“A perfect choice”

Ranked #8 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
London, Canada
“A perfect choice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

We were planning on visiting Cedar Point during Labour Day weekend and found Breakers Express to be an affordable and convienent choice for the family. Located just down the road from Cedar Point on Cedar Point Drive making it a short drive to the park to help get a jump on your day at the park. Our package included a day pass to the park, free parking at the park and 2 nights stay at Breakers Express and also 2 buffet breakfasts at Mango Mikes located in Castaway Bay across the street from Breakers Express. The rooms were normal size the beds were comfortable. There is also a heated outdoor pool which we didn't find to be very warm and at 3 1/2 feet at the deepest point it's easy to scrape your feet and a whirlpool which was nice and warm and relaxing yet busy. There is also a lifeguard on duty which is a good idea with so many children as guests.
If we return to Cedar Point in the future we will likely stay at Breakers Express.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Jim_Christine2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

We stayed for one night after going to Cedar Point. I was very reluctant to stay here because of the reviews but it seemed to have the best reviews compared to Hotel Breakers and Sandcastle Suites and we wanted a CP property. The room was ready when we arrived at 9 am. There were two staff members at the desk and we only waited a couple of minutes to be helped. We thought the lobby and other areas of the hotel we could see looked more than adequate. Our room was great. It was clean, we had hot water, the tv worked - we didn't care whether it was flat screen or not as long as it worked! I checked the sheets just out of curiousity and they were maybe 4 inches too short. I am 5' 6" and my feet did not reach down to that area so had I not read it here, I would never have known. The only thing that fell short were the pillows - they were flat but I called housekeeping when we arrived back from the park and they brought extras up to us, so that took care of that problem. The pool and hot tub area was clean. They had towels in the building for pool use. There were plenty of chairs. We have stayed in plenty of 5* motels/resorts as well as plenty of 3-4*s and we found absolutely nothing wrong with this place - even the price was fair considering the proximity to the park.

3 Thank jtdl
Port Huron, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

The hotel has an excellent location less than a mile from Cedar Point, and right across from Castaway Bay. The staff were very professional and extraordinarily friendly. The room was of average size. A sweet aroma akin to caramel corn greeted me as I entered the room. The decor was in bright colors which was fitting for a Cedar Point resort, although a bit dated. Abstract modern art adorned the walls matching the bright colors of the room. The mattress was firm but comfortable. The only cleanliness issues I saw were several long hairs on the bathroom door frame and a couple of stains on the walls. Overall, I would stay there again because it is the best value of the Cedar Point hotels, and if you're going to Cedar Point you're not spending much time in your hotel room anyways.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank tonyrosado
Clifton Park, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

Family stayed 8/19/12 to 8/25/12 & booked 3 rooms. Beds were rock hard, mold in the bathrooms, sheets didn't fit (still using flat sheets for the bottom,) pillows were old & flat, TV was old (for the price we expected a flat screen, I guess,) no microwave/fridge avail for these rooms, front desk manager on duty (8/19 at 7pm) told us what he couldn't do instead of what he could do. After some pressing, he made the necessary calls to accomodate the issue. Housekeeping was great. Breakfast & servers at Mango Mikes were great. Pool was nice but was less than 4ft deep. Free parking & early admission into the park was great. Kids loved the coasters. Soak City was fun. Dinosaurs Alive was cool.

In general, although this is Cedar Point's economy hotel, one should be able to expect that staying on a property offers a better experience.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Sandusky hotels

Windsor
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

The Hotel is pretty decent but the rooms need some updating, had a tube TV and beds are getting worn. Overall the building is okay and the walls seem thick as I could not hear my neighbors. Dairy Queen and McDonald's within a short walk . Free WIFI and has an outdoor pool and hot tub and my room was clean and check in was fast and they had my room ready at 9:00am when I had stopped to get my tickets to the park.

When Booking for cedar point you get early entry and tickets for $32 (reg $45) and free parking at the park valid until your check out date ($12 a day) for a family of five we saved $77 for these perks which makes staying here a better value then staying at other hotels. We also had the option of getting into Cast Away bay waterpark for $10 a person.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

I planned a trip to Cedar Point for my husband and I and two other couples. Even though I was a little skeptical,Breakers express seemed to have the best deal (early entry, parking pass, discounted tickets..) so we decided to stay here. NEVER AGAIN!!! the other two couples decided to stay from friday to sunday but my husband and I drove down saturday morning. When we arrived the front desk was very helpful. They gave us our park tickets and parking voucher and even allowed us to check in at 8am. this was probably the only good part of the hotel. upon arriving to the room we were greeted by stained walls and old decor. the bathroom counters were dingy and it looked to be a dead bug behind the toilet. we pulled the sheets back on one of the beds and they seemed clean. Since my husband felt the room was sufficient ( I did not) to sleep in for one night, we headed for the park. speaking with the other couples we invited, they stated their rooms felt the same way. one of the wives even slept fully clothed because she was so uncomfortable in her room. After a long day at the park, My husband and I came back to the room to find the biggest fly we had ever seen! we tried for 10 minutes to kill it but it dissappeared. my husband then sat on the bed to make a phone call to the front desk. as he pulled back the covers a giant spider flew from inside the bed to greet him. Now feeling uneasy, he then pulled back the covers of the other bed to find that the fly had been hiding in there, possibly laying eggs in the bed!! we immediately called the front desk and told them we needed a new room. They gave us a room on the second floor and came to the room to inspect and make sure there were no bugs in the room. The walls were still stained but it seemed slightly cleaner than the previous room. Because of pure exhaustion we decided to take the room. After being at an amusement park all day in 90 degree heat all you want to do is take a shower right? WRONG! when I turned on the shower I soon realized that the drain was extremely slow. the water never went out of the bath tub. My husband and I literally had to stand next to the shower and get cleaned off because we did not want to put our feet in the tub. who knows if the dingy tub was even clean before we ran the water! we ended up sleeping with no covers and the light on all night to make sure nothing came crawling out. The discounts we received for the park are definitely NOT worth staying in the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 2nd floor seemed cleaner but none of the rooms are really "clean"
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Sarnia, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

If you are going to Cedar Point this is a great place to stay. Don't expect anymore than that.
The good:
- It was clean and did the job of providing a place to sleep.
- Pool looked nice, didn't go in it though. It had a lifeguard

The bad:
- Check-in went smooth and we ordered a roll-away bed to be delivered and paid for it up front. This was at 9pm (we checked in after the park closed). We went for a late dinner to TGI Fridays right across the road (great drink specials btw). Came back and got into the room around 11:30pm. The bed wasn't there. Called down to the front desk, explained that we ordered a rollaway bed to be delivered to the room and that it wasn't there yet. The lady then proceeded to say "We have been very busy tonight; we even have overbooked the hotel. The bed will be there as soon as we can get it there" and she hangs up on me.

First off, it's 11:30pm at night, when is as soon as we can get there mean? Also, what do I care that you overbooked the hotel and you have guests in the lobby?

Anyways, we went down to the laundry/service room and found an employee walking up and down the floor. We asked him if he would bring us a roll-away bed up to our room and that we would just like to go to sleep. We walked with him and the roll-away bed up to our room and he was extremely apologetic and said that he would see to it that we got our money back for the bed. Which we did go down and get our money back with no hassle.

My only suggestion is to improve the front desk manners; a small gripe but something that happened at the end of an otherwise fantastic trip to Cedar Point!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends