Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
$72
Comfort Inn Sandusky(Sandusky)(Great Value!)
$101
$127
BestWestern.com
$163
$139
Hampton.com
La Quinta Inn Sandusky - Cedar Point(Sandusky)(Great Value!)
$79
Hotel Breakers(Sandusky)
$228
$150
3,909 results
All reviewsthe reservegreat karoohut roomzip linefull kitchennomad roomcandy hutwave poolanimal parkflow riderwater parkafrican queen suiteoutdoor parkvillage suiteivory coastpizzaswim up bar
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We went to Kalahari on a Saturday before New Year's Eve. My Brother's Family as well as mine went-we had two rooms right next to each other. That was nice, because we were told several times that they could not guarantee that. When it came to pricing-we didn't feel like we got a deal. I called MANY times-like 4-if I have to give up my persistence- asking if $400 was the best deal they had. They always told me YES-and when I said I was looking at Great Wolf Resort for $250 they honestly didn't care. Their answer was-you can put Great Wolf right inside our resort! We had been to Great Wolf in Niagra with my Brother as well, but he insisted that this place was bigger/better-so we went for it.
Rooms: We had the basic room on the ground floor. We were up from the elevators, about half way down the hall. No fireplace-just basic. Clean but not overly special-I would say a nice average room. Beds are really soft-they have like a pillow top-very comfortable.

Waterpark: It was bigger then Great Wolf-but to be honest, the way it was set up, didn't make it feel much bigger. Wave Pool is large-the pictures seem to make it look larger however. Don't get me wrong-I know it is something like the largest indoor waterpark in NorthAmerica-does it seem that much larger, honestly no. Lines seem to always be long for the slides. We went first thing in the morning and the lines were short but the equipment kept breaking-specifically the lifts for the tubes. They would fix and then one would break again. Seemed like this happens often-my Brother who has been 6 times, wasn't surprised. He says it is just something you deal with-and honestly, we did still have fun, just could have been a little easier if they were a little more organized.

Food: We ate at the Reserve for dinner. The Kids LOVED it! The entertainment/DJ was incredible for them-they had limbo, coloring contest, hulahoops, special buffet. Couldn't of asked for more. Our waitress was topnotch-just awesome. Doesn't hurt that they added the gratuity for us-18%, but that was fine, she deserved it! This was one of the best parts of the trip. We also ate at the snack bar-forget the name, downstairs by entrance to park. The wait staff their was wonderful as well. Food was really good too-we had pizza. Icecream in the lobby was a wonderful treat as we were leaving-even though it was snowing-LOL!

Drinks: We bought a couple. I wanted a really BIG one, but I couldn't bring myself to spend the $20-$30 for it! You could refill it for like $12-15 but I still couldn't do it. The regular sized ones were $8-10-they were good, but it killed me to drink more then one or two knowing how much I was dishing out! I guess I am cheap-I just kept thinking, I am already spending a boat load!

Staff: I thought the Staff was good for the most part. The waterpark has a lot of younger kids working at it, and to be honest, they are the ones who really don't seem to be that organized. One will stop and talk with two more and then maybe even two more after that-so you see 3-5 staff talking together often. I think this all goes back to management-I think they are worried about getting in trouble and management has a tight rein-my guess.

OWNER/Management: In my opinion-You come across as thinking you are the greatest thing since sliced bread! While you have a nice place-honestly-Great Wolf IS just as nice. When it comes right down to it-it is how you are treated that really matters. Your front desk people were super honest and great when I asked them questions but they did reference management when I threw a tough one their way, as if they really couldn't answer without checking first. You seem to have super people working for you-don't micro manage them and give them some credit for doing things right-I think everything would be better if you did.

You do have some good deals out there-M-R when you are not as booked up. So, honestly, I don't feel like you do the specials for your guests, you do them to try and fill up. I know EVERYBODY does this-but the days, times, and specifications you put out are so specific-you are totally thinking of yourself first-at least it seems that way to me. I think this is especially true when the only way you can book to stay at your place is through your own system. I tried to do via a travel agent and third party/IE, ANY of the TripAdvisor rate finder options (Expedia, Travelocity, ect). You do not book with any of them-from what I could find. I even asked Your Reservations and they confirmed that for me. What is up with that-I guess you can, is all I could figure?

So, would I go to Kalahari again? Honestly, the verdict is still out. The outside area looks really neat. If I planned it right and could catch one of their special "deals"-maybe. For me, it isn't always about having the Biggest/Greatest-it's how you present it and treat people. You need to work on the presentation and act like you really care when someone tells you they may go to the competition because all truth be told-I would probably go there first next time.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank jkwa2robbins
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Hi There, Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. We certainly appreciate your thoughts and I wanted to ensure you that I have passed them along to all of our team members. I apologize you feel we should price match with our competitors more. While we both have waterparks attached, we are very different establishments, with different experiences. We also, only do reservations through our system, to offer the best rates, we don't use any third party booking engines, i.e. Expedia, Travelocity. I apologize this is an inconvenience for you. We do our best to offer specials as often as we are able, based on availability. I sincerely hope you are able to find one that works for you and take advantage of it. As you can imagine, we have peak times, and slower times, so your experience will vary. The Safari Outdoor Adventure Park, you mentioned, is a blast! I think you would love it. Lots of unique opportunities. Thank you again for you time! I really hope we can see you again! Take care and Happy New Year!

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Let me start off by saying the resort is nice and clean. BUT the lack of customer service ruins all that they do have to offer. I was with my 3 yr old son when we went and they had him in tears they way the lifegaurd treated him. He walked in the womans restroom and the Lg says to him "dont you know how to read" mind you he is 3! An just went on to him about this being the womans, Just her rude nasty toned had him upset. I went to the front desk and they gave him tokens which made him happy but me being his mom I was still so ticked I didnt wanna stay there any longer! But I was told if i check out early I would be charged so we stayed and done the coloring contest which my son was one of the winners but because they had gave him tokens earlier in the day for something else. They never gave him his winnings. I would never waste my time with this place. Take your money else where cedar point has tons of opitons and way lower prices! If you do go there be ready to get treated like scum

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank AnnaW198
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Hi Anna, Thank you for reaching out to us and I am so sorry to hear about your experience. As a mother myself, I can completely understand your feelings toward the situation. I'm glad to hear we get him some tokens, but can understand the hurt you must feel. Please accept my sincerest apologies for this instance. I have sent this to our waterpark managers and director to address this with our team. I hope in the future you will give us another shot to show you just how great Kalahari can be. Again, I am very sorry. Take care and I hope you have a wonderful New Year.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

I stayed a couple nights with my boyfriend as his family. We all had an absolute blast for the most part. On the first day of our stay however, I lost my camera. I must have thrown it in the towel bin with my wet towel as we were leaving the water park! Over the next few days I spoke with various employees trying to locate the camera. One employee remarked to me that someone from Laundry probably snatched it up, which is pretty disheartening. Overall it was very fun, but I'm still bummed about my camera.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Just got back from the resort. We ate in the pricey restaurant. I had a 12 oz strip steak. 24 bucks. It took 30 minutes before I got my salad. Then another half hour for my steak, and my wife and daughters food to come. When we said something to the waiter he just smiled and said, yeah it does seem to be taking awhile, I will make sure they make it right on the bill. They didnt. We paid full price. Gave him a little tip and then left. Wont eat there again. Stupid kids running up and down the halls at 1130 making all kinds of noise, very hard to sleep.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank eric r
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

Sorry to hear about your experience at The Reserve. I will send your review to the manager and our food and beverage director. I can understand the frustration with the time it took to receive your food. I apologize for that. We do have security on 24/7, so if something like the kids in the halls is becoming an inconvenience for your stay, please don't hesitate to let our team know. We will do our best to correct that for you as quickly as we can. I hope you still had a lot of fun and will come see us again in the future. Take care and happy holidays!

Reviewed January 3, 2013

We love Kalahari and visit four to five times a year, typically over night. It's only a 2 hour drive to Columbus, so we feel like we are getting away for a bit. The last time we were upgraded to a two bedroom suite, and they definitely made us Kalaharian's for life...

We only shop deals - keep an eye out for deals on the website or special email offers. The last time we went, we paid $115 for 5 of us in a two bedroom suite. Not bad. The beds are amazing -you literally sink right in.

The arcade room is better than Dave and Busters! Seriously! We spend as much time in the arcade room as the pool...but it can get very expensive.

We love love love the breakfast buffet...but it's just mean to put all that food in our belly before we go downstairs in a bathing suit!

The only suggestion I have is to create a loyalty card of some type. We come a lot and don't get rewarded for that. I'd come more if I did. The waterpark is amazing, but we are kind of used to it now. We have two five year olds, so we spend a lot of time in the wave pool - but in the winter we spend most our time in the spa. Even the kids love it! The spa on the left has bubbles and lights - and they let the kids jump in and such. Enjoy! We love Kalahari!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you! You are certainly amazing! It has always been and continues to be our pleasure to have you! Great suggestion! I will be sure to pass that along to our team! We are glad you like the specials. We do the best we can to get those out there as often as possible. I just wanted to be sure to thank you for your time to write this review and let you know how much we appreciate you. Take care and see you soon! Happy New Year!