“Kids loved it!”

Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark
Ranked #23 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
“Kids loved it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

Very relaxing stay, and our 2 year old and 4 year old loved the waterpark. The hot breakfast offered had great options and the kids kept asking to go back for more. Very friendly and welcoming interactions with housekeeping staff, lifeguards, front desk and food services.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
Toledo, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

My four grandsons ages 2 thru 10 along with my son and daughter-in-law spent four nights with me to celebrate my birthday...we checked in on July 10th into the two-bedroom suite on the second floor....we had a wonderful visit! Staff at front desk very attentive to all needs....refrigerator needed defrosting, so they just brought a new one up to room....we did have to ask for extra pillows and towels, but they arrived promptly....room very clean and view from bedroom windows was the indoor waterpark....kids loved the waterpark bathrooms and changing rooms very clean within the park, small towels available. After trips to the amusement parks the kids enjoyed utilizing the waterpark....life guards friendly. Breakfast buffet good and was included in our waterpark package rate, nothing spectacular but good enough to get our day started...scrambled eggs sausage pancakes biscuits gravy cereal muffins OJ/ coffee...I asked if they could get me a cake to celebrate with the boys, and on my birthday it arrived...a lovely delicious red velvet cake with Happy Birthday written on it....Overall it was an excellent stay, my only suggestion would be to put directions on how to adjust temperature on air conditioners in the bedrooms and a sign above the enrtrance would be nice.... The indoor waterpark is not as large as the others in Sandusky, but just big enough to keep those boys happy..BIG SHOUTOUT to Maui Sands Resort you met my expectations and we all had a wonderful time and thank you for the Birthday cake......

Room Tip: ask for room in the main building as the older pre-existing hotel rooms are under renovation
1 Thank ginibeenie
Clarksville, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

This is the best resort by far in sandusky, OH. Their prices are very reasonable and its very clean. Their staff are there to assist you with any problems. Its located right next to the cedar point so its very convenient if you are planning to visit cedar point.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sunny P
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

It was kid friendly. The water park was great. The rooms are small and lack privacy, but if you are looking for a place to stay and just sleep this place is great. The rooms slept 6 people. I would stay there again. Located in close proximity to cedar point.

Room Tip: For the best prices you should stay during the week if possible.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Tamika C
New Castle, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in July, 2013 as part of a girls getaway weekend. My friends and I booked here because of the location to the Jet Express (about 5 miles away). We weren't sure what to expect when we got there, but we found a friendly and helpful staff, clean and spacious rooms, plenty of parking close to the assigned room, and a breakfast with plenty of options. The price was great and our stay wonderful! Would stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kelly1887
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

The staff at this hotel surely makes the difference. They are super friendly and go out of their way to please. The waterpark is brand new and really nice. The first day I asked the snackbar worker about the fresh veggie tray and the cook came out showed me what vegetables he had that were fresh and gave me my choice of what I wanted. They had a big selection and cut it fresh in front of me. All that for one little order. I was impressed! The whole stay was like that. I was unhappy with my original room and they moved me without any hesitation. The new room was brand new and MUCH nicer. The complimentary hot breakfast consisted of scrambled eggs, pancakes, potatoes, sausage, cereals, breads and yogurt. A nice little breakfast that probably saved me $100 or more that I would have spent eating out. I would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Until the renovation is complete, I would recommend requesting Building #4.
1 Thank briefman
Oswego, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

When I booked this room I was looking for a place nice enough to keep my wife occupied while I took the kids to Cedar point and I didn't want to spend the $$ for Kalahari or Great Wolf. Maui Sands was ranked #2 on TA, had breakfast, and was much cheaper than the other two water-park resorts. Sold!
The days leading up to our stay I started seeing some negative reviews and came across a story online about how the resort went bankrupt a few years back and was shuttered until reopened this year with new ownership. I became very nervous and was worried that I made a bad decision. Overall, our experience was a positive one.
The desk staff was very friendly and my wife and I hung out with a couple of them during some downtime and talked with them about the hotel and area, they were great people. My kids really enjoyed the waterpark, not the biggest or the best, but entertaining. The lifeguard staff could use a little more supervision as they seem a little disinterested and not very attentive on a whole. My kids are old enough that I wasn't worried about them, but may have been an issue for others.
The hot breakfast was a pleasant surprise, generally not the kind of perk you get at a water-park resort. Seating area was roomy and decent selection of food. It is my understanding that some guests qualify for the hot breakfast and others just a continental breakfast with with the water-park wristbands serving as the admission to the hot breakfast, I could see how this could confuse some people and probably should just be one type of breakfast for all to keep things simple; however, we did not witness any problems during our two mornings.
The room was fine, not great, not bad, but fine. The exterior door was a bit scuffed up, and the room was missing some of the little details that may go unnoticed for some (no pen/paper, no resort guide book). This was a common theme throughout the resort, little details that just haven't been ironed out yet. For example, many sections of the resort is gated off as they are not re-opened yet and the fitness room seems to be just a guest room with the door removed and a few treadmills thrown in, no TV, no water, no towels. I truly feel that these areas will and are being addressed and the place is a work in progress. I think that maybe it just opened a little before it was really ready. I can see why some people may have had bad experiences, while others had good. I tried to keep the history of the place in perspective when writing this review (which is also why it is so long), but I feel that these areas that need work should have been ironed out before opening the doors. If this place was a Disney property it never would have opened until everything was just right. That being said, I feel there is real potential here if these improvements are made. Until then, I have to rate as average...

1 Thank DisneyDad21