My family and I just returned from a 3 day stay at the Kalahari. The hotel in general was huge and very nice, we stayed in a Village Suite and had plenty of space for 3 or 4 more couples to stay comfortably in the room.
It was an overall pleasant experience, the waterpark was big and nice and the expansion that opened in Dec 07 made it even better with plenty of waterslides and things to do. My 4 year old daughter really enjoyed the wave pool and huge kids play area with 2 big kid slides she could go down by herself. The waterpark was also quite warm and comfortable inside and the water temperature a little chilly but not to bad. We rented a cabanna and really loved having a nice comfy place to sit and have a snack or just relax, a little pricey but definitely a must have for next time we visit. There was a baby lion in the lobby every morning and my daughter really liked checking it out, pictures with the lion were 25 dollars so we decided to skip, although overall we found the resturants and shops to be very reasonably priced.
A couple of disapointments for me were that the waterpark really wasn't very clean (this is to be slightly expected since the place is really huge and tons of people running around) and the floors are quite slippery. Also the lifeguards on duty seemed very young and didn't watch the kids comming down the slides very well so you had to make sure your child was pulled immediatly from the slide as to not get plowed into by the next kid comming down (my husband saw a 4 or 5 year old girl get hit at literally full speed by a full grown man comming down the slide due to the fact that the life guard wasn't watching properly). I ordered a candy basket to have waiting in the room when we first arrived and it wasn't there, after calling the front desk it was brought up quite promptly. Also the coffee machine in the room was junk, good thing there is a great little coffee shop down by the waterpark. The room and hotel was clean as far as I could tell, although the maids left a dirty towel and washcloth hanging behind one of the doors in one of the bathrooms in our room.. they also never came in to change the beds or tidy up the rooms. None of this really mattered to much, as we all had a great time and definitely plan on returning sometime in the future. The best tip I could give would be to not spend a ton of money on a huge room and instead go for the more modest room and rent a cabana (cabana, not the creepy, dungon like "bays" for 99$) inside the waterpark for 150$, it is well worth it and has a TV and refridgerator and several comfortable areas to sit, lay and relax.. you DEFINITELY get wore out from all the walking, swimming and stair climbing!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kalahari Resorts Sandusky provides water parks, Safari Outdoor Adventure Park, indoor/outdoor water park, catering/wedding facilities, spa, salon, fitness training in fitness center, dining options, and more.Over 850 beautifully appointed authentic African-themed guest rooms and suites offer coffeemaker, vacation sized refrigerator, microwave, free high speed Internet access, voice mail, TV, iron/ironing board, in-room safe, pay per view movies, and much more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire so you can book your Kalahari Resorts & Conventions reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kalahari Waterpark Resort
- Kalahari Hotel Ohio
- Kalahari Waterpark Sandusky
- Kalahari Resort Sandusky Oh
- Kalahari Waterpark Hotel Sandusky
- Kalahari Water Park
- Kalahari Resorts & Conventions Sandusky, Ohio