I swore after last year's March Break visit that we wouldn't return for awhile, but the kids really wanted to go, and we knew many other families going at the same time, so we went ahead and booked. We went during the Ontario March Break.
We arrived on a sunday, and it was VERY busy. Lots of day pass people. The crowds thinned a little on Monday and Tuesday. We stayed the first two nights in a king lodge suite, which has a kitchen. It was very clean and the king bed was very comfortable. Our last night we moved to a nomad room, I think. It was in the basement of the hotel, and the very last room at the end of the hallway(#1260). It was pretty dingy and the hallway smelled of sewage.
One thing to note - there were at least 7 families that booked as part of a group, and we were scattered throughout the hotel. Unless you book connecting rooms, or a huge suite, don't count on being near your group. I can't believe that in a hotel that size, they couldn't have placed us at least on the same floor. We had asked upon check in if we were near any of our group, and were assured that we were "close". Turns out we were on another floor and not close at all.
The waterpark is exactly as I remembered, but maybe a little dirtier. No one is cleaning during the day - there were gobs of hair, bandaids, soaking wet towels, etc on the stairs to the rides. Do they not hose down the stairs when the waterpark closes? By Monday, a couple of the stairs were closed off and the paint was completely peeled away. I don't know if they did it deliberately in order to repaint it, but it was such a busy time, I would think they could have waited. The ride attendants/lifeguards have no incentive whatsoever to keep the lines moving. And for several of the rides we waited 25-30 minutes. The lines could move much faster if they were more efficient in loading and not so busy talking to each other. Plus none of the ride attendants, except one, spoke to us as we were getting ready to ride. I realize they see hundreds of people a day, but a "hi" wouldn't hurt. No personalities at all. They all look so unhappy.
we ate at the lobby restaurant for dinner one night - can't remember the name. Nothing special at all, but not bad. The Candy Hut is great - smells delicious and the lady working was very friendly. The arcade is a total rip off- I told my kids I'd buy them some stuff at the dollar store for cheaper. They are very strict about height restrictions in the Tree Top Play (the dry jungle gym right outside the water park entry). Must be less than 52" and there is someone standing at the entry at all times. Adult hot tub was nice. Several times during our stay something was closed down (basketball, wave pool, Zip Coaster) and every time I"ve been there the conveyor belt for the Victoria Falls breaks down. This time was no exception. Come on Kalahari, this place is a gold mine. Spend some money on maintenance. I do agree with a previous poster that tubes should be taken out of the wave pool. It's a disaster waiting to happen.
thank goodness we got a great deal. If I had paid full price, I would have been very unhappy. It's not worth full price.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kalahari Resorts Sandusky provides water parks, Safari Outdoor Adventure Park, indoor/outdoor water park, catering/wedding facilities, spa, salon, fitness training in fitness center, dining options, and more.Over 850 beautifully appointed authentic African-themed guest rooms and suites offer coffeemaker, vacation sized refrigerator, microwave, free high speed Internet access, voice mail, TV, iron/ironing board, in-room safe, pay per view movies, and much more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire so you can book your Kalahari Resorts & Conventions reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kalahari Waterpark Resort
- Kalahari Hotel Ohio
- Kalahari Waterpark Sandusky
- Kalahari Resort Sandusky Oh
- Kalahari Waterpark Hotel Sandusky
- Kalahari Water Park
- Kalahari Resorts & Conventions Sandusky, Ohio