busy day everyone slept fine. The sleeper sofa was a bit squeaky (but aren't most) and was fine for one of the kids to sleep on.

Overall I would say the Kalahari was a fun trip for our whole family. Well done for a family resort.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 4408 it was quiet and near the elevator...quick ride down to the water park and ar...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
What a deal! It's so nice that you were able to experience not just the Waterpark at Kalahari Resort, but also the Adventure Park! I am glad you found a great selection of waterslides and even your 3 year old had a fun time going down a few of them. The flowrider is a challenge for most, and our lifeguards know most of the tricks and challenges associated with it. I hope you gave it a try! Those 20" pizzas are my favorite and we always have extra slices left over. Thank you for the review and we'll see you again soon!
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed July 24, 2013

My husband and I have been to Kalahari twice before, but just for day trips - we'd buy a day pass to the water park and not stay the night. Our most recent trip, however, we stayed two nights. We also brought our 7 month old daughter.

We stayed in a King suite, and it was very nice! Large, with a kitchen. The king bed was incredibly comfortable, but a little short for my tall husband. The rooms were clean, if a teeny bit worn, and the housekeeping service every day was excellent. The room theming was very nice as well - large animal prints on the walls, animal "skin" upholstery. It was a fun room!

The food at all of the places we ate at the resort was delicious! I honestly wasn't expecting much, and both my husband and I were consistently surprised by the high quality, great tasting food.

The one bummer of the trip related to the water parks - we had to put our baby in a swim vest. The vests provided by the park was much too big for my daughter, and kept hitting her in the neck. We went off site and bought a vest which was more comfortable for our baby. When she got used to the vest, she had a great time, especially in the wave pool and lazy river!

Room Tip: Bigger is better! The extras (like a kitchen or balcony) that come in a larger room are worth the ex...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
It's so wonderful that you had the opportunity to spend a few nights at Kalahari! The Resort is experienced in such a different way when you spend a night or two versus coming to swim on day-passes. Each Authentically African themed room is a tiny bit different as far as decorations and design. I hope you are able to stay with us again soon and check out our other room selections. We appreciate your input on the life vest issue. Thank you for taking the time to review Kalahari Resort.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandusky
Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark
Great Wolf Lodge
Great Wolf Lodge
#7 of 35 in Sandusky
No photo provided

Been to Kalahari Resorts & Conventions? Share your experiences!