“Crowded, but still fun weekend with the kids!!!”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Columbus, OH
“Crowded, but still fun weekend with the kids!!!”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We recently stayed two nights at Kalahari Waterpark with our two kids aged 8 and 10. We stayed over President's Weekend so were expecting the crowds to be large which they were. Despite that fact, we still had a wonderful time. The staff was very helpful and courteous. The rooms were large and clean. The large, fully loaded arcade was a good option for the kids if they needed a break from the water park. We didn't wait more than a half hour at any of the restaurants. The food was average but that is not why we came. The water park itself was clean and there were many rides for the kids to explore. Yes, the lines were long; so if going over a holiday make sure you stay two nights so you dont feel rushed. The wave pool was fun and it appeared to have a very nice area for young children. The tiki bar was great and the service was fast! My only complaint is there were not enough chairs for how many people they allowed in. In my opinion, resort guests should have some priority over day passers. Over all, a great winter weekend. We left with happy kids!

Room Tip: Stay on floor 6. It is very quiet; away from the action and noise
1 Thank minnerColumbus_OH
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
We very much appreciate hearing your thoughts and can't thank you enough for taking the time to come visit us! President's Day weekend is a popular weekend, but fun! We're excited that you chose to spend it with us! I did pass along your thoughts for review. Again, thank you so much for sharing. We are looking forward to seeing you again soon! Take care!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (847)
Chardon, Ohio
Reviewed February 18, 2013

This resort was more than I expected had a great time using the facility. The rooms were very clean but had cheap furniture. The water park k has many things to do for children and adults, one if my favorite things was the hot tub. The wave pool was very fun to be in. The lazy river was nice and relaxing and long. The arcade was huge and had many games for all to win but the prizes are lame, the minimum golf was a great time it's glow and the dark but there are only 9 holes. I recommend The Great Karoo's buffet with chocolate fountain very delicious and reasonably priced for all the food you get. The fitness center is kind of small. Great trinket shops and lots of food choices however, wish they had a contenetial breakfast for all. Great relaxing getaway close to home. Loved it!

• Stayed February 2013
Ohio
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We have been to Kalahari several times but I would say that this stay was average. We stayed Thursday and Friday. Thank goodness we came at 3:00 pm on Thursday because we got to enjoy ourselves in the waterpark. Friday was a different story. It was literally standing room only in the waterpark and we decided to leave early instead of 3:00 pm which is when you are supposed to leave. It was a downright madhouse at noon. The waterpark, arcade, lobby everywhere.

We had a one bedroom suite with kitchen. The room was clean and not out of date like many reviewers say on here. Not true at all; this is coming from someone that has worked at hotels for years. I will say though they needed to soundproof the walls better when they built the place. Food at Reserve restaurant was good, we even got some arcade credits with our meal. This time I will say it was average because of the overcrowding. One thing that guests need to realize is that check in time is 3:00 p.m. not noon so don't try to check in and yell at the front desk and have to stand in the lobby until the room is ready. I think this would solve the overcrowding problem. If you want to bend the rules and check early, send in one person not the whole family, 20 suitcases and all your groceries. You should see the poor pitiful bellhops who I am sure will not be getting tipped. You would think that Kalahari could come up with a simple solution to this overcrowding issue. Maybe a resort expert could come in and advise?

4 Thank 24Sony
Thank you for taking the time to review our resort! We're glad to hear that you are a repeat guest, but discouraged that this last stay was just average. Thank you for your thoughts and tips to solutions. We sincerely appreciate that and I will be passing that along to our executive team. I hope you will come visit us again and it won't be so busy for you. Very much looking forward to seeing you then! Thank you for your thoughts again and take care!
Lawrenceburg, Indiana, United States
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We had a blast at the resort! Hotel rooms were clean and the waterpark was non-stop fun. Don't miss the candy store in the lobby....it made my head spill with so many choices.=) Try to plan your trip during a weekday. We arrived Thursday at noon and had no problem with long lines.

1 Thank Doug S
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Candy Hut! Amazing choice! That is a personal favorite too! Thank you for coming to visit us and taking the time to review our resort! We very much look forward to seeing you again soon. I just wanted to send a quick note thanking you and letting you know how much we appreciate you! Take care!
Westerville, Ohio
Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at Kalahari 2-28-12 to 3-1-12. This was our third time here, and we stayed in the Desert room. Room was clean, comfy, and smelled nice. Liked the layout, with the sink in the main room and the toilet and shower in a seperate room. Accommodated our family of 5 very well. The lobby is huge and has so many places to eat and shop! Again, I love the layout of this resort. Downstairs on the main level there's a very big arcade, a restaurant, and a very nice play area. My 2 and 9 year olds loved this. The water park is HUGE and so much fun! There is truly a slide for everyone. The toddler area is perfect for the younger ones and the bigger slides are fun thrills for my 9 and 12 year olds. Waterpark was fairly clean. Found a band-aid in the wave pool, but this is not the resorts fault with so many people there. It really seemed like the lifeguards were trying their best to keep the park clean and safe. Even saw a lifeguard pick up pieces of trash. One lifeguard was particularly interested in assuring my kids had fun. He was working at the Victoria Falls slide and I didn't catch his name but he was very nice. Overall, a very fun, clean, and friendly family resort. Booked to go again 3-4-13 to 3-6-13, can't wait!

Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Family with 8 adults and 4 children... Great fun for most but not for all.

Pros- great waterslides for all ages, spacious rooms, reasonable priced food, and something for everyone.

Cons- waterpark was too chilly for being winter time, hot tubs were luke warm, over crowded and long lines most of the time, uncomfortable beds, and the chlorine was soo intense not good for anyone with asthma or pulminary issues. Got extremely ill with chemically induced chest cold/congestion/asthma. Another negative is that their is not a pool where one can just relax. Either it's the wave pool or pools with basketball. Also, the lazy river isn't a area to just relax due to the waterfalls. Unfortunatly for small children their is only one small play area in the waterpark. For a three year old and 5 year old not much to do.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank whitejewelrdh
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you for visiting us and taking the time to review our resort. It was certainly our pleasure to have you! We do keep the air temperature at 86 degrees in the waterpark. However, occasionally with the dramatic weather shifts, it will take us a little time to keep it at that level. I apologize for this inconvenience for you and your family! I do hope the little ones found Leopard's Lair okay. This section is perfect for the little ones up to preteens, and was just recently renovated. It has a few slides and activities. We also have a chemical specialist on our team that when you return, if you would like to connect with prior about any specifics on chemicals we use, please don't hesitate to let us know. We will be more than happy to do that for you. Thank you again for reaching out to us and we look forward to seeing you again soon! Take care!
London, ON
Reviewed February 11, 2013

This was our second stay here and while we love the waterpark we find the hotel to be a little lacking. We booked a king lodge suite, very spacious, comfortable bed and on the outside it looked clean. However when we pulled the chair over to enjoy the fireplace we noticed garbage and food that had been left on the floor underneath the two chairs. There was also food ground into the carpet in the living area that I was able to clean using a damp cloth so I'm unsure why it had been left. Also, the dishes and cutlery in the kitchen area were not cleaned properly either, though this would be the fault of the people who stayed the last time likely. The kitchen does have everything you need for cooking some meals in your room including a dishwasher. The rooms are also VERY noisy. While I understand it is a hotel geared towards children I will never understand parents letting their kids run up and down hallways screaming and slamming doors. There is a whole waterpark for playing, Hotel hallways are not a playground.

The waterpark is amazing. So much to do and very clean. Lots of lifeguards and places to sit. I especially enjoyed the adult only hot tub as it was nice to relax without any kids around. And you can get some drinks right there which is a bonus.

The restaurants in the hotel seemed to be okay priced, We only had drinks at the one and they were priced well. The menu prices looked okay, not jacked up like some places.

Any staff member I came in contact with was great. Very friendly and helpful. We didn't want our room cleaned on Saturday and they made sure we had lots of towels and coffee without asking. The staff member who checked me in was awesome. I feel terrible now that I dd not get his name. He was very friendly and though we had been there before he explained everything to me again, just a very nice young man.

We were there for a cheer competition and the convention centre was also very clean and well run.

All in all it is a nice place, To stay there is very expensive and hopefully you get quiet neighbours. This time was much better for that as last time we had drunken adults leaving their kids in rooms by themselves while they drank some more.I just wish more parents would parent their kids and not allow them to run through hallways screaming and slamming doors. Use the waterpark to play in and be considerate of your neighbours.

2 Thank Laurie3950
We very much appreciate you coming to visit us again! Thank you! Glad to hear there were still many pros to your trip. I am sorry to hear about the noise and the housekeeping issues in your room. I will be sure to follow up with our housekeeping department to ensure these areas are not missed again. We appreciate you reaching out to us with this. I am sharing your review with our team and our front desk especially. Thank you again for everything! We hope to see you and the family again real soon! Take care!