“Amazing place!!!”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
“Amazing place!!!”
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

My fiancé & our boys, ages 2 & 9, went to Kalahari from Thursday May 30 to Friday May 31. It was our first time & we loved it! We had a gift certificate for a free night stay in either a Desert or Nomad Room. When we called to make our reservation, we chose the Nomad since it had a private balcony & a fireplace, but when we checked in neither was available, so we settled for a Hut Room. We wanted to upgrade to a King Whirlpool Suite for $20 more but were told that none of those were available either. One minor issue we had was that we were told to check in at the main entrance, then we had to get back in our car & drive around to the hotel Sands entrance. We were in room 5641, which was pretty far from everything, but the room was nice & clean, stocked with towels & I did a thorough inspection for bed bugs & found none :) We brought outer stuff up on a luggage cart, which was convenient. We quickly changed & packed a tote bag with towels, swim diapers, his wallet & some dry clothes & went down to the outdoor waterpark. It was about 6:00PM & they closed at 7, so it wasn't crowded at all. Our toddler loved the kids area with all the slides & sprinklers, & I got to lay on a lounge chair & my fiance surprised me with a 1/2 piña colada 1/2 strawberry margarita which he said the barmaid was very happy to combine the two drinks for me. We swam in the big outdoor pool until closing & then went into the indoor park. We were all very impressed with the size & warm, balmy temperature inside. We played all evening,shared some fries & a pretzel, had a couple more drinks (they make any & every tropical concoction you can dream up) and went back to our room at 10:00PM to shower & get into our PJ's then went downstairs & had a pizza( I didn't feel like getting our room all greasy) then back up to bed. I also was happy to find guest laundry room, so I could dry our towels. We stayed all day Friday & left around 7:00PM. We had a great time & we will definitely be back!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (851)
Marcellus, New York
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

First, we were upgraded to a two-bedroom suite, which was very nice. The couch and chair in the living area were quite worn (couch upholstery was cracking!) but the room was otherwise nice. The room was in the 2300's and was reasonably close to everything.

However, the reason we were there was for the waterpark, and we were quite disappointed in the number if closed rides the day we arrived. Some of the larger rides had 20+ minute waits, despite it being fairly small crowds. We've done Great Wolf in Niagara Falls and been able to do more in less time. Also, the entrance to the various rides are very spread out - more so than I've seen in the Dells or at GWL. Very time-consuming to traipse between attractions.

One highlight though, was the FlowRider! Everyone in the family had a good time trying it. We all recommend it, but tie those trunks tight before hopping in!!!

One tip - go FIRST thing in the morning - in our experience, you can do more in 30 minutes in the morning than 2+ hours in the afternoon!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank GracieCNY
Pittsburgh
Reviewed May 30, 2013

My wife and I went with our 22 month old and 3 month old. We had a great time. The majority of the park is inside so it really helps to keep little kids out of the sun. They have multiple water attractions under the same roof so when my 22 month old got bored with the toddler water area we would walk over to the wave pool. When he got bored with that, we would go somewhere else.

The food is OK. If you order room service, and order beer, make sure you get twist off tops. They sell non-twist off tops but have no bottle openers to give you. They had to bring me the one from the bar and while I was popping tops their bar couldn't serve bottled beer. I eventually had to use the hand smacking method to get the tops off so that I wouldn't have to call room service to let me borrow the bar's bottle opener.

The room was nice. It had the full wet bar, counter, and counter chairs. If you are going with a lot of people this would be the room to entertain in. The beds were LOW to the ground and flipped up like an efficiency apartment in New York to get them out of the way. A little weird. There were no drawers so you had to live out of your suit case. That was a bummer but there was a lot of room for our 22 year old to run around.

If you go on the weekend in the summer this place will probably be crushed. Not only do they have something like 800 rooms but they open it up to the public. However, every attraction known to man is busy in the summer on the weekend. We went on the weekday and there was barely any people.

The hotel is supposed to be African but it only had the "brown" tones of paint and some stuffed animals here and there. I never got the sense of being on a safari or in Africa. Some people stated this is not Disney. Yes, that's correct, this isn's Disney. Disney is 80,000 acres. This is 10.

They did have safes in the room so that was nice. The beds were comfortable. It's nice staying in the hotel because you come and go as you want if your kids need to take naps.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to Review your stay. I am happy you enjoyed America's Largest Indoor Waterpark and found activities for the whole family. I am sorry to hear about the beer top fiasco with room service and will send along the suggestion of including bottle openers. I am happy you didn't have to worry about lines in the waterpark. Each day varies as far as the popularity of the waterpark so I am glad you didn't have long waits. Thanks again.
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Kalahari is always clean with great service! We love the over 21 swim up bar area and the candy hut. The game room looks great after being revamped....The staf is awesome! Its great for adults only or families!

Room Tip: We enjoyed the African Queen suite on the 1st level that allowed us to just walk outside to outside...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank michelle c
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to fill out a review. The swim-up bar has been a great hit and I'm happy you were able to enjoy it. Also, the Candy Hut is my favorite place when I want to grab a quick treat. Thanks again for sharing!
east coast
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I will start out by saying this place is huge, bring your walking shoes. We stayed at the "Sands" addition. It is a long walk to the main entrance from here. First the rooms.....they were outdated and the beds were wore out. I felt like I was going to hit the floor when in the middle of the bed (room 2629). Cleanliness of the rooms were average, amenities were average, and the size was small. Food at the resort was just average and extremely overpriced. The water park is nice and also fairly clean. Everything at this resort is priced sky high. My best advice is to bring a lot of money and lower your expectations.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank BBTOGS
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
We very much appreciate you taking a moment to review us and staying with us recently. Thank you so much for the feedback. I am sorry to hear that you found your stay just average but hopefully in the future as we are constantly adding new experiences and updates into the property the next stay will be beyond your expectations. Just a note, we are currently updating all the bed bases this week within the Sands, the area in which you stayed, so that should help alleviate that concern there. Thank you for bringing that to our attention. Looking forward to seeing you in the future. Take care!
Elyria, Ohio
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Nice place to take your children or grandchildren of all ages. Totally caters to families young and old. Nice resort with a great location being close to Ohio Turnpike as well as Rt. 2. There were supervised activites also going on at diffent times throughout the day. Waterpark was very nice and fairly well supervised. My only real complaint was a dresser in the room had drawers that would not stay closed which was a safety issue especially with children. If you didn't want to eat at the resort it was located close to lots of restaurants.

Room Tip: If you get on their email list or on FB you can get some good last minute deals which saves you quit...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
We are happy you and your family had an awesome time visiting our Resort! We hope you were able to experience the surrounding area as well. We strive to go above and beyond so I will forward your message about the dresser drawers to housekeeping so we can get that fixed. Thanks for taking the time to review our resort!
Perrysburg, Ohio, United States
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We went in the winter so the outside attractions were not open but we had a blast! The only thing outside opened was feeding the animals wich we did. My son is two and their was plenty for him to do. Great waterpark!

We stayed two days and also got discounted tickets from facebook, they have deals every monday!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
We are glad you enjoyed your stay. Next time you'll have to come when the whole outdoor adventure park is open! Keep an eye out on Facebook, because we'd love to see you again very soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandusky
Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark
Great Wolf Lodge
Great Wolf Lodge
#6 of 35 in Sandusky
Cedar Point's Hotel Breakers

Been to Kalahari Resorts & Conventions? Share your experiences!