“Nice waterpark, below average hotel”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #3 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I will start out by saying this place is huge, bring your walking shoes. We stayed at the "Sands" addition. It is a long walk to the main entrance from here. First the rooms.....they were outdated and the beds were wore out. I felt like I was going to hit the floor when in the middle of the bed (room 2629). Cleanliness of the rooms were average, amenities were average, and the size was small. Food at the resort was just average and extremely overpriced. The water park is nice and also fairly clean. Everything at this resort is priced sky high. My best advice is to bring a lot of money and lower your expectations.

1  Thank BBTOGS
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

We very much appreciate you taking a moment to review us and staying with us recently. Thank you so much for the feedback. I am sorry to hear that you found your stay just average but hopefully in the future as we are constantly adding new experiences and updates into the property the next stay will be beyond your expectations. Just a note, we are currently updating all the bed bases this week within the Sands, the area in which you stayed, so that should help alleviate that concern there. Thank you for bringing that to our attention. Looking forward to seeing you in the future. Take care!

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Nice place to take your children or grandchildren of all ages. Totally caters to families young and old. Nice resort with a great location being close to Ohio Turnpike as well as Rt. 2. There were supervised activites also going on at diffent times throughout the day. Waterpark was very nice and fairly well supervised. My only real complaint was a dresser in the room had drawers that would not stay closed which was a safety issue especially with children. If you didn't want to eat at the resort it was located close to lots of restaurants.

Room Tip: If you get on their email list or on FB you can get some good last minute deals which saves you quit...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

We are happy you and your family had an awesome time visiting our Resort! We hope you were able to experience the surrounding area as well. We strive to go above and beyond so I will forward your message about the dresser drawers to housekeeping so we can get that fixed. Thanks for taking the time to review our resort!

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We went in the winter so the outside attractions were not open but we had a blast! The only thing outside opened was feeding the animals wich we did. My son is two and their was plenty for him to do. Great waterpark!

We stayed two days and also got discounted tickets from facebook, they have deals every monday!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

We are glad you enjoyed your stay. Next time you'll have to come when the whole outdoor adventure park is open! Keep an eye out on Facebook, because we'd love to see you again very soon!

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We went to kalahari resort in Sandusky on the Victoria Day long weekend and we had awesome time. Everything was great, the waterpark, food, rooms and customer service. My kids loved it too, we would definitely go back and recommend to other families.

• Stayed: May 2013

We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay. I am glad everything was satisfactory. Thanks for sharing and we can't wait to have you back!

Reviewed May 27, 2013

I heard about the Kalahari from some friends at work. I was looking for somewhere to take my wife as a nice surprise for her birthday weekend. We also have a 10 year old daughter so I needed something family friendly and fun. I had considered places like Niagara Falls, Six Flags and Hershey Park until someone told me to look up the Kalahari.

The Kalahari has the best of both worlds if you are looking for fun and relaxation - they have the spa/salon services where I was able to get my wife and daughter relaxing massages and pampering, they have the indoor waterpark (outdoor was closed due to poor weather) with just enough slides to keep you busy, but not so many that you can't ride them all in one day.

They have 2 amazing restaurants. The Karoo had a great breakfast buffet and The Reserve served up one of the best meals we have had, especially for the price. The Reserve was easily the best value of our weekend. The Ivory Coast lounge serves up some fantastic adult beverages and the arcade downstairs is a great place for the kids to have some fun when not in the park.

My daughter and I were also able to have our picture taken with and pet a baby lion. That was a bit pricey for some pictures, but the money goes to a good cause and is a once in a lifetime opportunity for most.

We did not get a chance to visit the zoo because we kept busy with everything else. We will absolutely go back to the Kalahari and will do the things we missed out on.

Also, you are still able to stay all day and enjoy the facility after checking out which is a huge bonus in my eyes. Great job Kalahari!

• Stayed: May 2013

Thanks for giving Kalahari a try! I am happy you were able to try most of the activities and that you found something for the whole family. I am glad you enjoyed your getaway. Thanks for reviewing our resort!

Reviewed May 26, 2013

I must say that I am impressed with this property. It is very well appointed and lots to do. Given that this hotel is only 8-years old, I must say that it is not aging well - this holds true for the water park and the rooms.

My three year old son had a blast. There was lots of dedicated infant/toddler attractions, but we had fun in the wave pool, lazy river, and selected water slides.

I found that the water park, at any given moment, was operating at about 80% capacity. They rotated their staff, closing some attractions and opening others throughout the day. This was a bit annoying as I would wait for lines to dissipate at one ride, only to return later and discover it was closed.

Lifeguards and water park staff were not very attentive, resulting in unnecessary wait times on for the water slides. There are lights at the top of the slide that change from red to green indicating that it is safe to proceed. Lifeguards would appear to be in a daze not realizing that the light turned green. This was very annoying, in light of the above paragraph.

The zip lines are an absolute must. Best $15 bucks I ever spent!

The on-site zoo was very good with a variety of animals. A great break from the hustle and bustle of the water park.

I bought draught beer at one of the bars in the water park. The beer had little flakes in the bottom, indicating that they don't clean their lines on a regular basis.

Our room was very large. It had a full kitchen, allowing you to cook your own meals. Large living room with a fire place and separate sleeping quarters was a perfect set up. As I mentioned above, I was surprised to find out this property was only eight years old. Room furnishing, though fully functional, were very worn out - fridge has large dents, tables and chairs were heavily scratched, and carpets worn out. Given the price I paid for this room, I would expect that furnishings would be life-cycled appropriately.

To say this property is large is an understatement. It was a very long walk from our room to the water park. Ditto for parking and the check-in counter.

I would recommend that you at least visit this place once as it is an experience. I did have a good time. I just don't think overall the value, for my vacation dollar, was there.

Room Tip: Impossible to say given how large this place is and the myriad of room types.
1  Thank 5a25
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2013

Thank you for staying at Kalahari Resorts. I am sorry to hear about a few of your experiences that did not meet our expectations or standards. I will make the food and beverage director aware of the beer lines to make sure they are staying clear and clean. I will also send a message to the waterpark regarding lifeguard standards. I apologize about that. We are glad you enjoyed the Zip Line! Thanks for taking the time to review Kalahari Resorts!

Reviewed May 26, 2013

My wife and I just took our sons to Cedar Point and stayed at the Kalahari Resort and Waterpark. The resort is nicely located only about 10 minutes from Cedar Point and close to lots of restaurants and grocery stores. The resort itself is very large but well planned with lots of activities for kids. Our rooms were very nice and spacious. We got a three bedroom suit with a full kitchen which worked well for us and four teenage boys. The waterpark is very expansive with lots of things to do. The boys were very impressed with the multiple slides and the "flow rider" which allows you to kneeboard. From an adult perspective we enjoyed one of the cabanas that are available for daily rental, allowing you to lock up your valuables, order food and drinks and relax on couches and watch TV. We also found the adult-only in-door/out-door hot tub and swim-up bar to be a pleasant retreat. All in all we enjoyed our time at Kalahari and will be back again. Oh and the Pizza Pub pizza was really, really good!!!

Room Tip: Cabana tip! The resort offers cabanas either on the main level or upstairs. The cabanas on the mai...
3  Thank Demonsden