“Overall a fun trip with some great memories made!”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Maumee
“Overall a fun trip with some great memories made!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2011

My wife and I along with our two boys ages 5 and 11 stayed for two nights at Kalahari for the first time. Our first impression driving in was something along the lines of "Wow this place is big!" Kind of remided me of the scale of those Las Vegas resorts without the casino.

The Hotel
Check in: It was busy when we arrived but I had no problems. Very fast and friendly service. Got the room key and directions to the room in no time. Great service there.

Room: Pros and Cons with the room. The room itself was pretty nice and had a nice flatscreen tv on the wall. The beds were comfy but had to request extra pillows which were sent up immediately after we asked for them. That was great. There were a few things I didnt like however. The room we stayed in was in the Sands building which is not very close to the water park. It is a long haul back and forth. I found it odd that we didnt have a sitting chair in the room. There were a couple of wood chairs that were with a table that was attached to the wall but no other comfy chair you normally find. I like to be able to sit in a chair and not have to always sit on the bed. Just a personal preference. The table was a bit small and useless. The last thing that I didnt like was the light outside the window on the balcony. Even though we had room darkening shades the light was so bright that it lit up the room more than I like. At night I like my room dark. House keeping took forever to get to our room and when they did they sloppily made up our beds and didnt even vacume.

The Water Park

The waterpark was great! The slides were awesume and the staff seemed very nice. The downside was that we were there on the weekend and the park got really crowded and the lines got really long. All I can say is I hope they expand the water park more to accomidate. At one point it got a bit crazy with all those people we decided to take a break. There was a line to get into the park stretching all the way into the arcade. I do appreciate the fact that hotel guests are allowed to enter the park and hour before the non hotel guests. Its amazing how much riding you can get done in that hour without the long lines.

We ate lunch at the Reserve which was nice. We had a view overlooking the waterpark from our table. They brought out a tray with carrots and ranch dressing which was a hit with our kids. I also ordered room service from our room and had huge 20 inch pizza delivered to the room. Very good and the person who made the delivery was very nice and asked us how our stay was.

Other thoughts
All in all it was a great trip. You can overspend if you are not careful. We were shocked when we heard how much they were charging for one of those giant frozen drinks people were carrying arround. It was almost 22 bucks! I thought the mini golf was a bit pricey, it would have been nice to have a coupon or voucher for that when staying at the hotel. The kids liked the decorating the cookie thing. Didn't have time to do the pottery craft and have it fired in time. The arcade really chews through money. My son won a jackpot on one of the machines and was all excited until he saw what you can exchange your tickets for. It would be nice if you could pay cash to make up the difference to get something they really want. Chuckie cheese lets you do that.

To sum it up

Its a great destination. Just plan ahead, there is a fridge and a microwave in the room so you can bring snacks and your own drinks. Try not to get put in the Sands building because its really far from the waterpark. There is shopping and other restaurants off site just minutes down the road if you want to eat elsewhere. Oh and good luck finding parking when its busy. If you find a good spot you may not want to leave. You do have the option of spending extra money to have the valet park your car. There was no shortage of luggage carts so that was great. All in all it was great fun and awesume memories were made.

1 Thank buzzs
KalahariResortOhio2, Guest Relations Manager at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, March 16, 2011
Thank you for your detailed feedback regarding your stay. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the resort and had several positive items to reference. I have forwarded your comments regarding the cleaning of your room to our housekeeping department to review. Again, we value our guests feedback and appreciate you taking the time help us improve our service.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (843)
Livonia, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2011

We went to Kalahri during the "kids come first special". We waited from 6:30pm until midnight to get any food. The Reservation rest. burned our food and it took forever to get some edible food. They were overbooked and not prepared for all of the families. I was told that over 4,000 people were there on Feb. 21st. Our t.v. was broken and the showere was too. Overall, for bad experience for us.
I wiil say that we have been there before and we had no issues and we were pleased with our visit. It appears that are not ready for larger stays. They need more staffing and to be prepared when they are expecting a large group of people. They did compensate us for the food issue. We will never go back again when it is that busy. To say we were disappointed is an understatement. They were out of extra blankets and pillows when we were there.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
KalahariResortOhio2, Guest Relations Manager at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, March 10, 2011
We would like to thank you for providing us with your feedback regarding your recent stay. We also apologize that this stay was not as pleasant as your previous stay. We will certainly address the issues that you stated regarding our service with the appropriate department heads. We pride ourselves with providing an experience that goes beyond expectation, and that was not the case. Please contact us directly to discuss your concerns further.
Carleton, mi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2011

Very nice stay. Room was clean and comfortable. All staff I spoke with were friendly and helpful. My seven year old loved the arcade and free crafts. Pottery place was fun, but they really need to stock up on small peices younger kids would enjoy. We brought most of our own food to avoid the crowds(and save $), but we did have dinner at The Reserve. Food, prices and staff were very good.
It was very crowded Saturday afternoon. We used the waterpark early to avoid the lines, by late afternoon it was crazy! Wave pool I believe was not safe at that point. Note* avoid the outdoor animal park. $5.00 per person to see one camel and a handful of goats. Animal park should not charge this time of year!
We will go back, but will avoid Saturdays!

1 Thank Pennyjane_MI
KalahariResortOhio2, Guest Relations Manager at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, March 8, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. I am glad that you enjoyed the variety of amenities that we have to offer. I will forward your comments regarding Pottery Pizzazz and Safari Adventures to the appropriate department heads for review. We look forward to serving you again in the future.
Michigan

- Lots of variety
- Crowded
- Noisy
- Good safety practices, although there were A LOT of people in the wave pool

- We only purchased food inside the water park. It was okay and a bit overpriced.

Overall, it was a good short vacation. The service was helpful and the water park was fun.

1 Thank ljmach
Thank you for your quick review of your stay at our resort. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the water park. We pride ourselves on providing exceptional service, and I am glad to hear that you found our staff to be helpful. We hope you will choose Kalahari Resort for your next vacation destination.
Wooster, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2011

We just got back from Kalahari. This was my 4th time and my husband's 2nd time visiting. We were really dissapointed with our stay. We both felt that Kalahari has expanded to quickly and has not been able to keep up with the demands of a larger business. It's great that they want to add rooms and expand the convention center however they have not chosen to expand the indoor water park. Where are all these people supposed to go????

The waterpark was extremely crowded. I think there were several large groups staying for the weekend. I wish they would make that information public; we would have chosen a different time to go. We saw several things we shouldn't have.....teenagers being inaapropriate in the adult hottub; inappropriate behavior while standing in lines for rides. It was just nasty.

We were also dissapointed in the restaurant. We went to both the dinner and the breakfast buffet. The desserts and pastries were cold and they tasted like they had just been taken from the freezer. The service was very slow for dinner.
When we got home my husband remarked that he was dissapointed in our stay. He had been there when Kalahari first opened. He felt that it was somewhat run down now and wasn't impressed. It will be a long time before we go back.

1 Thank woostermom
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. We appreciate the feedback that you provided and will utilize it to improve our service. Your comments have been forwarded to the appropriate department heads and your concerns will be addressed regarding the behavior in the water park and your dinning experience. Please contact us directly to further discuss your stay with us.
Carrollton, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2011

Have been to Kalahari several times. For some reason this time we ended up in the Sands building. It was about 4 miles away from everything and a total inconvience, and the same price. When I made the reservation there was nothing that stated I would be in the sands building. The waterpark was beyond busy and there was no place to sit or put your stuff down. We had to wait in line for everything, even the ONE hot tub. The food lines were atrocious and the wave pool was downright dangerous with all the people in there. The chlorine was very strong and burned your eyes as soon as you walked in., My son's face was beet red the moment he went underwater and said it burned. Beware if your child is under 48 inches because they will not let him/her anywhere without a life vest. The last time we were here, this was not the case. My daughter is 6 and good swimmer but had to wear a life vest in everything, even the tiny kids pools. I understand that some parents don't watch their kids, but if a parent is present, making them wear a life vest is a little overboard. Kalahari is no different than anyone else; their bottom line is to rake in the money. Their claim to fame is the waterpark, everything else is mediocre. I will not be back for a long time, if at all.

2 Thank emeek
KalahariResortOhio2, Guest Relations Manager at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, March 7, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. We know that safety is as important to you as it is to us, and we regret that you were disappointed with our life jacket requirement. We apologize that you were also unhappy with the location of your room. As the largest water park in North America with close to 900 rooms, there may be some rooms that are further from the entrance to the water park than others. Please contact us directly to allow us the opportunity to discuss your stay.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2011

The place can't handle the crowds at busy times. Very frustrating.

• Stayed March 2011
3 Thank ddddd1
With the Kalahari Resort Sandusky, OH location being the largest indoor water park in North America, we do accommodate a large number of guests at one time. We would be happy to discuss the specific details of your stay with you. Please contact us directly.