“Great room at a fair price!”

Best Western Plus Sandusky Hotel & Suites
Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Florida
“Great room at a fair price!”
Reviewed June 22, 2007

We stayed here 2 nights. Very nice accomodations since the property is brand new. Marble walled bathrooms and large size rooms. We wanted a roll away, but the property has none since the rooms will not accomodate one. Kind of strange though, because the rooms have sofas (non-sleeper). This property is adjacent to a less desirable Comfort Inn. The reason I mention that is that if you want to swim, you have to walk 200 yards to get to the Comfort Inn's pool since the Comfort Suites does not have a pool (or a guest computer). The buffet attendant was rarely present and many items were missing and unavailable ( including any fresh fruit). This property is probably great for Sandusky and Cedar Point, but they need to get their act together some. We would probably stay here again.

• Liked — Very nice oversized room.
  • Disliked — No roll aways, no pool, no guest computer, slow elevator, lacking buffet.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Raymond131

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Eagle, Michigan
Reviewed May 13, 2007

Our room was spotless and everything looked new. The clerks at the front desk were helpful and friendly. Our room wasn't as large as a suite sounds but we were happy to have the couch and desk. It gave the four of us enough room to be comfortable. The bathroom was large with plenty of counter space. The breakfast food was fresh and plentiful. There were many bread products, cereal, juice, coffee, sausage, fresh fruit, and make-your-own waffles. We ate early so didn't have to deal with a large crowd but it looked like the room would be very crowded by the time we left and people started to arrive in a steady stream. We will definitely stay here on our next visit. My only problem was with all the dead plants in the lobby planters. It would make a better impression to get rid of the dead plant material and leave the planters empty.

• Liked — Clean and spacious
  • Disliked — Dead plants in the lobby
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank deblykin
Ontario Canada
Reviewed November 20, 2006

Stayed at Comfort Suites in Sandusky November 16th.

Everything about this property is first rate. Spent the previous night at The Hampton Inn in Milan Ohio, a few miles down the road (right at the turnpike exit) and paid $20.00 more for a room
that didn't come close to matching those at The Comfort Suites.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Bobarb
Nw Pa
Reviewed October 10, 2006

The five of us just spent the weekend at the Comfort Suites in Sandusky, Ohio. The whole experience from check-in to check-out was great. The rooms were spacious, and we utilized all of the amenities that were offered. Having the shuttle available to get to Cedar Point was an added bonus. We regularly go for Halloweekends, so we will definitly return to this hotel.

5 Thank judyanne55
Delaware Water Gap, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 9, 2006

We stayed at this Comfort Suites from October 6- 10, '06. We had a very pleasant stay, and the room was very clean (I'm a clean freak when it comes to hotels). The hotel being brand new also helps this fact. Housekeeping did a very good job, I think they even bleached/cleaned the bathtub every day (its sparkling white) and I was comfortable enough to shower without shower flip flops and take a bath.

The decor is updated, with granite countertops in the bathroom and granite shower walls. The floor is a stone tile. The carpet was very clean (I was comfortable walking around without shoes), and the furniture was new. The beds are quite high, so remember this fact when you're getting up in the morning! The beds were comfortable and I felt well rested after each night.

TV channel selection was good. Plenty of storage (closet and dresser). Ooo and also free internet!

The only annoyance we experienced was the morning of the 7th. There was a family with children moving out around 8am Sat. We got in the night before after driving 7.5 hours at 1:30am. The noise of the door perpetually slamming and the children racing down the halls over and over again was well heard from inside our room. Despite this, the hotel was empty the rest of our stay so it was very peaceful. I can imagine the hotel is much noisier during the normal theme park season. I think the staff should tell people to be mindful when they shut the doors (they are very heavy and slam loud) b/c it is heard within the rooms, as well as talking/running.

The hotel was conveniently located by Cedar Point Amusement Park. You just make a left out of the parking lot and keep driving straight until you see signs for CP. There was a lot of road work going on so it was a little trafficky, but it's probably much more trafficky during the main theme park season. We left half an hour before park opening and got great parking and beat the rush to some of the ride lines (We walked into the park 10mins before opening). It was also Halloweekends, and it was a lot of fun! Definately recommened, and if you like rollercoasters, RIDE TOP THRILL DRAGSTER AND MILLENNIUM FORCE!!!

Although it is a Comfort Suites, the room wasn't exactly a suite. Its one big long room with little half wall things on each side of the room. This wasn't a big deal to us though since we saw pictures before hand and knew what to expect. We even posted a picture to this site of the room we stayed in :)

We chose this hotel b/c the rate was good (50something a night), the reviews were good, and there was a microwave/fridge. I would've liked to have a kitchen but we just "precooked" everything (taco meat, pasta) at home and reheated it in the microwave. Great way for a college couple to save money!

I hope this review helps anyone. If you are a light sleeper or cannot tolerate any noise, I would probably bring earplugs for the in season.

• Liked — Comfortable, New, Clean, Convenient, Great value
  • Disliked — Poor soundproofing - Keep quiet please!
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring earplugs during in season, go to Cedar Point!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
10 Thank lizbrady85
Nevada
Reviewed August 3, 2006

Checked in Sunday 7/24/06 for a 2 night stay. Front desk staff is efficient and quite helpful. Room is on 3rd floor overlooking the back parking lot.

Room *is* just an over sized room. The “half room” divider is, in reality, just a 2 foot deep half wall on one side (sort of like what you find in bathrooms) and not even 6 inches deep on the other side. 2 very TALL double beds, a dresser w/TV and a nightstand is on the far side of the room.

Desk, couch, coffee table, fridge (larger than dorm room sized), small microwave and coffeemaker are on the other side of the room. If you drink more than 1 cup a coffee a day, bring your own supplies, including a cup -- you get 1 little small 4 cup coffeemaker, with 1 package of coffee, in the 2 days we were there, we never got stocked with coffee cups.

A single closet with French doors (with 10 combination hanger pants/skirts clips) and an in-room safe (which was not used) are across from the bathroom. 2 overhead “dorm room” lights are over the sleeping area and right in front of the bathroom. Window actually opens, which is a plus not having to turn on (and listen to) the AC unit.

I must say that I have NEVER seen so many electrical outlets in a hotel room before in my life. Each lamp even has an outlet in the base. TV has about 60 cable channels, including CBC from Windsor, Ontario!

Bathroom has generous counter space with a single sink. Bathtub is somewhat larger than most with angled headroom. Bigger bathroom than most budget hotels because when you close the door, there is actually knee room when the toilet is being used.

Beds were quite high, almost needed a ladder to get up on them. Sheets were thin but clean, as was the comforter and blankets. Pillows were quite plump but small. Mattresses were soft but, because the sheets were so thin, you could actually see the buttons and indentations of the mattress through the sheets.

On the nightstand was a combination CD player clock radio which, no matter how much I followed the instructions, did not set the time properly.

Corridors were wide, carpet was clean. Only drawback is lack of soundproofing, as stated in earlier reviews. Other doors can be heard to slam, loud conversations can be heard from each room you walk past and TV in connecting suite next to ours could be heard readily.

When we checked in, I asked about a hotel bellcart so I wouldn't have to make separate trips for all the stuff in the car. I was told there was only 1 cart and it "hadn't been seen in a while". I only saw it Tuesday morning as we were checking out! The elevator is EXTREMELY SLOW. If you don't have a lot of things to carry, it'sbetter to take the stairs. Or else you will STILL be waiting for the elevator!

The continental breakfast hours have changed to 6.30-9.30AM. When we went down at about 8am, the place was jammed and people were standing in line outside the room.

The room is actually a small narrow corridor-like space, in which there is NO room to literally turn around. The room is about 12 feet long by 8 feet wide, with the food along one side and 3 small tables on the other side (gobbling up much needed space). Next door, in an identical narrow room, were about 10 more tables.

Food: 3 types of dry cereal (cheerios-like, frosted flakes-like and what might have been raisin bran granola). Oatmeal packs were also available. 4 kinds of sliced breads, 3 different kinds of mini muffins and 2 different kinds of danishes were available. A big bowl of canned fruit salad. There is a waffle maker, but the line was too long to make any waffles. Lukewarm, almost watery coffee (reg/decaf) was available. There was a good selection of different flavors of tea bags (not just the usual Lipton brand).
I went back later and most of the items were gone. I asked for more mini muffins, but was told they only put out a certain amount in the morning so when it's gone, it's gone.

WARNINGS:
1. None of the perishable items (such as milk, cream cheese, butter pats) were kept cold (either refrigerated or on ice) which could lead to spoilage and/or illness.

2. Big signs on every wall told people NOT to take food out of the room. I grabbed my coffee and left.

3. If you are claustrophobic, do NOT partake of this experience.

The pool is next door at the Clarion Inn. There is an indoor pool connected to an outdoor pool. The indoor pool REEKED of chlorine so much that my eyes were watering. We went outside and while the pool was on the smallish side, it was perfectly adequate for my son to play in. There is an outdoor bar for adults as well, which was a nice touch.

It would have been nice to have a patio area at the Comfort Suites set up with tables to sit at outside, but I could not find anything like this except at the sister property next door. There are 2 benches right outside the front door to the hotel to sit at, if you don't mind cars pulling up to load/unload while you are sitting there.

There is free high speed Internet in the rooms (user agreement required each time you log on through the Ethernet cable on the desk) as well as wireless access in the lobby and the benches out front.

Wireless in the rooms would have been nice as well, so that you are not tied down to the desk. But, since it is free, I'm not going to complain too loudly!

Small arcade/game room for kids - my 11 year old son said all the games were "boring" and "old". There were only about 6 games to play.

There is a free shuttle bus that comes once an hour -- only at 9 & 10AM -- to take people to Cedar Point. At 9AM (which we somehow missed) it was a big converted school bus, with hardly anyone in it.

At 10am, it was a small airport type shuttle bus, which stopped at another hotel and was soon jammed packed with people standing in the aisle.

At the end of the day, starting at 5.30PM, they run every 30 minutes or so. However, the 9:30PM bus didn't show up, so at 10pm (park closing time) the little shuttle bus was overcrowded even worse than the morning. I thought the driver was going to suggest people somehow attach themselves to the roof.

The hotel advertises free newspapers, but the reality is they have *only* 10 free copies of USA Today at the desk. Like the food, when they're gone... they're gone. I guess putting a copy in front of everyone's room (like in other hotels) gives off a “luxury hotel” feeling that the owners of this hotel don't want.

All in all, a good, relatively clean hotel to stay in. A bit overpriced for my liking ($65/1st night, $95/2nd night) for what you get. The lack of any remote resemblence of a "continental breakfast" is a deterrent.

Last year we stayed about 20 miles away in Port Clinton for $45/night with a huge breakfast & indoor pool. Is it worth spending almost twice as much to stay at Comfort Suites? I'm not so sure.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
14 Thank 9g1a6j
Michigan
Reviewed July 31, 2006

We stayed at this property for one night while visiting Cedar Point 2 consecutive days.

I'm not exactly sure when this hotel opened, but there is still oddly undeveloped land separating this hotel and their sister chain, the Comfort Inn. Hopefully, they'll use this land to build additional parking or a nice pool. As other reviews state, the Comfort Suites doesn't have their own pool, but direct guests to use the Comfort Inn's next door.

During check-in, one of the three employees behind the front desk was complaining to a friend on her cell phone about an incident earlier in the night. The one lady who helped us was very cold and didn't offer much in the way of a friendly experience. Their check-in process included filling out a form with your name, full address, vehicle make, model and license and signature. I haven't had to list my name and address on anything during a hotel check-in for many years (think 1980s).

The room itself is definitely not a suite. There is no partial room divider, unless you count the 6 inches of drywall that separate the bed from the couch (sleeper sofa). To me, a suite is a room with a separate bedroom. The furnishings were all fairly new and in relatively good condition. The mini refrigerator was nice for our beverages, but we didn't use the microwave.

Be sure to pick up drinks at one of the local stores or gas stations if you need more than a single serving. The vending machine drinks were $1.75, which isn't much less than you pay at Cedar Point.

We needed another pair of towels in the morning before we left for the park, but the front desk attendant told us she thought they had given them all out the night before (??!!??). After about 20 minutes, housekeeping was able to find us 2 clean towels and promptly delivered them.

The single elevator in the hotel was extremely slow. Many people decided to take the stairs. I think the hotel is only five stories tall, so it's not too bad unless you have luggage or kids in tow.

We visited the continental breakfast to get a couple cups of coffee to take back to our room. The tiny room was filled with people to the point you could barely enter through the closed door. Then you are greeted with several signs that say "FOOD OR DRINK MAY NOT BE TAKEN OUT OF THIS ROOM -- NO EXCEPTIONS!", which I found rather odd and obnoxious. We still took our coffee back upstairs, but chose to eat breakfast elsewhere. Besides the crowded room, the food didn't look all that appetizing compared to traditional hotel continental breakfast fare.

Another odd thing I realized about this hotel is that they have no concept of "express checkout". No bill under your door, no call on your way out, key drop box, etc. I had to wait for 15 minutes - precious time when you're in a hurry to get to the park - while the 2 front desk attendants helped one lady figure out how to take an extra 5% off her bill with a coupon and a gentleman who had a complaint about the shuttle service. I asked the lady checking us out if they had offered express checkout and she confirmed they did not.

I won't stay at this hotel again because there are certain services I prefer in typical 3-star chains (Hampton Inn, Courtyard, etc.), which this hotel simply doesn't offer. Also, the employees are not overly friendly and seem not to care much about providing quality service to their customers. If I return to Sandusky, I'll more than likely stay at one of the two area Hampton Inns.

• Liked — Newer rooms and relatively clean facility, Refrigerator/Microwave in room
  • Disliked — No Pool, Poor Service, Parking was partially on a steep hill, Poor Continental Breakfast
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay elsewhere - but beware - many hotels in Sandusky are heavily used and terribly abused and run down.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family