“Kalahari is Kindascari”

Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
cleveland
“Kalahari is Kindascari”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2008

This was our third time visiting the resort. It was the least enjoyable. On our previous 2 visits I felt like we were treated well, had clean rooms, and great service. I'm sorry, but when I spend 700.00 for 1 day things should be just about perfect. We stayed on a Sunday night following a 2 day blizzard. Perhaps this may account for some of the lapses in customer service. I am handicapped and use handicapped parking with a visible sticker. There was no valet service at the time, so I had to park my car far away. To park my car I had to ram my car over a foot or so of snow to get into a space. Handicapped parking was not available. My car was now stuck for the evening. After this fiasco, we were welcomed to a dirty room. My 4 yr old daughter ran from the bathroom, grossed out. There was a [--] floating around the toilet. The coffee maker had old coffee and filter still in it, and the dishes looked dirty. Dinner service at the expensive buffet was very poor. The quality and selection was inadequate for a 20.00 buffet. Perhaps food could not get in because of the blizzard. Overall, the service was not very friendly, and not very helpful. When I go to the coffee shop there, I expect to hear "good morning sir, how can I help you", not "ugh...what you want?". On to the waterpark.......Since the last time we were there, the new addition has been completed. It is beautiful. We paid 200.00 for a private cabana for 8 hrs.(a little pricey, don't you think?). It is nice though. This way you have a place to sit down and relax. Otherwise you have to fight for a chair, and have your things non secured. Water quality was good, and not as chlorinated as before. If you are taking your family and want the kids to have a great time, and you have money to burn, this is the place to go. The expanded waterpark is great, and there are other non-water activities for the kids..gameroom, golf, play area. I hope that my experiences with poor service were just an abberation due to weather conditions. I would probably go there again.

• Liked — waterpark
  • Disliked — parking, customer service
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank goatoledo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (843)
Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2008

Unfortunately I did not do my homework and read the reviews on this site as I normally do when I travel. I never pay attention to the good ones as I know these may be bogus but the bad ones are actual guests. I wish I had read some of these before traveling - perhaps I would not have been so upset upon arrival.
Everything you read in these reviews about long lines at check in, lack of organization, lack of management attention, front desk problems, trouble parking and loading and unloading the car, dirty rooms, bad food, etc, etc, etc is absolutely TRUE! In my 27 years of travel and my 25 years of hospitality experience in the hotel industry in Miami and the caribbean Islands I have never experienced such a cluster bungle as this place. Keep your money and go somewhere else- this place is definitely interesten in only your money. You will be herded in and pushed around the entire time you are here. The park may be fun for the kids but you will not find time to enjoy them if you are staying whe the hotel is full - as on a weekend.
Good Luck
Heed the warning - it is not pleasant here. I wrote a 5 page letter to the hotel when I got home but I don't expect a response.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — check in / out, lack of organization, lack of management, cost vs value
2 Thank EXCHEFOHIO
Parma, Ohio, Usa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2008

Bigger is not better. Let's start with the completely insane arrival/
departure area. You can barely park here and there is no communication from the staff as to where you can park to go check in and unload. Arriving and departing is a total nightmare. You have 2 lanes to choose from--valet parking at $12 per day, or "loading/unloading." Good luck with that. About ten cars can park there temporarily. You have to park on the other side of a large pond so your car is really far away. Access over the pond is available via an idiot-created bridge that is not wheelchair accessable--stairs lead to it--and therefore not wheeled-suitcase or wheeled-cooler friendly either. At an amusement/waterpark you should see signs (or maps, or hear recordings) pointing you in various directions--lazy river this way, towels over here, climb these stairs and bring a raft with you in order to ride this slide, etc. The instructions, age/height limitations and other safety info are located on signs at the top of each ride. So you wait in line for 20 minutes, only to find out that your kid is too short, 2 people must ride the Zip Coaster, you have the wrong raft, you didn't need a raft, and on and on. In our case, our 9 year old was close to drowning at the end of the ride because it dropped him head first in 6 1/2 feet of water while a torrent of water poured down on his head. I went first since I was unfamiliar with the ride and found it extremely disorienting--if you wear contact lenses, you have to keep your eyes closed because water is constantly splashing in your face, then you are dumped head first down the chute, only to swim to the surface and find that massive amounts of water are now landing on you and you can't tell where the exit is because you can't open your eyes. The lifeguard had to blow the whistle to help me find the exit. I warned the guard to watch for my son because I knew there would be trouble even though he can swim fine. This is the ride that is like being flushed down the toilet, but I don't know what it's called because there are no signs anywhere. Also, there is a serious safety issue with the communications between the ride operators and riders. Potential riders glance at each other, wondering whether it's ok to go down the slide/chute and no one knows because the operators don't communicate anything. We sat in our rafts waiting for the operator to say something, like it will be just a minute, or you can go, etc. But if you act like you are going down the chute, they holler "Wait! I didn't say you could go!" Exactly--you didn't say anything at all while 8 people are sitting in rafts wondering what the heck is going on. The Zip Coaster broke down while my son and I were 1st in line--the operators said nothing to the waiting crowd. Could they get on a radio or a microphone and make an announcement of some sort?? No, just wait for everyone to leave shaking their heads. The restaurants are outrageously expensive and your car is so far away it's a real pain to go outside the hotel (planned, I'm sure) The only things we enjoyed at this place were the comfy beds and the arcade, and I suspect the reason most adults enjoy this place is due to the large bar in the middle of the waterpark. We will never go back.

• Liked — The large arcade and the comfortable beds.
  • Disliked — Serious safety and organizational problems.
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank brichey1
Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2008

I booked for two nights. Tthat was around a thousand dollars. The restaurants were not very good & the food is expensive.
There are no signs anywhere that you would normally see in a place this size. Whomever was in charge of organizing didn't know what they were doing. There were no signs to find out where to get a towel, no information in your room or on the website about the hours for the restaurants, the waterpark, or anything else you may be interested in. Totally unorganized is what I would say about the whole place. Our phone didn't work the first night, on the second night, the toilet was clogged up, we called & nobody ever came to give us a plunger. We called again the next morning & still nobody came until we were getting ready to leave so we couldn't use it. If I"m paying that much money you would think the least they could do would be to come when we call. The only part about it that I liked was the waterpark. The rooms were set up really weird. The master bathroom was nowhere near the bedroom which is really uncomfortable when you have a few people staying with you. I won't be wasting my money again. The people working there are not very friendly. When we went to lunch, we were told that they weren't serving lunch so we had to go to the other restaurant. It's ridiculous for the staff to turn guests away. I can't even explain all of the issues that I had with this place.

• Liked — The waterpark
  • Disliked — Bad service & the lack of organization.
2 Thank Heather8142
Mentor
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2008

Myself and two children (11 and 6) spent 2 days here over the President's Day weekend and had a ball. We booked a King whirlpool suite and paid the extra $20 for the 3rd person waterpark pass. We were able to check-in early (around 1:00) and also took advantage of the waterpark until 3:00 on check out day. The room looked new and had a fireplace and large flat panel TV above it. The fridge and microwave are always a welcome touch as well. The lounge chair folded out for extra bed space. The room also had a balcony which would have been nice in the summer. The real reason we went was for the waterpark. We have been to Great Wolf Lodge before and this was much bigger and better. My kids especially loved the large wave pool, which I've never seen indoors before. Numeorus lifeguards we're everywhere, and even though it was crowded, being a school holiday, we never had trouble finding anywhere to sit. My 6 year old was even tall enough (42") to go down most of the slides/rides with us. My only complaint would be the food service. We waited for 10-15 minutes to try and order dinner in the cafeteria, but the workers there were very few and far between. We ultimately went back into the waterpark to get food there and take it back to our room. Parking was also a little hike with stairs from the rooms, especially in February!

• Liked — The waterpark.
  • Disliked — The cafeteria food service.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank bcreilly
Brunswick, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2008

We booked online for the Beat the Clock deal which consisted of 2 nights. We have 6 people in our family and the deal we got was a Desert Room for 4 people and you can add up to 2 people for $20 per person. We expected to pay $240 + tax for our family but when we got there to check in, we were told that it was actually $20 per person per day. We disputed the extra $40 in charges since that is not what the website says. The woman who was checking us in was very understanding, but the woman who was assisting her acted like we were taking money from her wallet. That turned us off a bit and I was thinking, ok, here we go, this is going to be the vacation from hell. But, as I write this, it does not appear that we have been charged the extra money, but I thought you should beware. Also, when we checked out, we saw that we were being charged $60 extra for room charges. We never charged anything to our room and in fact, 2 of the places that had charged our room are places my family did not even go to during our stay. The resort is looking into it. We didn't have to pay the extra charges at checkout, but we were told that we may be charged after the investigation. Just something else that you might want to be aware of if you stay at this resort.

The parking left something to be desired according to my husband. He had to park quite a distance from the resort and was a bit irritated by their lack of snow plowing. We arrived on Tuesday in the middle of an ice storm and didn't leave the resort until we checked out on Thursday. According to my husband, when he went to pack our things into the van, he said there was one plow out there (keep in mind this is 2 days after the storm) removing snow and pulling stuck vehicles from their parking spots. So that obviously is an area that the resort can improve on.

We had a Desert Room and it was plenty big enough for the 6 of us. 2 queen beds and a queen sofa sleeper. We fit comfortably. The rooms as stated in other reviews are a distance from the waterpark, but we didn't mind. The halls are a bit chilly so keep that in mind. Our room was very clean when we checked in. I was a little put off because it appears that housekeeping just rinsed our coffee cups out as opposed to giving us clean ones. I only know this because I noticed that one of the cups was chipped when I went to use it Wednesday morning and when I went to make coffee on Thursday, it was the same cup. Its just a horrible yuck factor for me, others may not care.

We packed instant oatmeal for breakfasts, some pop, chips, stuff for lunches, stuff for dinner the first night and then we ordered pizza from the pizza hut the last night. The 20 inch pizza is huge and was plenty of food for our family (and my husband and boys can eat ALOT). The pizza in my opinion was not too overpriced and was quite tasty. The discount coupons they gave us at check in were a bonus.

The waterpark itself is great. It wasn't overly crowed (probably because it was the middle of the week - I don't think I would want to stay there on a weekend) It is huge (no wait for any of the rides) and has something for kids of all ages. Our children range from 15 to 3. The 3 year old had just as much fun, if not more, than the other 3 children. Life jackets are required for smaller children on most of the water activities and the only bad thing about that is that the place to rent the jackets is in a location that one would easily miss. The lifeguards as a whole are nice people but they are inconsistent. In the little kids area, some of the guards didn't care if the children went down the little slides with life jackets on while others would make a fuss and make the parents remove the jackets. We were a little put off by that but it wasn't something that was horrible. Some of the water was warmer than other areas but all in all it was nice. My children did get skin irritations from all of the chlorine. I wasn't prepared so I had to buy some vaseline and baby powder during our stay. Keep that in mind as well if you have little ones with sensitive skin. Benadryl probably would have been helpful for me too.

Overall, I think that the resort was nice. I don't think I would have wanted to stay any longer than we did (two nights) because I think the kids would have gotten bored but I do believe that everyone had a great time and I am positive that we will return.

• Liked — The value
  • Disliked — A bit of trouble during check in and check out
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2008

My girlfriend and I stayed at Kalahari for a quick weekend getaway on a Sunday night. We arrived in the early afternoon and our room was ready for us, which was nice. The room itself was nicely appointed: it was clean, large enough, and the bed was comfy. The only problems with it were a) The television displayed a computer error message when I turned it on, and b) Through the air vent in the bathroom I could hear what was going on in adjacent bathrooms crystal clear. The walk from our room to the waterpark entrance was pretty far, but we didn't mind the exercise.

Neither of us had ever been to an indoor waterpark before, so we don't have much to compare it to, but we enjoyed the rides. The lines were very short during our visit -- the park was definitely not running at capacity (we were told that the previous day they were at 100% -- it pays to go on a Sunday!)

The highlight for us was the indoor/outdoor hot tub with the swim-up bar. We must have spent 2 hours in there alone. The drinks were pricey but good, and nothing beats relaxing outside in warm bubbling water in the middle of winter!

The park is definitely geared towards families with children, with a nod towards single adults. Overall, i was satisfied with our one night trip.

Stayed March 2008