“Depends why you are there...”

Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark
Ranked #23 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
“Depends why you are there...”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Really your happiness with this hotel will be based on WHY you need a room. Ex. Cedar point? Family function? Etc. We paid 69.99 a night for two nights....checkin was quick, easy, the bracelets are cool. Lots of pictures being uploaded with my review. The front desk girls run everything (including cleaning rooms). We came for cedar point and didnt plan on doing anything other than sleeping (and drinking due to awesome onsite bar) at the hotel. Im going to go into the bar review first, skip to next section for room review. Theresa the bartender is new to bar tending but what she lacked in experience she made up for 10 times in personality. Unfortunately the other bar person (Steve?) Seemed to leave the bar in really poor condition. He had a "special" drink he made up....but left no instructions on how to make....and turned off his phone (took 30 min to reach someone that knew what was in it) He also left food in the microwave which drew nats and the bar was not stocked. 1hour later we finally got our first drink. All that said we had a blast hanging out and picking drinks from her little black book to have her try her hand at making. Thereasa worked wonders with what she was handed. I hope she is there for our return!

Ok now on to THE ROOM. Yes they are a little rough. Scuff marks on some furniture, looked like our wall had a little water damage...but CLEAN. Lots of towels, lots of toiletries, coffee, cups...the Hawaiian theme was very nice. We booked a king with bunk beds as they were out of just king, and it was the same price. The bed was REALLY firm to me, but please note I am a soft pillow top sink into the bed loving person. It may not be THAT firm, im just spoiled at home ;) the bunk beds were softer. First night the tv was missing in the bunk area. No big deal to us, we didnt need it. After returning from a long long day if coasters our bed was made, clean towels, new toiletries and a flat screen in the bunk area. Very impressed with service. As far as the review stating there are no outlets...I have no idea what they are talking about. Our room had plenty lol. To us, based on other hotels in the area for 69.99 a night for a cedar point vacation the room was right for price.

Area is NOT a bad area (again was stated in a recent review). Walk to gas station, walmart, applebees, taco bell, and a Sleep Inn (i hear the pool there is open later than midnight). Getting to hotel IS tricky with traffic, but we did it just fine.

Arcade eats tokens. No prizes in crane machines. But ok for a mini break.

Hotel will be worth higher rates when staffed adequately and waterpark/restaurant are open. We would return but wouldn't pay more than 100$ a night "as-is".

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Stayed at this hotel over the weekend...good price for the area and cleanliness.
I assume they were clean becasue this was a fairly new hotel- 2 months old

check in- friendly

breakfast- ( I love breakfast, so this dissappointed me) They need to put in more effort- only cereal ( 3 types- lucky charms, raisin bran and cheerios), assorted minimuffins, bread , english muffin and bagels.... ONLY 4 slice toaster- which backed the line up!!!
juice, packet oatmeal with hot water and hard boiled eggs,
coffee and milk in a mini refridgerator- which the door wouldnt stay open....
breakfast was free...so ok if you just wanna get somehting in and get going... not a high point..

rooms- we stayed in a suite with a king bed abnd 4 bunk beds... happened to be a handicap accessible room, so very spacious and appeared clean. 2 tvs... no complaints about the room!

pool- water park wasnt open- we knew that ahead of time... water was cold

Elevator- very slow and only one in the building... faster to take the stairs...

Overall.. i think they still need some time to set up and improve themselves...
It was an interesting themed hotel with well thought fixtures and interiors...I paid an average of 140 dollars each night for 2 nights ( so was surprised to see others paid 80 for the same)- but I bought this directly from the hotel and not a website...

I can see rates increasing once the water park is open....

Xenia, Ohio
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I was happy with my stay this last weekend, the rate was right and things were still in good shape since they just re-opened 2 months ago. HOWEVER, they are not cleaning the rooms well enough (in fact, under our bathroom vanity was a piece of 2x4 and construction/drywall dust) and the hotel as a whole is not being managed efficiently.
They also are very slow at check in, their system seems a little old.
If I had paid anymore than $80 for a weekend night I would have a completely different attitude toward my stay (for $80, I should have given it a 4 rating, but considering the rates are getting higher already, I based my review on that).
If they want to compete with Great Wolf Lodge and the like (or even if they want to remain open longer than 6 months), they will have to try much harder...

1 Thank just_for_fun
Byron Center, MI
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Our family stayed here for two nights while visiting Cedar Point. Be advised that the comfort & amenities here are far below average.

There were no electrical outlets to recharge our cell phone, Ipad, computers, shavers, etc. We had to use the outlet in the bathroom. Never run into this situation before.

Exercise room - this is important to me as I like to workout in the morning. They had a couple of old treadmills, no excercise bikes or ellipticals. In addition, they didn't have a TV. I like to watch the news or sports when I exercise. I have never been to a place where they didn't have a TV and remote. Also no towels or water fountain.

Continental Breakfast - it may be free but they should put forth more effort. The coffee was water downed, selection was minimal; ie, no yogurt, selection of fruits or waffle maker. Just some mini muffins, bread and cereals.

The waterslide was not in commission and the pool area was like a sauna.

This place in not located in the best part of town either so be sure to park your car outside your room so you can keep an eye on it.

People who worked there were nice and the price for 2 nights was only $140.00. Based on the reviews on Trip Advisor, I expected more.

4 Thank GreggMS
JessB1474, Public Relations Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
I would like to apologize for the inconvenience during your stay. We are continuously making improvements to our resort and hope that you'll come back to see. Thank you for your time and letting us know on where to make improvements.

Travelers are raving about these Sandusky hotels

Bourne, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Just stayed at the Maui Sands Hotel in Sandusky OH 7-16-2012 through 7-20-2012. I brought my son and 2 of his friends (3 teenagers) for a trip to Cedar Point (20min ride), and the Football Hall of Fame (90min ride). We had a room with the king size bed and 2 bunk beds. The room was clean when we arrived and the daily maid service cleaned up every day. The king bed was very comfortable and I was told by the kids that the bunk beds were as well. The A/C worked and was quiet and didi we need it temps were in the 90s and humidity was high. The King room area could be blocked off by 2 sliding doors wich was nice for privacy. Each area had its own TV. The pool was open and clean, I was told that the indoor water park should be open in the Spring of 2013. The staff was extremely polite, helpful and professional (Addison, Amber, Hiren and Saundra). The free breakfast offered toast, bagels,mini muffins, english muffins, assorted cereals and juices, bananas, and hard boiled eggs. The location is perfect, right off the highway on the the main strip that offered retail stores and restaurants. There is also a Hunted Mansion attraction that the kids did and gave thumbs up to right up the street, the hotel gave me discount coupons when I asked about it. Well I guess the real testament would be would I stay there again and I absolutely would. We're your average income family that stay in places like Holiday Inn expresses, Best Westerns and Hampton Inns and for room set up, capacity and value, the Maui Sands beats them all. I wish there was one in New Hampshire were we go skiing. The only thing I didn't like was how they set up the bathroom sink, it's in the main area across from the refrigerator and coffe pot , Disney time share did the same thing at Bay Lake Towers with there studio room. I'd say that Disney time share could learn a thing about the rest of the room design from Maui Sands though, six people in one room and plenty of room. I just hope that the prices remain competitive as we are looking to go again.

Room Tip: If your good souvenir shirts the Shirt Shack up the street from the hotel offers plenty for the loca...
3 Thank dephenn
Lancaster, New York
Reviewed July 20, 2012

We went to Sandusky to take our kids to Cedar Point and when I saw the great deal at Maui Sands I booked right away. The front desk was very nice and I love the bracelet room keys - one less thing to worry about. The beds were very comfortable- 2 pillows per person- we slept well all 3 nights of our stay. The breakfast was light and the same everyday - so you know what to expect. English muffins, toast, bagels, muffins, 4 types of cold cereal, oatmeal packets, hard boiled eggs and bananas. Condiments were cream cheese, real butter, peanut butter, and jelly. 4 types of juices, coffee and milk. We were able to have a nice breakfast and didn't have to eat until lunch at Cedar Point.
The kids swam in the pool and loved how big it was ( not very deep) the pool is were the waterpark will be next year so that was pretty cool.

2 Thank MsLilac
Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 19, 2012

My family and I stayed at Maui Sands for 1 night after a day at Cedar Point. When we arrived it appeared that there were only 2 people working the whole hotel. They were extremely busy trying to answer phones and help people that were checking in. The hotel still has some rooms that need renovated (ex. some have that old hotel smell and stained carpet) but for the most part the hotel is beautiful. The water park looks like it is going to be very nice when it is finished. We had a problem with our room at first and the hotel staff was very helpful. They put us in a different room right away and the new room was actually an upgrade from what we had. The rooms with 2 queen beds are good for a short stay. The room with 1 king bed and 2 sets of bunk beds is very nice. The room we stayed in was the 2 bedroom suite with each bedroom having a king bed. The room was very spacious. It had a pull out couch, a tv in every room and 2 bathrooms. I thought that the room keys were one of the best features. The room key is a rubber, waterproof bracelet that you wear and you just press it up against the black box on the door and the door opens. The breakfast is not bad. They offer cereal, english muffins and bagels. The hotel definitely has some issues it needs to work out before the water park opens and they get really busy (ex. more staff and organization) but all in all I would recommend people for this hotel.

2 Thank QueenB64