“Another good stay”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Just returned from our annual Thanksgiving weekend stay at Kalahari. I take a couple teenagers and relax on my own. I chose the Adventure Package which includes things I would be buying anyway. Every employee I encountered was so friendly and helpful. I wish I would have gotten their names. The food was good, sleeping was comfortable and the kids loved the waterpark. There was an issue at check in but that was resolved swiftly. Also I ordered a pizza in the waterpark but when I went to pick it up, it was missing. That was resolved quickly as well. I normally am impressed with most everything at this park but this time I do have a complaint about cleanliness. There was a thick layer of black hair over the drain in the shower which makes me wonder how that could be missed. Also, there were several stains on the blanket. The good far outways these couple negatives though so I will be back next year.

Room Tip: I have stayed at Kalahari 4 times and had 4 different kinds of rooms (Desert room, African Queen Sui...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Thank you for visiting us again! So great to hear about our team, but discouraging to say the least about the cleanliness of your room. I will be sure to pass along your message to our housekeeping team. That is unacceptable and when you return, of course, want you to have a flawless experience. When on property, and anything less then perfect arises, please don't hesitate to let our team know. We will do everything we can to make it right. Thank you for continually visiting us and very much looking forward to seeing you next year!

Reviewed November 25, 2012

My husband, myself and two children (12 and 14) recently spent spent 2 nights at the water park the weekend after Thanksgiving. I have to say, that the park actually exceeded my expectations. Though it was crowded, we learned that it was smart to get down in the actual water park early in the day for about 4 hours, yook a break, then went back later, after 5:00 pm. for a few more hours.

It is unfortunate that a reviewer would call the park "dirty" because he found a few band aids in the wave pool. I'm not sure how anyone could blame the staff or park for this. The wave pool is usually very crowded with people (mostly kids). They close it numerous times throughout the day mainly because of "baby stuff" we were told by a life guard. During the closure, the entire wave pool water is recycled before they reopen it. The blame goes to guests, not the park staff. They really do a great job trying to keep the park clean.

Another reviewer mentioned having issues with getting a new park entrance wrist band every day. We arrived on Friday, and wore the same band until we left on Sunday. We were even encouraged to stay in the waterpark after we checked out if we wanted. If you take your band off, yes, you have to get a new one...no brainer.

We found the food at Kalahari very good. We ate at all the food establishments and had dinner at The Reserve both nights. The Candy Hut is awesome. One good thing about all the people that frequent this park is that the food turnover is high. The chocolates are super fresh!

The water rides have something for everyone, from things toddlers can safely enjoy to more thrilling "adult" rides. Food, as well as drinks (even alcohol) is available for purchase.

Our Desert room was spacious, clean and the beds very comfy. WiFi is free and worked nicely

For a 2 or 3 day family excursion, Kalahari was a perfect choice!

Room Tip: We stayed in a Desert Room w/ fireplace in the 4400 block. Real nice, spacious room.
1  Thank HMD63
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

So happy to hear that you had an awesome weekend getaway. Thank you so much for taking the time to spend it with us! Our pleasure to have you. I will be sure to send around your thoughts to all of our team. As I have a feeling you will have made a few of our team members' days! I wanted to be sure to send you a quick note thanking you for taking the time to review us! Looking forward to seeing you and the family again soon!

Reviewed November 24, 2012

Went on Thanksgiving for 3 days. Very nice, large room with view of outdoor waterpark. But, the downside was the waterpark. It was big, and It was nice, but I found at least 5 band-aids floating in the wave pool. Other than that, a nice place. Also, in the middle of nowhere. a step outside the property and your in a ghost town.

3  Thank jward145

We can't thank you enough for spending your Thanksgiving with us! Thank you so much and I hope you had a wonderful holiday! I will be sure to touch base with those that clean out waterpark. We would never want you to feel as though any spot in our resort in unclean. Hopefully we can see you again soon. Looking forward to it! Thanks again and take care!

Reviewed November 24, 2012

We were very pleased with our room. We had wanted one with a king bed instead of two queen beds, but they said it would cost extra so we stayed in the room with 2 queen beds. I really liked the fireplace and the large flat screen TV. We spent time in the water park but we noticed that many sections of it were closed. It was early November so maybe they are open in the summer? Not a lot of choice for food especially at night-- only one place was open. We had a lot of fun in the arcade though.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank TeresaTras
Reviewed November 24, 2012

We recently stayed at Kalahri with our 3 children. The hotel was packed, very loud and under construction. the hotel itself is poorly designed everything is in the lobby but your room could be a 10-15 minute walk away if you are in the further wings.
We made our reservation online several months ago and prepaid as required at the time of the reservation. The entrance to the hotel is very disorganized, unless you want to pay for Valet or a Bell Hop you are forced to park down the hill and cart your bags up the hill to the only entrance to the hotel. Upon checking in and being escorted to our room we discovered it was not the room we reserved. We reserved a room with a sleeper sofa and were given a handicap accessible room without. Upon calling the front desk from the room and being told that there were no other rooms and we could upgrade for $400 a night to another room I proceeded to the front desk where magically another room became available at no additional cost. We made it to our room which was located next to a Housekeeping room but nonetheless it had enough room for our family. Later we found out the being located next to housekeeping room meant loud noises throughout the night and a constant loud humming like a dryer running all night.
Gaining entrance to the water park requires a series of different wrist bands over your stay. Why they could not do like other water parks and have bar codes or just one wrist band I don't know. So everyday of our stay, you must go to the front desk and get new wrist bands.
Their website is misleading. All of the photos of young children and toddler are all without a life jacket. However, upon entering the water park you are approached by several teenage life guards and told that your child must have a life jacket. Having been to other water parks in the area this was new to us as other water parks in the area do not require this. So after walking the entire water park to find lifejackets we then fought with our children to put them on. After which, we were then told again by the teenage life guards that our smallest child a 2 year old 30lb child was in the wrong life jacket. At this point our children have been inside the water park for almost 20 minutes but unable to do anything because we can't find life jackets that we didn't know we needed in the correct size that the teenage life guard wanted. Oh joy! Please note, upon looking in their website several pages in, under safety, in a section with pictures of children without life jackets they note the requirement for life jackets for all guests under 48". If they require life jackets, the pictures should show children in lifejackets. I understand, that the owner wants to keep his liability insurance down but if other parks don't require this, why do you? You most likely have the same insurance company as there are only a handful of insurance companies that insure water parks.
There are only two areas for children in the park. Both pools are a foot deep or less. These are packed all the time. Remember there are 800 rooms in this hotel and they are all there for one reason. This also means that when you want food, and you have to buy it because you can't bring food in, you have to wait in the one and only line inside the park for food for 20-30 minutes to get food, or leave the park and go to one of the three places for food that are packed also.
Nonetheless, we will not be returning to Kalhari anytime soon or at least until our kids are 13 and can go onto slides. We will be speaking to a person on the phone when making our reservation, not using their horrible website. This place is simply to unorganized for smaller children and only has one focus in mind, taking your money. If they want people to come back as their children grow this is not the way to do it. Even at checkout, it took 35 minutes to get a cart for our bags so we could load them up and walk 10 minutes to the front door and then 8 minutes to our car. Because unless you want to spend more money on Valet or a Bell Hop you have to walk across a bridge with no ramp to get to our car. You can't pull around to pick up your kids as you are told to park down the hill to do this.

Room Tip: Reserve over the phone, the website is poor. Get rooms close to the lobby or you are walking 10-15 m...
3  Thank amymike

Thank you for reaching out to us and letting us know your thoughts. I am sorry to hear that our life jacket policy left a negative impact on your stay. Of course this is for your and your family's safety. This is our number one priority and that is the reasoning for enforcing this so greatly. While it can cause more harm than good to have the wrong sized life jacket on, our life guards are taught to identify the appropriate life jacket size, so that the little ones will always be safe. However, this rule only applies to those under 48". Above that, it is at the discretion of the parents if you would like for your child to wear a life jacket. Again, I am very sorry this negatively impacted your stay and your experience, but please try and understand this is for everyone's safety. In regards to your other concerns, we certainly appreciate your feedback and I have already connected with our management team about the different areas to address. Thank you for reaching out to us so that we may be able to pinpoint the areas to improve upon. I do hope we can see you again so that you may experience the level of customer service you would expect and deserve. Take care!

Reviewed November 19, 2012

This is one of my kids' favorite places in the whole world. Their father and I were less enchanted with it, but only because the entire resort is loud, wet, and full of young staffers who are anxious to blow the whistle or keep your kid out of the hot tub/out of some pool he's too short for. It's fun for a weekend trip, but not more than 2 days. The rooms are very nice and the pools, both indoor and outdoor, are incredible. I would have liked some comfortable lounging chairs where Mom and Dad can sit and enjoy the sunshine while the kids play, but no luck.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank LawyerMommy100
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Thank you for visiting us and so glad to hear that the kids loved it. Hopefully when you return, the adults can find a place to have a little escape. We do have an adult only hot tub and a swim up bar. Maybe that would help? Also during the summer, there are lunge chairs outside, near the kiddie activities you can relax at or inside, we do have the roof on the upper deck, which allows you tan, indoors! Hopefully these tips will help. Very much looking forward to seeing you again and can't thank you enough for sending us your thoughts! Take care!

Reviewed November 19, 2012

this was my fifth trip to Kalahari and it was also my last. i have never had any problems before but this trip was a nightmare. first off there was a youth group at the hotel and i don't think there were any chaperones with them because these teens were running through the halls all night long and having parties in their rooms until late at night. at one point, something was thrown off the balcony above our room and made a huge crash noise. then there was when the bars let out. lots and lots of intoxicated people also walking through the halls yelling and staggering until 3 am. we made two phone calls to the front desk to complain and nothing changed. i then got dressed and went to the front desk at 2am to complain in person to the manager on duty and he really did not seem to care. his answer to me about the intoxicated people was that they "were having a good time" and that there was nothing he could do. he then had to have a security guard escort me back to my room because it was not safe for me to go back by myself. if you have children and are looking for a "family friendly" resort this isn't the place to go anymore, go up the road to the Great Wolf lodge instead. it seems Kalahari is more focused on making money at their bars then they are in providing a safe and quiet's night sleep. very disappointed.

Room Tip: rooms on main level are extremely loud
5  Thank nicandalec

I am very sorry to hear about your experience. We certainly appreciate you continually visiting us and I am very discouraged to hear that you will not be joining us again. We do very much focus on families primarily, I want to ensure you of that. We also have a full security staff on at all times, that looks into every complain. I'm sorry that you didn't see the results of that right away. I would never want you to take away this opinion of our resort. If you would allow for me to follow up directly, that would be greatly appreciated, please feel free to email me at KRizzo@KalahariResorts.com and I will look further into your concerns. Thank you for reaching out to me and I hope to hear from you soon.