“Awesome waterpark and a great resort!”

Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark
Ranked #23 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Columbia, Maryland
“Awesome waterpark and a great resort!”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

My friends and I really enjoyed the waterpark as well as the breakfast. The staff was really friendly and polite. The lifeguards were dutiful and it was just a bunch of fun.We had a great time there and I hope when we do come back to Cedar Point we have a stay at the same resort.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank chandni p

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
Mount Victory
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed here with our two teenage children for one night and really enjoyed this hotel. Rooms were spacious with lots of great little touches. Clean and nicely decorated. We loved the pocket doors that separated the master bedroom from the rest of the room. Kids enjoyed the TV in the semi-private room. Rooms were very quiet even though we stayed during Bike Week and an Anime Convention. The water park was great!! Water slides were great fun, as was the lazy river. We even played in the kids area for awhile too. The bar opens up into the water park for snacks and kid/adult drinks. The best kept secret though is the rooftop, adults only, hot tub. It is HUGE, separate from the rest of the water park and offers a great space to relax. We will definitely stay here again. The only thing I would change is that I wish the staff would have made us aware that they also had an arcade in the hotel.

Room Tip: Be careful booking through outside sites, as they don't include passes to the waterpark. Your be...
1 Thank sunnyohgirl
Port Huron, Michigan
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I was expecting to have a great and enjoyable time staying at Maui Sands but it was quite the opposite. We arrived early for check in so I didn't expect the room to be ready at 3:15 but the front desk told us it would be ready by 4. We had to wait until after 5 to check in because the room was not ready. Once we got to the room, we found an unopened condom under one of the racks to put your suitcase on which was definitely not expected. The next day we went to Cedar Point and expected our room to be cleaned and stocked with towels and soaps. However, when we returned, the beds were not made, we did not receive towels and enough soap or toilet paper so we ran out. We called down to the front desk for towels but never received them, even by the time we left the following day we still had not received them. The adjoining room where my cousins stayed was cleaned and made up though. The breakfast was included in our package but the 2nd morning we were told we had to pay. So we waited in the breakfast line for at least 20 minutes and then at the front desk for another 20 minutes to get vouchers showing that breakfast was included and then another 20 minutes in the breakfast line again just to get our food. It was an absolute hassle. Your hotel still has a lot of work to do and one last thing, since the water park closes at 10 pm, you should close down the slides a few minutes before instead of having guests walk up all the stairs expecting to slide down but instead being told the slides are shut down and having to walk back down the stairs. Its just common sense/courtesy to do so.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Michelle N
Tim F, General Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Michelle,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay. Our goal is to provide an excellent experience for all of our guests when they stay with Maui Sands. Please know that our number one goal is to provide our guests with clean stocked rooms and an overall fun experience. It is evident that you did not receive as such. Please know that your concerns are not only taken very seriously but also being addressed and corrected. We hope to have the opportunity to earn your business again in the future and show the improvements that have been made.

Travelers are raving about these Sandusky hotels

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We booked via Hotwire. The room was clean...but a little beat up. Husband checked-in hours before we arrived and said he had to sign his life away with possible "charges" for this and that. Like a possible fee for stained floors. He made sure to take pictures of the preexisting stains just to be safe. They also said there would be a $50.00 hold (which is standard..but it is showing up as $76 and still not removed.)

There was no information in the room about anything hotel related. I found that odd. No pricing for additional tickets to the waterpark. Not breakfast information. Or local information. My husband said it was crazy when he arrived at check in time and the front desk clerk was very rude.

The free breakfast while it looked ample...the line was out to the lobby when we got down stairs. So we opted out and ate on the road...thus canceling the only value of booking this hotel.

We were in our room a whole 8 hours including sleep and it was not worth $120.00 total just for the room.

We did not use the waterpark but it looked fun from looking in the windows and the kids around us looked happy.

I would not book again and would opt for Great Wolf or Kalahari if I was in Sandusky again if I was looking for an indoor water park.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank C_McG95
Reviewed July 1, 2013

They were very nice and courteous though understaffed at the time. Bit of a wait to check in at front desk. We had an issue when we got to room and the bedding looked stained. After we called the front desk they promptly changed it. Even after visiting Soak City at Cedar Point the Maui Sands Water Park was loads of fun. We acquired free passes to water park through Priceline. Nice deal considering they are $25 each.

2 Thank Jgood738
Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

It was a great place! Hotel employees were wonderful! Rooms were kind of small but nice, the beds were about the worse part- they were hard as a rock but definately clean!! Breakfast wasnt bad, a little cold but there was a lot of ppl in line for food. Water park was great my almost 3 yo loved it!! Life guards were nice and watched everything! Hotel was in a great location to everything! I didnt like how we had to walk a good little distance from our room to the water park/breakfast area. House keeping was a little slow getting to our room and we didnt have towels in our rm when we got there the 1st day.
But we had a great time and it was a pretty good experience!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Ashlee V
jlsheff
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We were booked into this place as part of a lacrosse tournament in town. The problems started when we arrived. We got there at 2:30 p.m. and were told we could not check in until 4 p.m. I asked again to see if there were any rooms available - there was. They gave us the room key and we left at once for the tournament.

We come back to the hotel to unload the car and there is no elevator to take to the room - only stairs. Not the end of the world, but then why have a baggage cart at the door? We get in the room and it is in serious need of updating. The carpets are worn and stained. The beds appeared to be clean. The room we were assigned was close to the highway. I got to hear it all night. Felt like I was right on top of it with all the noise.

The shower was a "treat". Pressure was OK with cold water, but once I moved the mixer to hot, the water pressure was halved. The shower head pointed at my chest, so I had to duck to rinse my hair. I'm only 6'1". There were sufficient towels in the bathroom, but they gave us only one bar of soap for the sink and the shower? Really?

They offer a complimentary breakfast. The scrambled eggs were way overcooked. The french toast was cold and not very good. The coffee was nothing but warm, brown water. Thank goodness a Starbucks is a half mile north. The fruit looked OK, but there was no way I was touching the open bowl of yogurt they put out.

I can tell you I will not stay at this place again if I am in Sandusky. It was a worn out, old hotel that truly needs updating to be competitive with the other hotels in the area. The water parkwas used by my son. He said it was fun. I has no interest after seeing the other "fun" in this hotel.

2 Thank jlsheff