“Excellent, Clean, Great Staff, Great Free Breakfast”

Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark
Ranked #23 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Excellent, Clean, Great Staff, Great Free Breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed with our 3 children last weekend and had the best time at Maui Sands. Our rooms were huge and the kids loved having their own bunkbeds and TV. Everything was like new and the room had microwave, refrigerator and double bowl sinks. The Waterpark just opened and is great because you can see your kids most of the time. Plenty to do for all ages and they have a couple of faster slides for the older kids. Guards were friendly too. Volcano Grill was awesome with healthy options including grilled chicken, salads , wraps fresh fruit. They even had sweet potato fries In addition to burgers, chicken tenders and pizza's. The best is the huge FREE breakfast with eggs, sausage, homefries, French toast, fruit, muffins bagels juice coffee cereal granola etc. Staff was very friendly. Don't listen to the naysayers..this place is fun and a great value.

2 Thank Taymoc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

We went with another family and stayed for 2 days. Our kids (ages 7-12) loved the water park despite getting a chlorine rash. We had vouchers for $36 for the Volcano Grill which was pretty good for a snack bar. The adults had wraps which were yummy. The kids liked the pizza, not my favorite. Towels in pool area could be bigger. Bring your own if you want a towel to go around your body! We were there the night of the fire but did not hear the alarm. We couldn't use all of our arcade tokens as many machines were broken. Staff was super friendly from the front desk to the life guards to housekeeping, etc. The life guards are plentiful and very attentive. We were impressed from check in to check out. When we mentioned the broken arcade games someone was fixing the machines within minutes. Treat yourself to dinner off site at Hot Dog Tonys, kids meals with drinks are just $2.99 and the adult food is really yummy.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Toomey2
ceredo, wv
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

We too got the chlorine burn, late check in because rooms were not ready, and housekeeping never cleaned our room. The arcade was 5 broken machines. Lifeguards cussed a lot. Bad experience. Manager said chlorine levels ok, told her no way. Go to a waterpark every 3 months & never a burn before. Volcano grill food was awful.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank dagumu

Travelers are raving about these Sandusky hotels

Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

Check in was simple for us, however the next day the lobby was packed and people didn't look happy. I only ever saw one person at the front desk and we tried to call a couple of times to ask about waterpark hours and ordering food, but no one ever answered. There were no posted hours for the waterpark or the bar/grill. I think they are still experimenting with times to see what works best.

We were in the Hana suite and our room was great. It was very clean and well layed out. The kids just loved the bunk area. The bunk beds were small and fit my 7 year old great, but my 11 year old didn't have much extra room. The separation between the kids area and the bedroom was nice. Our king bed was very firm and I didn't sleep well, but it didn't really bother my husband. I will take a firm mattress any day, as long as it is clean, which it was. It looked as though all of the bedding and accessories were new. There was a mini fridge and a microwave, which was nice.

The waterpark was ok. It is much smaller than other indoor waterparks we have been to and not really big enough to keep the kids happy ALL day. We went out during the day and then stayed in the park in the evenings, which seemed to work well. While we were there, the park opened at 9 am and closed at 10 am. One major complaint we have is the reaction to an injury. My husband went down a slide with one of the boys and at the bottom, cut both of his feet. He didn't realize it until he got to where he could sit down and saw he was bleeding pretty bad. We notified a lifeguard, who called for someone else. She was nice and put a bandages on his feet, but didn't disinfect anything. She didn't clean the cuts, or use antibiotic bandaids or anything. Then she just sprayed a little bit of cleaner where he was sitting, even though we told her where he had walked while he was bleeding. I would have thought they would have offered a free soda or pizza or something, but that was it. It was like...oh it's too bad you cut your feet I just don't know how that could have happened??? Needless to say, we went to walmart to get antibacterial cleaner and more bandages. This wasn't a huge issue, but they are certainly NOT prepared if they have a serious injury.

We missed breakfast the first morning, but, unfortunately didn't the next. They are in no way shape or form ready to handle the volume of guests they had. People were standing in line forever, because there was hardly any food. The only thing they had when we went through was french toast and some terrible gravy. There was no coffee. I waited, along with 6 or 7 other people, for 15 minutes for coffee that she said she would bring out right away...I never got coffee. Bob Evans is definately the answer!

Overall, the accomodations are nice & new, but they really need to ramp up their employee to guest ratio and be sure to train them properly. If they did that, it may be a really nice weekend getaway.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the view of the waterpark from our room (309)...
Garden City, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

I think this hotel is bad. First there was chemical burns from the hot tub and of course I had to be one of those kids out of many other kids who got burned badly and was crying because of it. After everybody finally got calm the fire alarm went off when we were all in bed. People were panicing and running all over, but finally when me and my friends got out of the hotel we went in the car and waited until we were able to go back into the hotel. I was wearing pjs and my friend was wearing butty shorts and a tank top. We were all freezing. This was the worst vacation ever I will never go to this place again!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Sailee42234
Chardon, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

I am not a complainer ever, I read this site and laugh most times. This place is horrible! Rooms were to be at 4 pm we got there at 11 am to get on the list and did not get our room until six pm witch is good some waited until 8! There was a large turn around the night before was the explanation I was given and the rooms still were not clean! Like you didn't know what to expect from the reservations! We pay from 4 pm and want our room! If we stay past 11 we get charged! I am here now and there was a fire at the bar. In the ghetto arcade the fire alarms did not go off or the hall of rooms leading to the arcade! Wow how is that for safety! Also the door locks on the back door would not let us in! The cops are here getting some jerk off smoking weed in a room full of kids. Now my two kids have chlorine burn on them along with a whole lobby full of kids! I wouldn't pay a dollar to stay in this place! What a joke!

Room Tip: Go to cast away bay instead!
5 Thank Danijela M
Hudson, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

It was a wonderful experience for my 7 and 8 year old. We stayed in the Hanna room which was clean and wonderful. We were fortunate enough to come while there was a grand opening special which included a room price of 149 overnite (4 tics to water-park). 36$ for food at the volcano grill and 10$ in game tokens. Food was OK, it's a touristy area so food is pricey, and the gameroom was small ( we understood that they were building a bigger one).

We have never been to a water-park. If the prices stay about the same, with a better gameroom maybe another small attraction (minigolf) we would consider staying there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family