“Kalahari Hospitality Suite”

Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Howell, Michigan
“Kalahari Hospitality Suite”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

After many trips to Kalahari this was our first time staying in one of their suites. It was my wife myself, and my daughter (8), niece (13) along with my brother and his girlfriend. As usual the room was clean open and bright. It had 2 twin beds that folded up into the wall and a sofa with a sleeper. The bathroom was big but not much counter space and the toilet is in the same room as the shower. Both water temperature and pressure were great. Full kitchen with flat screen tv in both living room and kitchen as well as a fire place in the living room. The outside patio was bigger than the other rooms we've stayed in. Overall we would book this room again without question.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
How cool that you were all able to travel together and stay in a suite! I hope besides the room you were able to enjoy the Waterpark and Adventure Park! With the size of the patio, it makes the perfect place to chill out on those summer nights and have a cocktail. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your vacation! Have a good one!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (851)
Mason, Michigan
Reviewed July 21, 2013

The room was clean, well equipped, and hardly used by us due to so much going on at the resort that we really just slept there. The bed was super comfortable and they have extra pillows already in each room. That was a nice touch, as were the towels in the water area. The indoor waterpark had more rides and attractions than I could ever have imagined an indoor facility to have. It is really stocked well with plenty to do for all ages in the family. The waterpark was really clean and that is amazing because it was so busy. My hat is off to the staff that made that possible. Another feature that I really liked was the waterpark uses a salt system as opposed to chlorine. Our skin and eyes feel just as good as they did before arrival. The adventure park is just AWESOME! VERY SAFE and the staff was so nice to us. That rope course and zip line were the funnest part of the stay for my son and I. Food was fantastic! That was the best breakfast buffet I had ever had, hands down! We all liked it a lot, and this coming from a family of picky eaters! We had pizza for dinner. The pizza is of the hand tossed/homemade variety and if they were a local pizza chain, they would be on our regular list for pizza. VERY GOOD pizza!.

The only negatives I have are in the pricing. The room and waterpark package was very well priced, but I am speaking of the little things inside the resort. The arcade has modern and up to date fun and exciting games, but my only complaint was how fast you go through the creditsI felt a little nickel and dimed with the arcade....and the food prices as well. It is grossly overpriced, so I would suggest bringing your own food to your room or budget about $150 a day if you are eating three meals onsite.

Room Tip: I would go for the cheapest room. The staff keeps them right and you really won't be lounging i...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review on your experience at Kalahari Resort. It sounds like you all had the time of your life! We work around the clock to ensure our Resort and Waterpark are continually clean and maintained. The Waterpark at Kalahari Resort in Ohio is America's Largest Indoor Waterpark and that's why it was so large and filled with so many slides and attractions all under one roof! It sounds like you had a wonderful time at the Adventure Park as well! Pizza is a big part of the Kalahari Family and we appreciate the input and compliments on our different types of delicious pizza! Take care and we hope to see you back again soon!
Concord, Ohio, United States
Reviewed July 20, 2013

This was a wonderful vacation for us and our 15 month old son. Nobody is too young or too old for kalahari. The buffet was amazing for both dinner and breakfast. We only stayed one night...our next vacation there will be longer for sure. The staff was super friendly and the hotel was immaculate. Can't wait to come again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
You are absolutely correct. No one is too young or too old to enjoy Kalahari Resort. How wonderful that you all got to enjoy the buffet for breakfast AND dinner! Have a wonderful rest of your summer and we hope to see you again soon!
Elmore, Ohio
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Kalahari was a fantastic way to entertain our out-of-town family guests. It was safe, clean and loads of fun for our pre-teen/teen children. Purchasing through the resort (ie, staying overnight) gave us the flexibility of enjoying the attractions from noon on the first day through close the second day. The park itself has expanded its size since we were last there some 6 years ago; much more to enjoy than I expected. The Lazy River is a MUST for overworked/overcommitment adults . . . BE LAZY while riding! A good time was had by ALL guests!

2 Thank Jo W
I am thrilled you and your family had such a great time here at Kalahari Resort. It's so nice that you were able to take advantage of the Waterpark the very first day! And I bet it just felt so good once you got in the Lazy River and let everything erase from your mind. Take care and we'll see you again soon!
Romulus, Michigan
Reviewed July 19, 2013

There is so much to write I don't know to begin. I will start by saying when I first arrived at the resort I informed the clerk that I was handicapped and could hardly walk. She assured me that my room was close by and not to worry. Well, that wasn't the case. As we walked for what seemed a half of a mile, I couldn't believe this. I ran into another staff member on the way and told her that my room was supposed to be close. She asked who told me that, but I didn't remember their name. She told me they shouldn't have said that and she was sorry. I was very surprised too that the handicapped parking is really far. There is nothing close. I am in so much pain from this experience that I can hardly stand it. If you can't walk or function well, don't come here. That was the longest route I had ever experienced in any Hotel. When I finally got to my room, the key didn't work so we had to walk all the way back to the front desk (another half mile) to get another one. Then the elevator didn't work. My daughter went up and down between 2 floors 4 times. Later that day they closed that elevator for repairs. Now when I really got back to my room there was hair and dirt on one whole side of the floor. I know that this is a no no for a hotel.

We went to the waterpark and it was so hot and humid in there that we could hardly breathe, especially for people with asthma. There were no seats and with my bad legs I needed to sit. When we did find seating and a table, we left it to get in the water and on returning, someone took our items off the table and moved our towels. There was too many people. In the wave pool the tubes kept running into my 5 year old grandson and 8 year old granddaughter as well as my grown daughter. They all got scuffs and scrapes from the overcrowded conditions and lack of respect of people running each other down.
The life jackets were choking them and they were just down right miserable on the kids.
That evening when we went to bed, we noticed holes in the sheets with stains. I wasn't sure if the sheets were even clean. Anyways, we tried to make the best of it and get some sleep on the lumpy mattress. The next morning (Yesterday July 18, 2013) My grandson woke up with three bite marks near his eye area and one bite on his foot. My daughter woke up with bites on her face and on her legs and foot.(they slept in the same bed). My daughter went to the desk and spoke with Esther. Esther did apologize and stated that yes indeed your hotel does have a problem with bedbugs. Now in my opinion when a manager admits to a problem, it must be pretty bad. She told us that someone would come investigate the situation and check the room and then call me on my cell. I never got a call so I called the desk and asked for the manager of the hotel. I was given the manager of housekeeping. She seemed very young and just wanted to get rid of me. She kept stating that the room had been checked and there were no bugs. She said that they have been trained and can detect the bugs. I was also told that they would send someone to look at the room with us. We declined feeling that this would do us no good. We are not professional fumigators. I don't believe that the maids in the hotel can detect the bugs when I've heard stories of people calling fumigators out several times before the bugs were detected. Anyways, apology after apology but noting getting resolved. We decided to give it another shot and stay the night, hoping we were wrong about the bugs. Didn't get much rest because this night there was a lot of noise and people running up and down the halls until about 2am. Guess what! My grandson woke up (Friday July 19, 2013) with more bites by his forehead, 3 on his hip and 1 on his foot. My daughter woke up with more on her face and foot. ( again they slept in the same bed).
We decided to check out at this point. Enough is enough. No one cared what is going on with us, the guest, just as long as they got their money. (we paid in advance with cash). My daughter mentioned the bugs at check out and again got another half way apology.
I also felt that for this being a family facility that the food was priced way too high. For families with several children, they wouldn't be able to feed them. I don't like to complain, but in this situation, I have to.
Overall experience was a BIG THUMBS DOWN!

3 Thank katherine e
Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We stay here alot . The people that wotk here are awesome
Best water park aroind.. The great karoo is a great buffet. The check in speefy and acuratte
most staff should be commended. Job well done in keeping the guest hsppy.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for sharing the love of Kalahari Resort with us. I appreciate you taking the time to review the Resort and we hope to see you back again soon!
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Reviewed July 18, 2013

One of the better places to stay with kids. Lots of entertainment to occupy the kids. Had suite with 2 separate bedrooms, living room and full kitchen. Its worth the upgrade so you don't have to eat in restaurants all the time. Find after a two night stay you are ready to move on. The resort is a nice idea for northern people that have a lot of winter. Coming from the south feels odd swimming indoors. Good place to stay if going to Cedar Point. The rooms are newer than Cedar Point on site rooms. Don't be afraid to get housekeeping in to refresh the room and we found it a bit dirty. They put so many people through the hotel that don't think they have time to properly clean the larger rooms.

Room Tip: ask for a newer room as they added on sections over time.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Dianne F
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Thank you for coming to visit us! Glad to hear everyone had fun! The full kitchen in the Combination Suite is a big plus. I can imagine swimming indoors when you are used to always outside might be a bit odd. That makes sense. I grew up, up north so for me it seems par for the course. My favorite is in the winter, to be outside in one of our whirlpools. That is real neat! Hopefully the roof we have over the wave pool, which allows you to tan under, made it feel a little more like outside. Thank you for coming to visit! Can't wait to see you again soon.