We visited Kalahari at the end of March, 2012. We stayed one night-six people.
Upon arrival, they upgraded us to one of their suites. The upgrade was nice, but we spent little time in the room to enjoy it.
Kalahari is a get what you pay for kind of place. The water park attractions are nice, but the wait times for the slides are generally significant. We waited more than 40 minutes for most of the interesting rides during a weekday stay. Once on, the ride times are very short--owing to the limited elevation available for the slides.
Why Kalahari gets only an average rating from me is because of its management of arguably the best water ride in the park--the wave runner. The park features two of these rides. This ride is clearly one of the main attractions at the park and is featured in many of the resort's advertisements. However, on both our arrival and departure day, the resort operated only one of the two available wave runners for substantial portions of the day. Once you are on the ride, your time is limited to 60 seconds. Yet, the staff running the ride took between 30 seconds to 90 seconds to cycle people through the ride. Accordingly, a waiting line of twenty riders means 30 to 50 minutes to get on the ride. There is simply no reasonable explanation for featuring these rides in advertising and then not running both of them (assuming they are operational).
Kalahari is being cheap by not running the rides that they have available. That is the most visible corner that the resort cuts--if the resort is willing to cut that corner in the open, it is surely cutting other corners in other ways.
Also, beware that Kalahari forces you to walk you and your children through its plethora of pay to play electronic games and arcade in order to enter the water park. No matter how good the water park is, your kids are sure to demand that you drop a fair amount of $$$ in these games, too.
If you are looking for some indoor water fun, the park is the largest in the area. But, the advantage they have at being the largest is lost because they are not committed to operating all of the rides all of the time.
Because the resort and water park are not committed to maximizing the enjoyment of their guests, they get only an average rating from me.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kalahari Resorts Sandusky provides water parks, Safari Outdoor Adventure Park, indoor/outdoor water park, catering/wedding facilities, spa, salon, fitness training in fitness center, dining options, and more.Over 850 beautifully appointed authentic African-themed guest rooms and suites offer coffeemaker, vacation sized refrigerator, microwave, free high speed Internet access, voice mail, TV, iron/ironing board, in-room safe, pay per view movies, and much more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Groupon and Hotwire so you can book your Kalahari Resorts & Conventions reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kalahari Waterpark Resort
- Kalahari Hotel Ohio
- Kalahari Waterpark Sandusky
- Kalahari Resort Sandusky Oh
- Kalahari Waterpark Hotel Sandusky
- Kalahari Water Park
- Kalahari Resorts & Conventions Sandusky, Ohio