“Huge waterpark!”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #3 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a great indoor water park with enough rides to keep you busy all day. They even have a water park roller coaster that zips down its tube. The indoor / outdoor hot tub is a great place to take a break and enjoy an adult beverage.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Asa B
Write a ReviewReviews (3,762)

Reviewed November 5, 2012

My daughter competed at a Cheer Competition here Nov 2-4, 2012. Right from the moment you walk in the front door the friendly valet staff to the front desk staff everyone was welcoming and friendly. The room was clean and nicely decorated. The elevators were quick and the venue ran smoothly throughout the weekend. Despite the facility being completely sold out the waterpark was reasonably comfortable. The shopping nearby was amazing. The City has very friendly customer service everywhere we went! Would recommend this facility and the City of Sandusky Ohio as a place to visit :)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank RC0213
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Had so much fun with the whole family. Good restaurants and the waterpark kept us busy all day. Had plenty of entertainment for little kids and adults. Rooms were spacious enough to accommodate our whole party.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank jcarder812
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Went to this waterpark for the first time and gotta say, very impressive! Having 3 small boys is hard enough but to find something that keeps them active and engaged is unheard of! We've been to other waterparks but this one beats the others in terms of sheer size alone. It is massive! We went during the Canadian Thanksgiving weekend and thought it would be packed with Canadian travellers but the place is so big we didn't feel the crowd at all and by Sunday morning it was actually very quiet. The food was great in the dining hall (buffet) and service was outstanding. Only down sides - room was a little tired and the distance to get there and back from Toronto was a bit of a haul (7 hours end to end). Price was a little steep and the cabana rental prices were very expensive but worth it if you need a dedicated spot for changing, relaxing and regrouping. All-in-all, a worthwhile trip!

Room Tip: Try to ask for rooms on the main floor closer to the reception/main hall. Not too close but not so...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Gena C
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Thank you for visiting us for your Canadian Thanksgiving! We're thrilled you choose to celebrate with us. Throughout the year, we offer awesome packages and specials, so hopefully soon you will be able to take advantage of those soon and come visit again! I wanted to be sure to send you a note, thanking you for coming to visit us. Take care and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed November 1, 2012

I recently attended the Kalahari Cup soccer tournament and stayed the waterpark. Both nights the 15 plus people staying in the suite next to my room stayed up screaming, banging on walls, running up and down the halls and making serious noise. The first night, after calling the front desk and getting no help, I actually knocked on the door of the people and told them that my girls had an early morning game and would like to get some sleep. At 11:45 they finally settled down enough to let us sleep. The next night they had two whole teams in the room and turned up the radio full blast. At 11 p.m. I called the front desk (It's supposed to be quiet hours after 10) and they sent up the security guard who spoke with the team's coach. At 11:30 I went to talk to the coach after I quite clearly heard him outline to the children how unrealistic I was being that they would be quiet. One of his players slammed the door in my face. I called the front desk again, security came again and apparently the manager came up as well. At 12:15 I called again and the clerk told me that the manager had told them to continue to have their party but they had to stop at 12 o'clock. Obviously there was little sleep going on in my room and I had a 4 hour drive ahead of me. The next morning the manager offered me breakfast...even though I had told them the night before that I had to be at the soccer fields quite early. That was all she could do and proceeded to tell me that they want the children to have a good time while there. I wanted my kids to have a good time too but at 211.00 per night I believe I should have had some expectation of being able to sleep. The team will be traveling to Sandusky again next year but I don't believe I will choose Kalahari, Great Wolf is right there as well.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank Linda P
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Thank you for reaching out to us and choosing to stay with us during your daughters soccer tournament. I am sorry to hear about your experience with the late night noise and can certainly understand your concern. I do hope you will accept my sincerest apologies and I hope the team had a wonderful time at the soccer tournament. I will be sure to follow up with the night managers and our security team to ensure our procedures we have in place are enforced at all times. Thank you again for reaching out to us. I do hope you will give us another chance to show you the level of customer service you would not only expect but deserve. Take care and hope to see you next year too.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

I stayed at the Kalahari Resort in Sandusky, Ohio twice. Each stay was a week at a time--once in 2010 and once in October of 2012. One year I occupied a suite, and the other year I had a hut room. Both were very nice.

The Kalahari is a large complex consisting of 890 guest rooms with some cottage suites located outside of the resort, but on the property. There are several nice restaurants located in the resort. They are rather pricey. If you have a family and you are staying for awhile, it would be best to get a suite (in the resort) and purchase your food at a nearby grocery so that you can prepare your own meals. There is a lower priced venue where you can get hot dogs and pizzas near the water park. Also they sell rich pastries, ice cream dishes and yogurts at another concession area.

There is a huge water park, which is a child's delight. I observed many fun activities and several water slides. There is also a hot tub. If your room is facing or close to the water park, you will hear noise during the hours of use. The park closes at 9 p.m. on weekdays and 10 p.m. on weekends.

Another thing to consider, especially if you are handicapped, is the amount of walking required to get to the different areas. If you will be using the conference rooms--ask to be placed close to them. They do have rooms equipped for a handicapped person and you need to request such when booking.

I personally enjoyed my stay at the Kalahari both times. Everyone is so friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank wanderluster77143
Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

Me and my family went last year. We had three rooms that adjoined. It was nice seeing as we have a lot of kids in our family. I had so much fun in the water park. The hotel rooms were very clean. As well as the kitchen we had in our middle room. I loved all the little shops and restaurants. It gave me places to go to get away for a little bit. The swim up bar was awesome because I've never been to one. We went in the winter though so we didn't get to enjoy the outside park. I plan on going again sometime soon. Only complaint I had, which wasn't a big deal, but we had asked for more pillows and blankets, they didn't have any left. With a hotel that big, you'd think they'd have enough to go around. But overall I had a very fun time and I really want to go back.

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank AmberNicolle16
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Sounds like a wonderful time with the family! Thank you so much for visiting and taking the time to review our resort. Thank you for mentioning the pillows and blankets. Aside from safety, the guest experience is one of our top goals, so I checked on this for you. It appears as if we are in the process of redoing many of our rooms and including more availability of pillows and blankets. Hopefully that won't ever be an issue for you again. Thank you again for your thoughts. We are most certainly looking forward to seeing you soon!