“Great Value!”

Ranked #22 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Bloomington, Indiana
“Great Value!”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

So we get a two bedroom suite with a fridge and microwave and unlimited use of the water park for $100 a night? Add to the fact that it is close to Cedar Point and its the best bargain I've seen in a while! Rooms were very clean and staff accommodating.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ExpressHoosier

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Let me start by saying that we loved the water park, as did my 6 and 4 year olds. We visited it several times while there and it was very nice. The hot tub, especially after a long day of walking, was the best I've ever been in. I love having private little nooks for your group. Most of the lifeguards were very pleasant.

We travelled with a second family and my sister, who stayed with us. When I booked the room I indicated we had a party of 5 for one room. We requested to be put in adjoining rooms with the second family (of 3) which they made happen (when I called the week before I was told they were at about 50% capacity so this was doable). We checked in and went to our rooms. The smell of mildew (at the very least) in the hallway was strong and they had 2 home grade dehumidifiers in the hallway the entire time we were there. I heard they had had some storms the week before so presumably these dehus had been working for all that time and weren't good enough. Our room, holding 5 people, was actually smaller than our friends' room (holding 3). We were without an alarm clock, toilet seat, full mirror and a few other things, all things I knew should have been in the room as our friends had them. Our bathroom counter had been sawed off so we had barely the area around our sink on which to put things (again, not a problem in our friends room). To make things worse, their room was tidied up daily while ours was only straightened up (beds made, etc.) once during out stay. What made it worse was *knowing* we should have gotten better.
However, after we got there the kids immediately wanted to swim, so we changed and went to the water park. It was at this point that we found out we had to actually go outside of the hotel and then back in to get to the water park. There was no hallway from our wing to the lobby or water park. We then walked into the water park only to be told we needed wrist bands which we get from the lobby (I had to ask a fellow customer). Why in the world were we not given this or at least told this when we checked in?! We went to the lobby and were told we had to pay extra for the wrist bands (when I reserved the room I booked a package that included the water park for four people). The conversation with the front desk went like this:
FD: It's $20 per person
Me: No, we booked for four free passes
FB: Let me check...ok, you get two free passes
Me: Did you say two? We get four.
FB: I said four!

Then we were told we also needed these wrist bands for our free breakfast. Again, why didn't we get them at checkin if they were that important?

I kept telling myself "you get what you pay for", but for what I got it was still too much. We will certainly never stay there again and instead will save for a nicer hotel/waterpark next time we visit the area.

2 Thank DesireeK40
JessB1474, Public Relations Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
I was to sincerely apologize for your experience. We have passed along this information regarding your room and service to our management team. We are making the improvements needed and hope that you'll decide to come back again and see the changes we have been making. Mahalo!

Travelers are raving about these Sandusky hotels

Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed at Maui Sands for two nights. My children, ages 5 and 7 LOVED the cabana room. The bunk bed area with separate TV was a BIG hit.

The room was extremely clean and we found all employees to be very friendly. We paid $69.00 per night, without water park passes. We booked directly through their website and knew passes were not included when we booked.

We paid $58 for 4 people for a "twilight" water park pass one evening from 4pm-10pm. We all enjoyed the Water Park. It was clean and the Life Guards were top notch. We have been to several indoor water parks and this one is by far the best. The bowl slide, as well as the raft/tube slide are WONDERFUL! The kids loved the dedicated kids area and we were all able to enjoy the lazy river. PERFECT!

Since this is a newly renovated/owned hotel, there are some communication things that need to be addressed amongst employees. On my original reservation, I had requested the limo ride "add-on" to Cedar Point on my reservation. When I checked-in, I asked Jay (employee) about the limo ride for the following day. It was not listed when we checked in and he asked if I had heard anything from the limo company (I had not). He then stated that if they had not contacted me, that it was not arranged. I was a little disappointed to hear that, but it was no big deal to drive ourselves. However, the next morning, we were already at Cedar Point when Jordan (employee) called to tell me that the LIMO WAS WAITING! I told her what I was told, and that there was a MAJOR MISCOMMUNICATION regarding that.

A hot/continental breakfast is included and we took full advantage of that each morning. We were impressed with both the housekeeping and maintanence staff: we had an issue with our in-room safe and someone was there within a few minutes to help.

We definitely look forward to returning in the future.

Room Tip: Since this is an older hotel, so be prepared for "thin walls" - it can get noisy at times...
1 Thank jessyleigh
Thank you for your comments and concerns. I apologize for the inconvenience that took place while you were here. We are reviewing our policies and procedures to make sure something like this doesn't happen again. We look forward to your next weekend! Mahalo!
Hamburg Township, MI
Reviewed July 31, 2013

This is a great resort. Very clean and welcoming. Staff was very friendly. Casey at the front desk was super helpful and accommodating. The water park was perfect for our children (6,3, and 1). We had a great time. Looking forward to our future visit(s).

Room Tip: 4 fourth floor was nice and quiet.
1 Thank Stacey H
Munster, Indiana
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We had our family reunion at this hotel in July and it was great! The entire staff was very friendly and the rooms were nice and clean. It was great that they were able to keep our rooms nearby each other. We would definately recommend this place to friends and family. The waterpark was lots of fun for the kids and adults. Being that our group had numerous little ones, the afternoon activities for the kids was lots of fun and kept them occupied for quite some time.

1 Thank AKRA2013
Boston, MA
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Our family of 3 (two adults and 10 year old) stayed one night in room 3275, a two queen room, confirmed online for $143 but charged at checkout for $148. The rate included complimentary parking, in-room wireless, and hot breakfast, plus admission to the indoor waterpark. The waterpark was fun, enjoyable, and met our 10 year old's expectations. In contrast, the hotel room was cramped, dark, and did not have hot water in the morning for showers. (Front desk staff person indicated that they had water pipe issues last week and this issue is related.) The common areas near and around the door 8 entrance were dirty and unsecured. There were plastic flowers "planted" on the property grounds, which matched the tacky and cheap Hawaiian themed guest room decor. The hot breakfast was good (biscuits, gravy, scrambled eggs, potatoes, sausage, pancakes), though the continental offerings were simply okay and beverages were limited to water and coffee. No tea. No milk. Juice machine was broken. We requested a quiet room and did get a good night's sleep. Check-in staff need customer service training.

1 Thank 3onaTrip
Scottsville, Kentucky
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed 2 days here while visiting Cedar Point. The feel of the hotel is that it is an older hotel with "thrifty" Hawaiian decor. The room was clean with a no-frills mattress. There is a free hot breakfast buffet served each morning along with a selection of cold cereals too. Our only issue we had was during check out. We booked the room thru Priceline, but upon checkout the hotel billed us for an additional $106.60. We did not have any incidentals and we didn't even use the waterpark. Fortunately for us, we had overheard another couple dealing with a similar overcharge the morning before and made sure we checked the bill carefully. The lady at the desk was trying to explain something to the fact that they are billed by Priceline and they charge the customer the extra charge, something really unfamiliar to us in all the years we've been using Priceline. Ultimately we felt it was nothing more than a scam. The lady agreed to remove the extra charges, but just to be safe we cancelled our debit card right away. Something just didn't feel right. We gave it 3 stars simply because the place was clean and offered a free hot breakfast. Otherwise, we would have scored it a 2 based on the hassle.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple