“OK not up to given star level.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark

Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark
Ranked #23 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“OK not up to given star level.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

We booked via Hotwire. The room was clean...but a little beat up. Husband checked-in hours before we arrived and said he had to sign his life away with possible "charges" for this and that. Like a possible fee for stained floors. He made sure to take pictures of the preexisting stains just to be safe. They also said there would be a $50.00 hold (which is standard..but it is showing up as $76 and still not removed.)

There was no information in the room about anything hotel related. I found that odd. No pricing for additional tickets to the waterpark. Not breakfast information. Or local information. My husband said it was crazy when he arrived at check in time and the front desk clerk was very rude.

The free breakfast while it looked ample...the line was out to the lobby when we got down stairs. So we opted out and ate on the road...thus canceling the only value of booking this hotel.

We were in our room a whole 8 hours including sleep and it was not worth $120.00 total just for the room.

We did not use the waterpark but it looked fun from looking in the windows and the kids around us looked happy.

I would not book again and would opt for Great Wolf or Kalahari if I was in Sandusky again if I was looking for an indoor water park.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank C_McG95

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

They were very nice and courteous though understaffed at the time. Bit of a wait to check in at front desk. We had an issue when we got to room and the bedding looked stained. After we called the front desk they promptly changed it. Even after visiting Soak City at Cedar Point the Maui Sands Water Park was loads of fun. We acquired free passes to water park through Priceline. Nice deal considering they are $25 each.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Jgood738
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

It was a great place! Hotel employees were wonderful! Rooms were kind of small but nice, the beds were about the worse part- they were hard as a rock but definately clean!! Breakfast wasnt bad, a little cold but there was a lot of ppl in line for food. Water park was great my almost 3 yo loved it!! Life guards were nice and watched everything! Hotel was in a great location to everything! I didnt like how we had to walk a good little distance from our room to the water park/breakfast area. House keeping was a little slow getting to our room and we didnt have towels in our rm when we got there the 1st day.
But we had a great time and it was a pretty good experience!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Ashlee V
jlsheff
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

We were booked into this place as part of a lacrosse tournament in town. The problems started when we arrived. We got there at 2:30 p.m. and were told we could not check in until 4 p.m. I asked again to see if there were any rooms available - there was. They gave us the room key and we left at once for the tournament.

We come back to the hotel to unload the car and there is no elevator to take to the room - only stairs. Not the end of the world, but then why have a baggage cart at the door? We get in the room and it is in serious need of updating. The carpets are worn and stained. The beds appeared to be clean. The room we were assigned was close to the highway. I got to hear it all night. Felt like I was right on top of it with all the noise.

The shower was a "treat". Pressure was OK with cold water, but once I moved the mixer to hot, the water pressure was halved. The shower head pointed at my chest, so I had to duck to rinse my hair. I'm only 6'1". There were sufficient towels in the bathroom, but they gave us only one bar of soap for the sink and the shower? Really?

They offer a complimentary breakfast. The scrambled eggs were way overcooked. The french toast was cold and not very good. The coffee was nothing but warm, brown water. Thank goodness a Starbucks is a half mile north. The fruit looked OK, but there was no way I was touching the open bowl of yogurt they put out.

I can tell you I will not stay at this place again if I am in Sandusky. It was a worn out, old hotel that truly needs updating to be competitive with the other hotels in the area. The water parkwas used by my son. He said it was fun. I has no interest after seeing the other "fun" in this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank jlsheff

Travelers are raving about these Sandusky hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in maui sands for two nights and was surprised about the overall view of the hotel. I had a problem upon check-in, reserved a jacuzzi suite but found bunk beds instead. Receptionist upgraded me to the biggest suite available. It was very spacious and had an amazing view of the water park. Not knowing what to expect, went down to the waterpark and WOW! Different sections for different ages in the water park. My newborn enjoyed the kiddie pool, my husband and brother in law enjoyed the phenomenal slides (I must add its pretty hilarious to see grown men scream on the top of their lungs) my niece and nephew enjoyed it ALL. They usually go to Great wolf lodge but my nephew was excited and jumping the whole time, even when we went to dinner downstairs. The lifeguards on duty are very respectful and care about the children in the water. The location is an A+ everything is nearby. The staff on location was very helpful. We stayed in the same section as the lobby which was conveniently close to everything. Overall good experience, nice staff, managed very well.

• Stayed June 2013
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

Stayed first week it open, very good place for young kids and family, my son had lots of fun and it felt safe for his age. Breakfast was great but lunch and dinner options were limited. I would stay there agian if given the same discount.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Detroit, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

The room I had was in a serious need of an update. The hot tub wasn't clean prior to check out, the bathroom floor had hair on it and so did the sheets! The hallway to my room had a not so pleasant odor to it! They Did accommodate me for my complaint but I will not return to this hotel despite value! Besides the waterpark, I felt as though it was super 8 quality. Which surprised me based off of other reviews.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple