“Great stay and nice upgrade!”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Just came back from my two day stay! It was great! The room was fab and so cozy. Staied two days just for a personnel get away. Everything was perfect and clean and cozy. The water park and hot tub were great. Can't wait to go back. We had a BYOB and it was just what we needed.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Amber M
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Some much needed rest and relaxation... and I couldn't be more glad you chose to spend it with us. Thank you! Very much looking forward to seeing you again soon. Take care!

There are newer reviews for Kalahari Resorts & Conventions

Reviewed September 25, 2012

I always like to start with the check in process first since that's were it all begins. My first tip is that right past where you pull up under the overpass on the right is a loading and unloading zone, so don't just park behind everyone else. I used the valet service, which to be honest with a 16 month old and all his stuff is awesome help. Checking is was like checking in at an airport, way too many people in line and the wait time was fifteen minutes. Once you get to someone at the desk though service is quick, helpful and very friendly. The room we stayed in was on the first floor which you have to go down to and our room was way down the hallway. It isn't too bad to get to the waterpark but it is a little ways, always looking for a better way for them to make it easier to get too it and in. The rooms were okay, two queen beds for the groupon I got to use for the trip, but the rooms were somewhat small. We went to lunch at the reserve restaurant and bar and each had two drinks and two entrees. Both were steak and both were not cooked right, we both wanted medium and I got we'll done and she got rare. Service was good though. Next we went to the waterpark which was clean and well organized, everything was easy to get too. I will say there are lots of cool rides for kids over 48 inches, but if not you only have a couple of options. First is a pool with some hoops, second is a fort area that you could climb but unlike other water parks the slide was for one person which sucked cause our kid is only 36 inches and that is one thing he likes. So basically unless your kid is above 48 inches the fort is useless. There is a kid area that has many small things to climb and has slides on it which was nice, but with our kid we needed more. We did take him into wave pool to hang out for a bit but that wasn't long enough to occupy time. Overall I think this would be a great park for those parents with a kid over 48 inches and parents with older kids, maybe better if you have two younger kids to play with each-other that are under two, but not one under two. The best watermark so far for us has been Boyne watermark. Although it is not as nice looking it has better food and more for young kids. We are going to great Wolfe lodge in Sandusky soon with two kids so check out to see how that was was soon.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank matt h
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

Very glad to hear you were able to take advantage of the Groupon offer. We certainly appreciate hearing your feedback. We strive to have something available for someone of every age, so I am discouraged to hear that you felt we didn't have enough for your little one. Great feedback for us however, as we are constantly updating and making additions to our resort. Hopefully we will see you when the kiddo is above 48 inches, if not before. Take care!

Reviewed September 25, 2012

This waterpark is our family's favorite. The service is great the suites are very clean and well decorated. The outdoor adventure is great for older kids and the waterslides are amazing. The Reserve has great food. The staff goes out of their way to make sure you are satisfied with your stay. We have stayed here multiple times and never had a bad experience.

1  Thank RCfam
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed 2 nights last winter in the hut room and did it again in the dessert room this labor day weekend.The dessert room had a rather shabby appearance, a bit dark and outdated compare to the hut room Anyway, I was grateful that they gave us late check out and we had a great fun although it was too crowded. They had a full day activity during the labor day weekend and it was great things to do for the kids despite swimming. The day after labor day weekend was even better because less # of people. This was exactly what it looked like on my winter vacation in Kalahari last year. Moreover, their ice cream is a must try. Elvis and Chocolate is my favorite. We always buy that when we are there.

1  Thank Fionna A
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Ah yes! The ice cream is a must! Thank you for visiting and taking the time to review our resort. Labor Day weekend can be a busier weekend. Hopefully you can come again another time when it is not quite as packed. I think you would have a blast! We are in the process of updating many of our rooms, so hopefully you'll love the updates! Very much looking forward to seeing you again and hearing your thoughts then. Take care!

Reviewed September 24, 2012

My husband and 3 kids ages 10, 9, & 7 just spent two nights at the Kalahari resort. We had a great time. The waterpark was well run and clean. There were a lot of long lines for all the slides, though. I can't understand why they don't put groups of two together on some of the 4 person raft slides when there is a long wait? The lines would go much faster if they did something as simple as condensing small groups on the rides. The wave pool was a big hit for my youngest, and she spent most of her time there.

The first night we went to the Reserve Restaurant. There was no wait and we had drinks brought quickly. The wait for the food though was an hour and 10 minutes. This is unacceptably long, especially when you have families with children. The next night it was more crowded but the food came much faster. The food was good, but quite expensive! No real deals there.

The breakfast buffet was worth the price, and the food was warm and plentiful. We had no issues with that one. We also tried a few desserts from the coffee place and they were pretty delicious.

Another issue, though, is that the fitness center is quite small and there is nowhere for adults to swim laps when the outdoors pools are closed for the fall. It would be nice to be able to get a little adult exercise.

I don't recommend the petting zoo outdoors. They nickel and dime you for every last sent. It costs $5 to go in, another $2 if you want to go see the parakeets, and other $3 if you want to see the stingray, and of course up to $30 if you want to take a picture riding a camel- as well as charging for food to feed the animals. Ridiculous! Also, th ziplines and climbing walls were not even open on a weekend in September.

Overall, it was a fun trip. It is clean and the water on most attractions was a good temperature. Check in and out was easy. Rooms were clean. We would go back, but would probably just order a pizza in the room, and avoid the outdoor attractions to save money and time.

1  Thank Christine A
Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

We purchased a Groupon that included a room for 4 (which includes waterpark admission) plus 4 rounds of mini golf (which is just a 9 hole course), all for $159. When I called to reserve my room, I expected the $20 charge for my 5th family member, but I was somewhat annoyed that one of the rooms was not available, so I had to upgrade my room was for an additional $20 - making my Groupon not such a great deal. Check in was easy, and had great service from the bell hop. The room was clean, although starting to look tired. The waterpark was clean, with a good number of lifeguards, all on their toes. We arrived Friday afternoon, and left Saturday night. I would recommend finding down times - we did more in 4 hours on Friday than we did in 8 hours Saturday, due to long lines. Overall, it was a good experience, and we would go back.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank smudpu

Our pleasure to have you and so glad you were able to take advantage of the Groupon offer. Unfortunately, the Desert Room style was limited solely on availability so there wasn't too much we were able to do on our end with a work-around. I apologize you weren't able to reserve this room style, however, very glad that you were still able to come. Over the next few months, we will be doing much updating so when you return, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Very much looking forward to seeing you again soon. Take care and thanks much!

Reviewed September 24, 2012

My title says it all. Stayed here for 3 days Tuesday to Friday and was Very much impressed. Room's were Very clean and decorations were classy and suited the theme. Bathroom was spacious and i enjoyed the shower. Jacùzzi was large enough for 2 people . Entertainment for all on the property. Water park. Hot tubs. Mini zoo. Zip lines. After hours disco. Multiple bars and restaurants. Great room service. And just smiles all around. Def would recommend

• Stayed: September 2012