Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
$90
La Quinta Inn Sandusky - Cedar Point(Sandusky)(Great Value!)
$79
Comfort Inn Sandusky(Sandusky)(Great Value!)
$101
$150
Hotel Breakers(Sandusky)
$228
3,913 results
All reviewsthe reservegreat karoohut roomzip linefull kitchennomad roomcandy hutwave poolanimal parkflow riderwater parkafrican queen suiteoutdoor parkvillage suiteivory coastpizzaswim up bar
Reviewed June 17, 2013

The good: Each staff person that I encountered during my three days at the resort was kind and helpful. Our room was sparse, but clean. The water park was clean and the lifeguards appeared to take their jobs seriously, and my kids had fun.

The bad: At least on weekends, this place attracts a rough clientele. It's not just limited to the folks they let in with day passes either (which, by the way, are a simply awful idea to begin with from an overnight guest's point of view). Security staff told us that over the last 2-3 years things have changed/ declined significantly. The shameful thing is that staff don't appear to be empowered or encouraged to do anything to stem the problem. (Which means, I think, that management could care less as long as the park is full.) Both nights of our stay other adult guests were drinking 40s in the hallway, kids were running up and down the halls, pulling fire alarms, and generally being obnoxious (as late as 3:30am). At a Disney property, that would get you booted out right then and there. Here, no such luck. They are sent back to their rooms to disturb the heck out of those on either side of them. A zero tolerance policy would go a long way here. So would posting security guards on each floor to walk the floors constantly (sad, but so very needed here). Note that this experience was not an isolated thing just on my floor. Friends staying on a different floor in a different wing had the same experience (they had an unsupervised room of about 8 kids next to them).

I would pay more to stay here if I thought that management would/ could correct the problems that they have. As it is, I'd be hard pressed to suggest that a friend or co-worker visit, because how do you recommend it knowing that the likelihood is that they'll have to deal with the same sleepless nights and inappropriate, rude behavior caused by other guests? If management wants this to be viewed as a higher end property, they need to have policies and procedures in place to protect their guests and to help ensure that we'd want to return (hint: raise rates, stop letting people pay only in cash, require an adult in each room and warn people that you'll throw them out immediately for inappropriate behavior). Right now though their concern is clearly putting bodies in rooms and not on whether the guests they pile in would actually want to come back.

5  Thank copswifetobe
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Thank you for reaching out to us and taking a moment to connect. First off, let me say, I am glad to hear the friendly encounters you experienced while on property however extremely discouraged to hear about the rest of your experience. Sounds like you connected with our security department. We do have a full security staff on property at all times. I am sorry to hear that this was no evident in your stay. Every complaint or concern that comes up, we do look into. When there is sufficient evidence we will remove guests from property. However, I can certainly understand your concerns with your stay and the noise levels. I will be connecting with our executive management team and the security director as to why this was not handled in a more appropriate manner for you. As a family run business we are very concerned with the safety first and foremost of our guests, then with our guests experience. Again, I wanted to apologize that you felt our priorities lied elsewhere. I can assure you I will be connecting with our team to address this and implement changes where we can. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to improve and letting us know your thoughts. It helps us to constantly improve and move forward in the right direction. Thank you again. I do hope in the future we will see you again and you will receive the experience you would not only expect but deserve.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Our annual family retreat to the Kalahari was once again wonderful. Staff friendly and responsive to our needs, especially to the needs of a family with a child with disabilities. Every time we asked for assistance or stated a need, your staff responded and offered info that improved our stay. One guy even told us about your lift for disability access to the hot tub on request. Wow. Your staff is great. Next year, my husband is planning on using the spa! Can't wait.

Room Tip: If you are an early riser, the walkway around the outdoor pool is a beautiful way to start the day, or take a cup of coffee out to the tables by the entrance to the outdoor pool. The quiet start to the morning and the sweet scent of flowers and the sound of birds was a soothing start to my day.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Thank you for the awesome review! We take pride in catering our Resort to all people of every capability. Kalahari has it's own specific standards to make sure every guests every need is taken care of and they have a fun, safe, and enjoyable time here at the Resort. I am happy you had such a great experience and keep coming back. Take care and we'll see you next year at your annual retreat.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

My daughter, my husband and I stayed at Kalahari for one night in May 2013. We were able to check in shortly after noon because our room was ready. The room was clean and comfortable. 2 queen beds, large bathroom, microwave, and small fridge. The only complaint about the room is there was a bright light on the balcony that could not be turned off and the blinds did nothing to block out the light. Some dark curtains would solve the problem! We made use of the waterpark for about 5 hours the day of our arrival. It was a Tuesday so it was not too busy but the downside of that is they intermittently close down attractions. For instance when we first got there, 4 large waterslides were closed, the basketball pool was closed, and one of the kiddie attractions was closed. This was very disappointing because then the lines were longer for the rides that were open! We ate lunch in the waterpark at the Zulu grill which did not impress me at all. The food was just ok and was overpriced. We had drinks at the Monsoon Saloon which had a great variety of tropical and mixed drinks that really made this feel like a tropical vacation!

That night we ate at The Reserve Restaurant. The other restaurant was closed so we only had one option. The food was good, the service was friendly, if a bit slow. Rather on the expensive side though. We played in the arcade a bit after dinner and then crashed for the night. In the morning we had the breakfast buffet at the Great Karoo Marketplace. It was fairly priced with many selections to choose from including many options for the kids. After breakfast we checked out and stored our gear in the car and then came back in to use the waterpark for a few hours before we had to head home.

All in all, we would definately return to this resort. I think one night was adequate for us as you can use the waterpark both the day you arrive and the day you check out. The outside portion was not yet open for the season so I can not speak about that. My 5 yr old daughter really enjoyed it and she could go on almost all the rides except a few that require a height of 48" and up. There is a candy shop, a coffee shop, and many stores that sell souvenirs. You can spend a lot of money at this place in a short amount of time. I recommend this resort for a great mini vacation!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

I appreciate you taking the time to review Kalahari Resort. Checking in early is a great way to start enjoying the Waterpark right away. I hope you all went down a few of the cool waterslides. My favorite is the Cheetah Race! I will send a note on to housekeeping about the bright outdoor balcony light. I'm happy to hear you recommend Kalahari to your friends and we'll see you again soon!

Reviewed June 15, 2013

This year, I convinced my 7yr old twins to forgo a birthday party with their friends for a trip to Kalahari instead. I booked a two night stay with the family fun getaway package. First two nights weren't too bad -- although I will agree with other comments here about a general lack of cleanliness. The "fun" started when we decided to extend our stay by one more day so my husband and 4yrold daughter could join us. "Come straight to the hotel", I told him. "I have a $40 voucher for the restaurant. We'll all have dinner together." Unfortunately, I can't find the voucher when it's time for dinner. I go to the front desk. Hey, so far this trip's costing $1200 so I figure, they're bound to help me out. Nope. First I get told no way, sorry you lost the voucher, not our problem. I am accused of trying to pull a "fast one" on the hotel by trying to get a voucher reissued...really??? I've dropped $1200 so far, I'm really going to rip off a big corporation for $40? So, I ask to speak to the manager, Nope...sorry can't help you. Too bad you lost the voucher. Can't do anything for you, don't care if it costs us your future visits or if you ar unhappy, it is our policy. So I ask for that manager's manger. Brandon Taylor, politely leaves me a sugary sweet voicemail to explain that there is nothing that can be done about my lost voucher. By this time, my husband and daughter have arrived. So my husband gives it a try to talk with Brandon. Nope, no go either. He is also accused of trying to rip off the hotel the $40. Of cours, we ate at the restaurant. What can we do now unless we want to be disappointing the children. That night, at midnight, some yahoos in the suite above us start firing off firecrackers. 4 at midnight, then 6 at 1am...they are flinging them onto the grass from their balcony. They are so loud they sound like shotgun shells being fired. I call guest services. "Thank you for calling, we will send someone out to investigate". Nothing happened. They shot more off at 1:59, 2:33, 2:45, 3:39, 4:15am. Not sure where security was in all this, nor was I the only guest that likely called.

3  Thank S W
Reviewed June 14, 2013

My family and I love our time at Kalahari! The restaurant Pizza Pub is the best. The staff are do friendly, helpful, and well trained. They go out of there way to make sure your stay is resort like!! Check in was short and the rooms were ready and clean.
The bellmen were great and ready upon check-in and st checkout came to the room loaded up everything and loaded right into the car. The valet service was wonderful as well. Can't wait to return next year!

• Stayed: June 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review so that future guests have a reference to look at before booking their getaway. We take pride in how friendly our staff are and I thank you for noticing. I love the valet service as well. They always take care of my bags so that I don't have to worry about lifting or dragging them down the hallway. Take care and we hope to see you again soon!