“Great place to stay for a trip to Cedar Point!!!”

Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark
Ranked #23 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Kentucky
“Great place to stay for a trip to Cedar Point!!!”
Reviewed August 11, 2012

I had a wonderful experience at the Maui Sands! I had room 4425, fourth floor right next to the elevator. The room was clean, and above my expectations after reading some of the reviews given. The bed was very comfortable, and of I of course gave the room a complete bed bug check because those things creep me out. NO BED BUGS!!
I do wish the bartender had some knowledge about how to run the bar. Not sure if she normally did that or not. She would disappear for long periods of time, and had to be walked through on how to make a Jim and coke. And whoever Steve is, do NOT drink his random concoction....it's gross. Oh and the shampoo/conditioner/soap dispensers were completely empty. Not sure if they are going to use them or what. I really wish there was a place for smokers, or if balconies could be added to the rooms.
The pool was open and looked like it'd be a lot of fun, but I'm not much on pools anyway.
I would definitely stay here again and again. It's location is right across from applebees, Walmart, there's a jimmy johns down the street, and a multitude of places to eat within walking distance!

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank Kamikaze74b

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
Gwynneville, Indiana
Reviewed August 11, 2012

I thought the location was great just off the highway close to cedar point it was close to the docks where you could fish, shop, eat or whatever. The hotel itsellf was very nice . Clean rooms nice bar, how ever I thought breakfast was a bit stingy the only thing that was hot was the coffee. The arcade that they had had a lot of chewing gum on the floor half of the machines didnt work some of the didnt have any prizes in them. The emp;loyees were very polite will to help with and problems if any. I thought the beds were a little soft. The pool had too much clorine in it it almost burned your eyes when you walked in. I would most likely stay therer again. the water slides werent available because of remodel

1 Thank firstimerthere
ontario
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Spent August 9th at Maui Sands, had a adjoining room for myself and 5 teens. The check in was quick and painless, rooms were clean, fridge and microwave were not used but a nice touch. The hotel is right off Highway 2 with a Shell gas station directly in front of it which was handy. Walmart and a bank are directly across the street. Cedar Point was a 12-15 min drive away. Sandusky Mall and Target about 5 minutes down the street. The pool being open till midnight was a bonus for my kids. As others have commented the breakfast is limited to dry cereal, toast, bagels and bananas and cold hard boiled eggs. There was two operational toasters so they seem to have fixed that forementioned problem. I choose this hotel because the price was 80.99 + tax per room with my CAA/AAA discount. I think we were all impressed with the accomodations for the price. No real complaints, enjoy !

1 Thank joeyandotis
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Don't expect much out of this hotel. I feel like they still have a lot to learn to turn this property around. I can't complain about the price. We only needed a place to sleep while we spent a day at Cedar Point.

We drove in from Chicago and arrived late in the evening (around 11pm). When we arrived we walked up to the check-in desk and had to wait for the front desk employee to finish her personal phone call before she even paid attention to us. We got to hear all about how someone else that was supposed to work that night had called in and she had to come in to cover for the other person. Needless to say, not a great first impression. I brushed it off as me being picky because of how tired I was from a long drive.

We were assigned our room and we were in the "old" part of the hotel. This section in the back that had no elevators, and felt like it was an addition to the existing property (or an old motel that they converted). The room was just a plain motel room, there were some stains on the carpet and the beds were just okay. The bathroom felt like it had not been cleaned in a while. Clearly it had been cleaned, but there were spots on the bathtub. Maybe placing the coffee machine in the bathroom is not such a great idea. I thought the key wristbands were a neat concept and i'm sure they will work great once they get around to opening their water park area.

Anyways, all of that can be brushed off for the price we paid. Can't go in expecting 5 star amenities. The room was okay for what we needed (a place to sleep).

We left early the next morning and headed to Cedar Point, so I never got to try the breakfast they offered, but I guess I didn't miss much after reading other people reviews here.

When we went to check-out, I stepped up to the desk and was mid conversation when the person helping me saw someone else she knew and left me mid conversation to go talk to them. I was in shock that someone would even do that without even excusing herself from me. I just couldn't believe that had happened. I dropped off my wristbands, got my balance and left without saying a word.

This hotel needs to learn a lot more about customer service. I will pass on this place next time I'm in Sandusky. I had every intention of giving this a "Average" review, but my experience with the staff knocked it down quite a bit.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the newer section of the hotel, not in the random "annex" section in...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jgarcia83

Travelers are raving about these Sandusky hotels

Des Moines,
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I researched hotels for several weeks before our visit to Cedar Point. This hotel was ranked number one so I had high hopes. The hotel location is very good, it is right on the main strip and close to Cedar Point. The hotel has a Hawaiian theme which is very nice, every where you look there are palm tree pictures, the front lobby has a cool polished rock floor and several "fau" palm trees. As said by other reviewers the hotel will be a decent water park next year, when we stayed only the pool, (in the middle of a closed water park) was open.

First the good....We stayed in the king room with bunk beds which were awesome. The fact that there was a sliding double doors to separate the children is a major plus. The two bunk beds in our room were nice and hey had there own flat screen TV. The decor of the room is nice, cool ice buckets, roomy bathroom, nice vanity area, nice looking current bar and future restaurant area where breakfast was served. It was awesome the pool was open until 12am.

Now the not so much. The carpet in our room was very stained which was a disappointment since the other room decor was so nice. I agree with some of the other reviewers who say the hotel was half remodeled. It seemed the hotel was in a transition phase of ownership. Some of the side doors were closed off, I hate to bust on this but one four slice toaster for a whole hotel? Come on Wal Mart is right across the street. The breakfast is very basic, cereal, bagels, hard boiled eggs, white plastic cups and forks.

Maybe I am just sore that the water slides were not open but we knew that before we came. The price was right and we knew we were going to be at Cedar Point and sight seeing and would not be there much.

Room Tip: Get the buck bed room with kids.
Kansas City, MO
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Overall, this hotel served its purpose well. The room was very clean, and we slept great each night. There was a somewhat musty smell, but we just turned the AC cooler to take care of that. When we initially checked in, we had to wait an hour and a half for our room to be ready. The front desk gave us a 10% discount for the inconvenience. I think their cleaning staff is just understaffed and overwhelmed, but they still did a good job. My only real complaint was the breakfast. There is only cereal, tiny muffins, toast and bagels, bananas, and hard boiled eggs to eat. The line at the toaster often forces you to eat your bread cold. (Easy fix... Walmart is across the street. Buy a couple more toasters!). Even some danishes would be a nice addition. If you are eating before heading to Cedar Point, you'll really need to stop somewhere on the way. Overall, I am still rating the hotel 4 stars for the value.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed August 8, 2012

like many reviews, i can see people going in with high expectation and being disappointed, I myself went in with the expectations of having spent my childhood going to mom and pop motels so this one was pretty good, the beds were clean, the room was clean, the bed was nice and firm, the fridge kept the drinks cool, and the shower provided enough pressure to wash off a day at cedar point. is it a sheraton or hyatt, no, but its not trying to be, breakfast sucks, but i think 50 other people have now said that, the bob evens up the road has great breakfast for under $10 and the rate is great, so for what it is, it was a nice stop.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends