“No need to stay anywhere else” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kalahari Resorts & Conventions

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Pittsburgh PA
“No need to stay anywhere else”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2007

This place is phenominal! Very clean, nicely decorated, spacious, fun, very unusual, staff very nice, wish we could have stayed longer. The combination suite was just what our group of 7 with teenagers needed. We did not get to eat at the restaurant but visited the deli on the way out and the food was very good. We ate at the Baci nite club at the Comfort Inn, I know it sounds weird at a Comfort Inn, but the food was fantastic and really the only fine dining we found. It is independent of the hotel and so worth the trip if you are tired of park food and looking for a good meal with actual tablecloths and napkins! The drinks were good too!

Stayed September 2007
2 Thank BBLovesToTravel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (838)
Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2007

The hotel is absolutely amazing! My kids would honestly rather go here than Disney World.....which is saying a lot. Half of it is indoors, half is outdoors. We happened to be there on a day it rained, so EVERYONE and their grandmother was indoors.....which made it extremely crowded......not very enjoyable for dear old dad. However, the kids had a blast, I showed off on the surf jets, and raced my kids down the slides. The only thing that I absolutely hated was when we tried to pull up to the entrance to unload, there was literally about 100 people standing around trying to do the same thing. They REALLY need to get this corrected and more efficient. BUT I have to say overall, this is one of the highlights of my family's year, and my kids talk about it for months after the trip. However, you will need put a second mortgage on your house to go. IT IS EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!

• Liked — AMAZING FEATURES!
  • Disliked — CROWDED AND EXPENSIVE!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank zimmazimm
Clarktson, MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2007

Check in was smooth, our room was actually ready a bit early. Only problem was that the "manager" who checked us in failed to give us the "extras" that we were supposed to get as part of the package. We ended up getting them later.

First room (4419) was really nice to look at. Only problem was at about 11:30 at night after the kids were asleep and we turned off the TV, my wife and I noticed that the room had a constant vibration and humming noise that was REALLY annoying. We tried to sleep through it, but the pitch of this noise was at a level that almost drove me crazy. So I finally went down to the front desk at about 1 am and explained the situation. The maintenance man came up and said, "yup you've got a vibration/noise problem". So we walked back down to the front desk and were given the option to have 1/2 off our room and they'd find us a new room the following day. Knowing that there'd be no way that I could sleep, I asked if they really had no rooms. The gal stated that she did have a "late check in room" which she could give me (I hope so at 1am). So we had to pack our stuff and sleeping kids and trek across the hotel to our new room, which was awesome. A suite with 2 rooms and a nice family room. Despite the problem with the first room, we were happy with the back up.

The water park was really fun for our kids (age 2-17). Had different things for each of them. My only issue was the length of wait in some lines. I think if they would limit the park to hotel guests only, this would be allevitated. Due to rain the entire time, the outdoor activities were not available

Our little ones liked the play area too. Like a McDonald's play land on steroids.

The arcade was quite large with lots of options. Again the kids had fun

Food was over-priced and average---what you would expect from a resort like this

Thanks to Bryan for fixing the issue related to my son's surfing lessons. But shame on David for his rude/unhelpful attitude.

A good time, priced about where you'd expect for a resort like this. The staff was responsive to our "issues". The addition (opening at the end of the year) should be nice. We'll likely return some day after that.

• Liked — lots to do
  • Disliked — long lines, one bad room
  • Stayed August 2007
1 Thank herephishy
Ottawa, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2007

We booked a two room suit room for one night (sept 1) The room was VERY nice and clean. My girlfriend and i are both 23 and the other couple who stayed with us were 25 and 29. The water park was pretty much a joke for us because i was expecting more cedar point like thrills out of it. All four of us had more fun on the lazy river then any ride. We were lucky enough to have good weather outside so we took advantage of it. The out door spa they have was VERY nice. We walked over to the very reasonably priced bar that was close to it and grabbed a few drinks and sat in the spa for most of the day. It turned out to be very relaxing. We had a suit on the pool level so we just walked right out our patio door to the water park. I read a lot of reviews before we left and for the most part they all seemed to say the prices were very steep. They have obviously never been to cedar point? I grabbed an order of nacho's and paid $3.50 for them. At a place like this, i thought it was a very good deal. Im not sure if the spa or the out door bar was the best experiance there. They have sand volleball and shuffle board right outside the bar. The bar had 8 huge tvs and a very cool DJ named captin ron. They had free activities for the kids to do all day that seemed really neat. Cookie decorating and watermellon eating contests and jump rope contests. The kids looked like they were having the time of there lives while the parents could sit down and relax with a cool drink. I highly recomend the amaretto sour they make at the outdoor bar and if you sweet talk the girls at the front desk you can get a bunch of coupons for half off drinks. $2.50 for a huge drink is a pretty good deal. The food at the Kauhunaville restraunt was all really good and again very reasonably priced. If you visit make SURE you grab some of the chocolate covered strawberries from the candy store. We took two dozen home with us. After the exiting trip we didnt even want to leave so i went to the front desk and talked to the manager about another night stay. They ended us letting me have another night in the two room suit for $99 (it took a little sweet talking) Second day there was even better since we had all day long to enjoy the sunshine and spa outside. Bring sun screen next time we go! The staff was VERY friendly and pretty helpfull. The wrist bands can be used to charge things to your room like drinks and food, very convienent but it adds up really fast. I dont have any complaint about my stay expept for the indoor water park wasnt really fun for the younger adult croud but i pretty much expected it to be like that. I will be returning as soon as they get the new addition done at the end of the year!!

• Liked — The room,bar,pool
  • Disliked — everything was awsome
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank rmkleman
Toronto, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2007

Just returned from a 5 nights stay at the Kalahari Resort in Sandusky Ohio.
All I can say is that I can't wait to go back when their new expansion open at the end of this year. The hotel is amazing with great rooms, we had an hospitality suite and the room was huge and very clean, and the African theme is great.
The waterpark is amazing and with those high temperature from end of August 07 really enjoyed the outside part of the park.
My 7 years old daughter also enjoyed the kids activities offered all day long by very friendly staff.
We didn't use any restaurant service as we have a simple rule never eat in the hotel we stay in, like to go out , so can't comment on their quality.

Some minor dislike :

staff at the waterpark and registration need to be more friendly.
selling waterpark ticket to outside guest may lead to overcrowding.
like all other waterpark we have stayed NO real swimming pool is a minus.

At $199.- a night +tax we found it's a good value.

If you like to get wet and having fun at it it's a great place, and not only for kids/teen, I'm 41

• Liked — African theme, great rooms, waterpark
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank LionelTrains
Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2007

Arrived at noon, to get our money's worth out of our one night stay. We were given our wristbands, but room was not ready, no problem. This is where they need more signs or directional info. We wandered around quite some time just trying to find things. Noticed this in the waterpark area also.
Room was not ready until after 4:30pm, which a little earlier would have been nice.
I don't have a problem with the walk to the room, its a big place, what do you expect.
We had the combo suite, huge for the sale price we got on the website. One room with bathroom, 2 queen beds, table and 2 chairs, micro and refri. then a connecting room had living room with pullout sofa, balcony, dining area with table and chairs, full kitchen, bathroom and a separate bedroom with a king bed. Very large room and nice. Thought we would cook to save some money on food. Cooked dinner and breakfast. This is the main complaint: dishes all seemed dirty and had to be washed before we used them and then had no kitchen towels or dishcloths so had to use bathroom towels and only one thin potholder, so I burnt my fingers getting pans out of the oven. Tile floor throughout seemed dirty so I always wore shoes on it. Also was a lot of trash on the carpet outside our doorways of our rooms, which was a real turnoff right away. I think they need to hire more cleaning staff to get the rooms done better and quicker on sold out days.
Waterpark was a lot of fun for the kids. There was a lot for my 2 year old to do at the outdoor waterpark but only one small area in the indoor waterpark. I don't think I would come in the winter with very small children for this reason.
Waterpark was fun, lazy river was nice. Snacks in waterpark (nachoes, pretzels) good and reasonable price. Ice cream at the candy hut is very good and very reasonabley priced.
I did not find a problem with the parking lot. We did not have to park that far out and the kids liked the walk across the bridge.
The arcade was great, a lot of games to pick from. The tree top play area is nice, but was afraid to leave ny two year old alone in there with some of the rough kids.

• Liked — Large room, arcade, outdoor waterpark
  • Disliked — Cleanliness issues
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank MichiganMomof4
G.R. Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2007

This was our first time staying at this hotel. We picked this as an alternative to staying in one of the Cedar Point owned "resorts". We came to Sandusky for a visit to Cedar Point, but ended up having just as much fun at the Kalahari resort. I would definately recommend this place to anyone with kids 1-15 years old. I don't know how anyone could not have a good time there(unless you or your kids don't like water). The rooms were very nice and clean. The staff was very friendly.
If you are considering staying here instead of a cedar point resort, I think it's worth it. It's only about a 10 minute drive from cedar point.
We are looking forward to a return trip here in the future.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple