“Peaceful night away”

and 1 more site!
Farrell House Lodge
Ranked #1 of 9 Sandusky B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 15, 2013

My parents and I decided to meet halfway between Detroit and Cleveland for a visit and made the perfect choice when we found the Farrell House Lodge. It was easy to find off Route 2 for both of us. As mentioned, the grounds are beautiful-filled with willow trees and a trout stream running throughout. Fishermen were there fly fishing and it was fun to follow the stream and see all the fish swimming around. You could sit in several beautiful sitting areas inside the house, in the back area or on the front porch in the rocking chairs which my parents enjoyed. There is a Kuerig coffee maker available at all times so we had our coffee/tea whenever we wanted it. There was a room where the beer and wine was available on an honor system as well. You just wrote down what you took and it was added to your bill. The suite we had was up a flight of stairs and beautiful. Our suite was room #1. It was very large with 2 queen size beds and a fireplace and sitting room. It overlooked the back yard. It was very quiet-even with the wedding party who were having a wedding there the day we left. We had dinner there which was delicious-we enjoyed the perch. The service was relaxed and not too speedy, but we were not in a hurry and enjoyed just visiting together. We took a side trip to Marblehead which was close to visit a friend. What a quaint town-I walked up the lighthouse and we enjoyed lunch at an old hotel in Lakeside. I had no idea this Lake Erie area was so beautiful! The next time I go, I would like to visit the neighboring winery that Doug told us about.Doug, the owner, was so helpful and kind. We enjoyed talking to him-he has a beautiful place. I am sure glad that I looked on Tripadvisor and saw the reviews for this place. They are accurate and I am sure we will visit again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

We decided on staying here for our trip to Cedar Point and couldn't have been more pleased! The grounds are spectacular and beautiful. I don't fish, but I could see all the trout swimming in the streams. Great breakfast. Modern rooms with an old feel. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed August 16, 2013

My new husband and I decided to take a trip to Cedar Point to get away right after our wedding, and we decided a B&B would be more relaxing (and much nicer) than one of the resort hotels in Sandusky. We lucked out--Farrell House Lodge is just lovely. Doug, the owner, is so welcoming and friendly, and is obviously (and justifiably) proud of his beautiful B&B. He took the time to help us figure out where to head for our first dinner in town, and when we said we wanted to take a look around the grounds, he suggested a nice route for an evening walk.

Our room (#3) was large and comfortable, with a big bed, comfy chairs, tv on the wall, and plenty of closet and drawer space. (There's also free wi-fi, and we never had any trouble finding or keeping a signal.) There were lots of nice little touches around the B&B that we appreciated, too--for example, the tower fan in the bedroom closet (perfect for sleep-enabling white noise), the plastic cups in the bathroom for late-night drinks of water, and the incredibly well-stocked self-serve, honor-system snack bar on the ground floor.

Breakfast both of the mornings we were there was fantastic--coffee ready for us when we came downstairs, and several breakfast options to choose from. The first morning, we went with eggs, ham, toast and fruit, but I can't tell you what my husband had for breakfast the second morning, because all I can remember is my angel food french toast. (Yes, you read that right: ANGEL FOOD FRENCH TOAST. I now can't imagine why anyone would ever make French toast out of anything else. I don't know how often they serve it, but you should DEFINITELY request it.)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We choose to stay at Farrell House after a failed effort at finding a B&B on Kelleys Island--and what a wonderful surprise! The owner was very flexible and welcoming. As soon as we drove up I said it looked like "Twelve Oaks" from Gone With the Wind. The building has so much charm on the 150 acres it sits on. Our room was a huge suite with its own bathroom. It had a fireplace and large windows that overlooked the property and the properties large trout stocked lake.

Breakfast is buffet style, and though not an extravagant delicacy that you may find at a B&B on Kelley's Island, was plentiful and had plenty to offer for two vegetarians.

I would definitely visit again when I return to the Sandusky area and would spend more time exploring the vast and deliciously lush grounds.

Room Tip: We were in room 5, king size bed with bathroom ensuite.
1  Thank Kristin139
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We recently stayed at Farrell House on our way from Pittsburgh to Ann Arbor. Our room was very comfortable & clean, breakfast was tasty and enjoyable. But the key highlight of the visit was wandering through the 130+ acres of Sunnybrook. Such a beautiful place. We can't recommend it highly enough.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

We recently spent the night here before a trip to cedar point. I recommend showing up early so you can enjoy the beautiful grounds and play pool in the games room with the old juke box. Our bedroom and bathroom (attached) were very modern, comfortable, and clean. The walls are a little thin, but it wasn't a problem. Doug and Linda were very nice and the French toast at breakfast was delicious. I highly recommend staying here on a trip to Sandusky.

Room Tip: Call Doug and ask. He's more than happy to help.
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Put-in-Bay was our targeted destination (for my wifes birthday) and I really wanted to stay someplace relatively central to both the Sandusky and Port Clinton areas. My only prerequisite was to try and stay away from the big "generic" hotels that are packed to the seams with guests destined for Cedar Point coupled with how we love to try out different B&B's throughout the area.

Enter Farrell House Lodge.

Very easy to get to, pretty much at an intersection of Rt 2 and Rt 6. When you pull into the property you realize the breadth of the estate. As you cross over a wooden bridge at the front of the driveway, you can't help but notice the winding lazy streams that criss-cross throughout the expansive acreage. But more about the property later ...

OMG!!! What a FANTASTIC and beautiful B&B!! Our proprietor, Doug, was there to meet us upon our arrival, giving us the tour of the Farrell House after showing us to our room (we stayed in Room #1). He took the time to explain the lineage of the house itself (once owned by the granddaughter of the man who founded Maxwell House coffee), and made us feel comfortable from our first step inside.

Room #1 was h-u-g-e!!! Two big beds (not sure if king or queen, but HUGE), plus enough area to spead out your suitcases and/or relax with a glass of local wine while enjoying the fireplace ... or just sitting back to take in the commanding view through the windows that overlooked the rear of the property.

Exploring the house, Doug had showed us a painting of a huge oak tree, which can be found in the back of the property, purported to be the biggest in the State. Definitely take the time to go explore ... grab a stroll to view the spring fed lake (straight from the Blue Hole, for those of you that remember that attraction) and streams. You can walk for hours if you like, following the curvy stream while looking for trout. Yes, for the outdoorsmen, trout fishing is also available ... and we saw many folks dipping a line while we were walking about. Doug also offered the use of kayaks or boats to guests, so feel free to paddle around the huge lake.

Breakfast in the morning was superb, we had decided to eat on the sun room porch. Filling and very tasty, with a talented chef in the kitchen making all the goodies.

Rates were about what you'd expect to pay for a good B&B ... no surprises ... and guarantee you'll be shelling out about as much cash to stay anywhere near the Point. But I also guarantee you won't be staying anywhere as nice :)

We had spent a Saturday in Put-in-Bay, taking the Jet Express out of Port Clinton, then heading to the Farrell House for the evening. Very close drive, probably only 25-minutes or so from the Jet Express parking area. And, for those that want to stay to use it as a launch pad for Cedar Point, its probably equally as close.

My only mistake, I would have shortened my stay on Put-in-Bay to spend more time here. But that's OK, because I will be back and won't make that mistake twice!!!

Jeff and Janet

Room Tip: Room #1 was the largest in the corner of the house overlooking back yard, but pretty much all of th...
1  Thank greyhnz