We had a great time at the water park for our son's birthday, but unfortunately we had a bad experience in our room: bed bugs. I spotted one while reading in bed, and then another in the bed my son was sleeping in. After taking a picture of the offending creature, I killed it and it apparently already bit one of us, since it exploded blood. Alas. While I was sitting on one of the beds wondering what to do, another crawled across my pants and our choice was clear: We called the front desk and I do have to say, they were immediately reponsive. The head of housekeeping came up, looked at our picture and helped us move. They also inspected the new room with us. Needless to say, we didn't sleep much that night, but our child never woke up since the staff was so respectful about his need to sleep. We did end up being compensated for the stay and the management was very nice and apolgetic about it. I took necessary precautions and hopefully the buggers haven't come home with me. I did find a carcass in the laundry I washed, so I know they tried. I didn't feel like the room wasn't clean-- I think bed bugs are sort of a casualty of a highly mobile society and a place this that has high room turnover. I wish we had been given a cleaning budget-- I do feel like I need to throw out my rolling suitcase since I don't know how to assure bugs that may have gotten in there are out. I also destroyed one undergarment trying to wash and dry everything in super hot water and very high heat. Again, I want to be sure I note how nice the management was about this.
The water park was super-- We all had a blast. The wait was a little long for some rides, but overall, my kid had a super time for his birthday and that counts in my world. (However, if those little bed bugs turn up in my house, I will probably feel differently.)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kalahari Resorts Sandusky provides water parks, Safari Outdoor Adventure Park, indoor/outdoor water park, catering/wedding facilities, spa, salon, fitness training in fitness center, dining options, and more.Over 850 beautifully appointed authentic African-themed guest rooms and suites offer coffeemaker, vacation sized refrigerator, microwave, free high speed Internet access, voice mail, TV, iron/ironing board, in-room safe, pay per view movies, and much more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire so you can book your Kalahari Resorts & Conventions reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kalahari Waterpark Resort
- Kalahari Hotel Ohio
- Kalahari Waterpark Sandusky
- Kalahari Resort Sandusky Oh
- Kalahari Waterpark Hotel Sandusky
- Kalahari Water Park
- Kalahari Resorts & Conventions Sandusky, Ohio