Arrived 12/26/11. Stayed in Room 3620 (Hut Room).
Family of 4: 2 adults and 2 kids (9 & 11 year old girls)
Checked in at 12:30pm but our room wasn't ready yet so we were advised to check our luggage with the Bellmen and they would store it for us. We were given 4 wristbands for the waterpark.
The waterpark has a little bit of everything for everyone. The lines weren't too bad but expect to wait for each slide. All the tube rides are very dark. We have been to a few big waterparks (including Wisconsin Dells) and by far these slides were the longest we ever were in the dark during the ride. Some people like those but a little too dark and too long in the dark for our family.
There is a wide variety to appeal to everyone. The wave pool is OK but gets pretty crowded in the deep end. Lots of lifeguards to watch over everyone. The lockers are available all around the outer edges of the park itself but are pretty small. Most people just pile all their stuff on a chair and leave it for the day.
They have 2 FlowRiders (indoor surfing waves). We spent time on both. I would advise skipping the sunken one as the chlorine blast is overpowering. Being a former Pool Manager I can appreciate a higher chlorine level but this even sent me ducking for cover.
We stayed at the waterpark from 1-4:30pm then bailed for dinner. Our room was ready so we checked into it then changed and out we went.
Be advised to be prepared to walk, in our case, some distance to your room. If you get booked in the 'Sands' part of the complex (the 'cheap' rooms) then you will have about a mile walk to get to the park (all indoors though).
Our room had 2 Queen beds, a mini-fridge and microwave. Plenty of room to store all your luggage. Had a mini-balcony (but being December we didn't get to enjoy that this time). Beds are very comfortable but pillows are a little too thick. If you are picky you might want to bring your own (saw plenty of people with theirs during check-in). Bathroom is a little small but the tube in the shower is deep enough to swim in. Full closet for storage too.
Upon our return it was still busy but did start to thin out as the night carried on. We stayed from 6:30 to 9:30pm then called it a night.
Up bright and early, and a little sore, the next morning at 9am. We checked out and were told that we could use the park until 3pm. The park doesn't open to the general public until 10am. Definitely take advantage of this as the lines were 1/4 as long.
Ate at the snack bar in the park. $4.50/slice of pizza (cut ours in half to make 2 normal sized pieces). $7 for a chicken tender basket (3 pieces & fries). $2.50 20oz. bottle of pop. Expect theme park prices. Quality was actually pretty good.
Only 1 place to pick up towels (at the entrance) and they are pretty tight with handing them out. 1 per person.
Air temp is OK on sunny days but the worse the outside weather and more overcast the cooler it gets in there. They keep it pretty warm but after 6 hours in the water you tend to be a little more sensitive to the changing air temp.
All the staff was very friendly and willing to help out with whatever you needed.
There are plenty of places in the complex to spend more $$$ like the arcade, the Candy Hut, etc. so be prepared to spend a lot or tell your kids 'No' a lot.
My room was booked online for $199.97 which then totaled as follows:
State Tax $13.64
Huron Township Tax $6.30
Erie County Tax $4.20
Resort Fee $9.95
Overall it was a nice place to spend a night and enjoy time with the family if you can get over spending at a minimum $250 for a night/day with them.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kalahari Resorts Sandusky provides water parks, Safari Outdoor Adventure Park, indoor/outdoor water park, catering/wedding facilities, spa, salon, fitness training in fitness center, dining options, and more.Over 850 beautifully appointed authentic African-themed guest rooms and suites offer coffeemaker, vacation sized refrigerator, microwave, free high speed Internet access, voice mail, TV, iron/ironing board, in-room safe, pay per view movies, and much more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire so you can book your Kalahari Resorts & Conventions reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kalahari Waterpark Resort
- Kalahari Hotel Ohio
- Kalahari Waterpark Sandusky
- Kalahari Resort Sandusky Oh
- Kalahari Waterpark Hotel Sandusky
- Kalahari Water Park
- Kalahari Resorts & Conventions Sandusky, Ohio