“Great for kids, so-so for adults”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Cleveland, Ohio
“Great for kids, so-so for adults”
Reviewed March 4, 2008

My girlfriend and I stayed at Kalahari for a quick weekend getaway on a Sunday night. We arrived in the early afternoon and our room was ready for us, which was nice. The room itself was nicely appointed: it was clean, large enough, and the bed was comfy. The only problems with it were a) The television displayed a computer error message when I turned it on, and b) Through the air vent in the bathroom I could hear what was going on in adjacent bathrooms crystal clear. The walk from our room to the waterpark entrance was pretty far, but we didn't mind the exercise.

Neither of us had ever been to an indoor waterpark before, so we don't have much to compare it to, but we enjoyed the rides. The lines were very short during our visit -- the park was definitely not running at capacity (we were told that the previous day they were at 100% -- it pays to go on a Sunday!)

The highlight for us was the indoor/outdoor hot tub with the swim-up bar. We must have spent 2 hours in there alone. The drinks were pricey but good, and nothing beats relaxing outside in warm bubbling water in the middle of winter!

The park is definitely geared towards families with children, with a nod towards single adults. Overall, i was satisfied with our one night trip.

Stayed March 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (843)
Cleveland
Reviewed February 27, 2008

We spent a Sunday night at Kalahari with our 5 and 2 year old. We arrived shortly after 12 and after a 15 minute wait to check in our room was ready, a pleasant surprise. We did a "choose your adventure" deal which included a room upgrade (Nomad) and our choice of 4 items. We picked a pizza dinner, children's breakfast, game room tokens, and mini golf. I really thought it was worth the Sunday night price of $199 (much cheaper than Saturday). We spent most of our time inside the waterpark which is fantastic. It has something for everyone. My 5 year old had a blast and still didn't do half of the slides available. He's only 45" and many of the big slides were for 48". But there was more than enough for him to do. Our 2 year old had a great time too. There are several kiddie areas and a lot for the 1-6 year old crowd. There are even some "dry" areas to play in just outside the waterpark entrance. The only downfall of our experience was that there is a lot of alcohol being consumed within the waterpark itself and we bumped into some adults behaving badly. Other than that, we really enjoyed our stay. After only driving an hour, one night was the perfect amount of time to spend here and we'll be back this fall.

• Liked — The wave pool is fun for all ages.
  • Disliked — There were too many adults consuming too much alcohol.
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank EJMK
Mount Clemens, MI
Reviewed February 25, 2008

We loved Kalahari... .. our experience was awesome!! I was a bit skeptical based on some of the horrid reviews I had read on this site, but it was first class all the way. We arrived shortly after 1pm and we were able to check in to our room.The waterpark had PLENTY to keep both kids (5 & 1.5) occupied. We especially loved the wave pool and spent hours there. The place is HUGE and sprawling, our room was the first room off of the lobby area (not quite sure how we got so lucky), definately take your stroller for the little ones. We ate lunch both days inside the waterpark and had dinner at the buffet. The food was good, especially the buffet -which my husband keeps raving about, and I didn't find the food to be grossly overpriced. We did encounter a few teenage workers that were a bit indifferent or clueless, but for the most part the staff was more than pleasant. We are looking forward to a return visit, maybe this time with the grandparents, so we (the big kids) can play.

• Liked — The waterpark and arcade
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank oandaddysmom
Anthem, Arizona
Reviewed February 25, 2008

I recently stayed here with my husband and 4 adult daughters, husbands/ boyfriends & grandchildren. We had a fabulous time. We only stayed 1 night but took full advantage of being able to use the waterpark as early as Noon even though check-in isn't until 4:00 and then again the next day we used the park until 3:00 after we checked out at 11:00. More than enough waterpark for the little one's and us older folks:) We did not experience any of the "filthy" rooms that other reviews mentioned. Our room was awesome. It had a flat panel tv, a fireplace, a patio and high ceilings which gave the room a bigger feel. It also had a table for 2, a microwave and a refrigerator. We booked 3 rooms with the "Choose Your Own Adventure" package. This package lets you choose 3 items from a list of things, free movie, free pizza and 4 soft drinks, free putt-putt, or kids breakfast buffet with adult purchase, or free tokens to the arcade. Tip, the free pizza was great and if you're at the waterpark, there is a pizza/food stand close by. It also included FREE admission to the waterpark for every guest in your room. Upon check-in they had all our tokens and pizza coupons all ready to give us in a little envelope.
Pros: Like some of the other posters said see "Ohiofirmn" 's review, this is a VERY LARGE - massive complex therefore, the parking lot is very big and walks to rooms down halls seems like you're walking forever. One pro is that the lobby was very very crowded when we checked in. I probably waited in line 45 minutes. Now I realize that that is NOT the fault of the resort. We must have come at a busy time to this popular resort. What IS the fault of the resort is not having enough room in the lobby to accommodate all those people. When we came through the front sliding doors there were people crammed everywhere. Those in line waiting to check in and those standing around with all their luggage and coolers and luggage carriers waiting to be picked up. You couldn't tell where the line ended in that mass of people. What's worse is that in that same area there were people waiting to get waited on to buy candy at the Candy Hut, there were people waiting in line for the buffet and the stairs to go down to the waterpark is also in the lobby area. This made the congestion even worse.
I must say though that the line kept moving and when I did finally get to the desk it went very smoothly and the gal was very courteous. Now for us, we were lucky that our room was ready. We were able to go to our room and change and go to the waterpark, But I don't know what we would have done if our room was not ready. We had a lot of stuff with us, too much to put in a locker. We brought it in because it was bitter cold and windy out and we didn't want to make the long treck back to the car. I guess we just got lucky that we got our room. I guess a tip would be to NOT bring all your stuff in until you find out if your room is ready or not.
Another con is that the signage for the rooms and elevators is very bad. We couldn't find our room because different rooms are in different wings of the hotel and signs telling you that are not very well marked. I would suggest, if you have a choice to pick a room number that has a low number like the rooms ending in 01, 02 etc. are by the elevators. Our room ended in ...49 and we had a very long treck down a very long corridor to get to our room. Yes it's what you can expect from a large hotel, but I wish I would have known to ask for a room by an elevator before I went.

The restaurant we ate at was good. No complaints. The mai-tai and margaritas were very good too:)

The wave pool and kiddy parks are great and the water is warm enough for us grown ups to tolerate, although the hot tubs by the adults only bar are very nice too. The lazy river is very nice, but be prepared to get water dumped on you if you don't navigate your floaty around the waterfalls. Sometimes too there are long waits to get on a ride.
ONE WORD OF CAUTION: I would not feel right if I did not mention this. Read and pay attention to the signs before you commit to getting on a ride. When they say extreme ride, they mean extreme. On most of the slides you are completely in the dark and some of them make you dizzy (so let your lunch rest before going on them:) The one that was most tramatizing for us was the Tanzanian Twister. This is the red an yellow one towards the back of the water park. There is a caution for this one: "this ride is for strong swimmers only - pool depth of 6-1/2'. This ride dumps you out through a hole that is like 6 feet above the water and then you are regurgitated in 6' of water that has a strong current while trying to find the surface after you've gulped water and find and edge to grab onto or a lifeguard there is water being dumped on your head from above. NOT very fun for me or my other adult guests. You all may be fine with it. I just wanted to let those who may have pre-teens know that this is an extreme ride. I got dumped in the water upside down and had a hard time reorienting myself. I felt like I was in a giant washing machine. We also stopped and watched other people getting dumped out into the water and at one time the lifeguard had to hit the emergency stop button that regulates the water that is pouring down on you and go and rescue a girl who was going under. I don't mean to scare you but I just want you all to protect your loved one's and make sure this ride is suitable for them.
Other than that ride, my grandchildren had a very very wonderful time. It's grandma who needs to stay off the extreme rides ! :)
/scarlett329

3 Thank scarlett329
Cleveland
Reviewed February 23, 2008

This was our first stay at Kalahari. We have a 5 1/2 year old and a 4 yr. old. We stayed at the Wolf Lodge last year and had fun but with all the hype about Kalahari we decided to check it out. We booked our trip for 2 days in the Desert room with the "kids come first package" Our room was very clean and was ready when we checked in at 1:00. We waited maybe 20 min in line. We had a blast and we could have easily stayed another night. My kids loved loved loved every bit, expecially the wave pool. My son and daughter were able to ride every slide no problem. Even the big slides. most slides were 42' or 48' to ride. my daughter was just barely 48' and they let her go down every slide with us. They have a very nice section just for the little ones too. Thank god we stayed 2 days b/c the place is huge and we wouldnt of got to ride everything or felt rushed if we stayed one night. The lines were not long at all. I think we waited maybe 10 min for the family tube ride...I really liked how you could eat in the waterpark. At Great wolf you were not aloud to bring any food in the park at all. Kalahari you could bring a cooler in if you wanted, they have lots of snack bars in the water park and a bar. Lifegaurds and staff were very nice and the arcade was huge as well. I cant say enough about Kalahari. We did order a pizza in the waterpark twice and it was very good and reasonable. One night we went down the street to Applebees instead of paying so much to eat there. I do suggest packing a cooler for your drinks and snacks.
My family is really looking forward to next febuary already. We met a couple that said they were staying at Cast Away bay and got bored and bought a day pass to Kalahari....

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank ClevelandBestMOM
deeddiva
Reviewed February 20, 2008

Our family recently stayed at Kalahari and had a GREAT time! Our room was very clean, the staff was courteous and the food was great. We did not experience any of the negative things that others have mentioned before.

We booked our stay under one of the specials and it was worth every cent! We had vouchers for the kids' breakfasts and ate at the buffet; the food and choices were both excellent. Each kid received tokens for the game room and enjoyed playing a variety of games.

Our kids (6 and 10) had the time of their lives! The hugs and thank-you's from them said it all to me! We can't wait to go back again soon!

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Nothing to complain about; we're still talking about how much fun it was!
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed February 20, 2008

Wow! I am SO glad we didn't cancel after reading the negative reviews. I am a really picky traveler and began to panic after reading the reviews. We had a great experience keeping in mind we were at a gigantic waterpark hotel!

We arrived at 6pm and walked right up, checked in, went to the room and were in the waterpark within 20 minutes. The park didn't close until 10:00 so we had plenty of time to enjoy all of the rides. The hotel was booked to capacity, but we waited no more than 5-10 minutes for the most popular slides and less than 5 minutes for most. Quite frankly going up the stairs, you are a bit glad to rest while waiting. The staff that we encountered at check in as well as in the park were polite and prompt. I wouldn't call us family, but I didn't feel anyone was rude.

The water park was relatively warm and the water temp was also great. I have a son with no body fat who usually freezes at these places and he never complained in 3 days. There are plenty of places to sit and relax. Yes the food in the park is a bit pricey but what would you expect from a theme park? I haven't been to one that doesn't sell water for 2 or more dollars. PLAN AHEAD! Bring a beach bag with your own snacks and water. Or keep it in your room. This worked great for us. The rooms aren't that far from the park.

The food in the hotel restaurants was good and priced at what I would expect for a hotel rest. Lots of people went and came back with McDonalds from down the street if you don't want to pay the higher prices.

We were in a Nomad room. It was very nice, looked brand new, and was very clean. I had to call housekeeping to get an extra blanket and it arrived in 20-25 min. Not a big deal.

We had a great time and will definately be back!

• Liked — Great waterpark!
  • Disliked — Distance from home