“Tasty!”

Lee's Famous Recipe Chicken
Ranked #33 of 188 Restaurants in Sandusky
Cuisines: Fast Food
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I stopped at Lee's on my way home from Cedar Point. The chicken was so good, I wanted to say, "Colonel WHO?" I loved the jojo fries, too. I wish we had a Lee's back home! Great value!

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I am from Springfield Ohio and Lees is a staple there. When I moved to Columbus there wasn't a Lees in the city anywhere. So going there was like a taste of home.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

Lee's Famous Recipe Chicken has the best quality chicken I have ever had in my life. I eat Lee's once a month and have always had great quality food and service. I usually take Lee's to go and have never received an order which was not 100% accurate. Recently they have done an interior and exterior renovation which was needed and the new design compliments the business well. I cannot say anything but great things about this restaurant.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

The staff at the drive thru window are ALWAYS unfriendly. The chicken is often times not cooked well. The order is wrong more times than not.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

When it comes to fried chicken, I consider myself a connoisseur. KFC has been going downhill for years, Popeye's is good but a little too greasy, and Culver's has some great tasting chicken when it's available. However, none match the greatness of the fried chicken at the Sandusky Lee's Famous Recipe. My brother and I are such big fans that we make at least 6 visits per year, which for us is a 160 mile round trip trek to the chicken mecca on US 250 (about a mile or so from Cedar Point Amusement Park).

I'm not quite sure what it is about Lee's chicken that makes it so good. Perhaps it's the thin yet crispy breading that has honey as one of its ingredients. Perhaps it's the complete lack of grease. Or perhaps it's the big, meaty pieces. Whatever it is, Lee's Famous Recipe is absolutely delicious. Their mashed potatoes are also good. The gravy is a bit strong, but for some reason, it works. And no trip to Lee's is complete without their outstanding potato wedges. These thick wedges of potato are breaded in chicken batter and deep fried to perfection. Add in a biscuit and it's a perfect meal. It certainly isn't healthy, but that's what makes it so good!

Lee's has two other types of bone-in chicken as well, Spicy Crispy and Oven Roast. Both are good, but I prefer the "Famous" version best. They also have giant chicken strips, boneless wings, country fried steak, and even livers and gizzards for those brave enough to eat those bird parts. The decor is very 1970's, however there has been a recent renovation that may give it a more 80's look. ;) The employees are a mixed bag. Some are very helpful, some could care less, and one of the long-time employees (I believe he is a manager) keeps the place running efficiently even when the crowds are a little crazy. Believe me, this place does a great business, especially during the peak tourist season from June through August.

I rarely rave about fast food joints, but I feel this one deserves it. If you like chicken, you are going to love Lee's. In my opinion, it doesn't get any better than this.

1  Thank rayp1970