“Nasty, Nasty, Nasty”

Ranked #33 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Greenwood, IN
“Nasty, Nasty, Nasty”
Reviewed February 20, 2006

Horrible! Stairs were so rusty, I was afraid to walk on them. Power kept going out. Paper thin walls... we should know, our 1st room was next to the housekeeping closet. Cable kept going out. Used soap in the shower. Mold, mildew around sink and shower. Cobwebs in the corners of the ceiling. Empty mayonnaise packet under the dresser. Dirty blankets with dried food stuck to them. Sex toy under bed with pubic hair stuck to it. Potato chips behind the door. Moisture stains under electrical outlet. RUDE RUDE RUDE STAFF! Decor from the 50's. Wouldn't stick my toe in the nasty pool. Didn't even unpack our bags. Left the hotel in less than an hour.
DON'T STAY HERE!

4 Thank katesold

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Reviewed August 21, 2005

The first warning sign should have been the little girl, presumably of another guest, greeting us as we entered the lobby with a creepy statement about a spider infestation that many guests were complaining about. The second sign was the guest at the front desk who was currently filling out paperwork involved in a complaint based check out, especially considering it was 11pm when we arrived. We had made reservations for two beds, the room only had one. The door to our room did not fully close. It closed enough to lock alright, but the door was so warped that you could literally reach your hand through the top of the door between the door and the frame. The spiders were amazing. I don't believe I have ever seen so many spiders in one place before. The room did appear as if it had been cleaned, as there were no spiders inside the room, just all around the external entrance, stairs, and walkways. Our car was parked no more than ten minutes right in front of the room before we came out to find it as well covered in spiders. The room was in obvious disrepair, huge cracks in the wall, missing molding exposing wires along the floor, carpeting that looked as if the last time it was unstained was in the factory it was made in. The bed was hard as rock, with just a comforter and a rubber mattress cover on it. No real sheets. There was a table in the room with two chairs around it that both had pieces falling off. We could hear every move the people in the room above us made as if they were in our room. Due to our door we could also hear every noise in the parking lot as if we were in the parking lot. We were not here for more than two hours before we found a better room across the street at another hotel. We booked through Expedia, who told us when we were arranging our hotel switch on the phone that almost everyone they had booked in this hotel that night already had or was in the process of moving to another hotel. Expedia also told us on the phone that this was a one star hotel and we shouldn't have booked here in the first place if we expected decent service, even though their website has this listed as a two star. All we really wanted was a room where we felt safe to spend the night. Between the non-closing front door of the room, which opened right to the parking lot, and the spiders all over that was not the case.

• Stayed August 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Sandusky hotels

Princeton, WV
Reviewed July 10, 2005

This place is nasty. The bathroom was disgusting! The shower curtain and shower head was covered with mildew. The tub was black and had pubic hair on the soap shelves. The commode also had pubic hair on the rim. The sink and the floor were dirty. We bought disinfectant wipes to clean before we used this awful place. The sheets on the bed were also dirty we went down for "clean" ones and changed them ourselves. The mattresses are not only stained with who knows what but also hard. We completely removed the bedspread which never looked as if it had been washed. Keep your shoes on for the carpet is dirty and stained as well.

I am not a real picky person obviously, I did stay here, but only because I waited too late to get reservations elsewhere until everything else was booked up. Fortunately, we were not there much because we spent all our time at Cedar Point, which was a lot of fun by the way!

I learn from my mistakes. If this is the only hotel available, I will wait until another week to find a better hotel before going to Cedar Point.

• Stayed July 2005
4 Thank lmilam
Reviewed July 6, 2005

HOPEFULLY THIS REVIEW SAVES SOMEONE FROM MAKING THE SAME MISTAKE MY FAMILY AND I MADE.

We booked two nights at the Best Budget Inn South for a 4th of July weekend at Cedar Point. I wish I had looked at the online reviews before booking the room! The price, location, and amenities seemed right.

Cleanliness was the biggest issue. The shower curtain had a great deal of mold at both the top and bottom. It was a challenge to keep from touching it during showers. We were a party of four, which the motel knew in advance, yet each day there were only enough towels and wash cloths provided for two people. We had to ask for additional towels on a daily basis.

The pool water looked "milky" at best and the bottom of the pool appeared dirty (as best as I could tell). Not something you want your kids in. The pool was one of the amenities that helped us choose this motel.....

In our room was a small sofa sleeper. Out of curiosity, we folded it out. It looked like it hadn't had the linens changed in several uses. Fortunately, we didn't need to use it. The stains on the top blanket were disgusting looking.

A continental breakfast was provided (coffee and a couple of boxes of donuts), but the "kitchen" area looked like it got cleaned once a week, whether it needed it or not.

Down the hall from our room was a public restroom. The door was always open, so noticing the recently used, and uncleaned toilet was very easy.

My final item doesn't have to do with cleanliness, but rather, convenience. When we checked into the room, we noticed that there wasn't a remote control for the TV. I brought it to the attention of the desk clerk and asked for one. It took a little time, but she finally located one. A couple of hours later she found one that worked.....

If you like seedy, third-rate motels, then the Best Budget Inn South is right for you!

• Stayed July 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 26, 2005

My wife and I booked this hotel through AAA and wanted a place to crash for a night before our outing to Cedar Point. When we drove up, the place seemed okay at a glance. I checked in and immediately received an extra 10% off my overnight price and was politely asked if I would like a king sized bed instead. I agreed, thinking it might be a AAA upgrade, and received my key. We drove around the corner to our room and strange shady townie people were grilling in the parking lot. The moment we walked in a looming, unstoppable, dark, nasty funk beat us down. I nearly gagged. Carpets were filthy and black with stains. The wall by the bed had liquid stains running down the side and large colonies of black mold. The wall by the door was nearly destroyed from massive water damage from the upstairs room, wallpaper flaking off and moldy. The bathroom was from a scene in Harry Potter with spiders everywhere, building egg sacks, large webs, apartments, schools, having parties as if they've never seen people before. Pubic hairs were on toilets and sheets. I found no remote or HBO as advertised. There was no clock, lots of burned out lightbulbs and no screens on the windows to air out the musk. We went to the mall to kill time and stopped at Bath and Body Works for discount candles and room spray. The candles and spray were snuffed out by the stink and people were still grilling at 2 am, loud people were up all night upstairs, and I couldn't sleep a wink. Wife took Nyquil to fall asleep. Next morning I found a huge purple louse dead on the floor, towels were hard, and we immediately left. While I waited for the wife to hurry up, saw so called house keepers (teenage girls) dragging garbage bags of linens around to and from vacant rooms. STAY AWAY. Avoid if you are alleric to molds. This is a roach motel. They purposely overbook and push people to take king beds to keep you in. I thought I got a deal but got stained sheets and spider parties.

• Stayed June 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 12, 2005

This hotel was terrible. I stayed there over the weekend during a trip to Cedar Point and it was horrible. During the last day the hot water was not working when my friend was in the shower. When we tried to call the lobby the phone was not working. My friend got dress and went to the lobby where they told her that there was a limit amount of hot water and there was nothing that they could do about us not having hot water. The room was horrible because the floor were not clean, the shower curtain had mildew on it and the lamps were half falling apart. On top of that the employees were not in any type of uniform so you never knew who was who.

• Stayed June 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 1, 2005

Place is a dump. Do not believe anything you see on any website about this place. Room was filthy including sheets,floors,towels, and shower was moldy. First night the toilet starting running for no reason and would not stop. Had to get up and turn the water off. Sink dripped all night. Before all of this I had called for a wake up call and front desk would not answer the phone. Had to walk down the spider infested balcony and stairs to tell them since they would not pick up the phone. Following morning I complained about the problems and was told it would be taken care of. Came back late that evening and the toilet had been fixed. Housekeeping didn't bring us any clean towels or make the beds while we were out. Dealt with it and went to bed. At about 2am the fire alarms went off for no reason so we stood outside in the parking lot for an hour waiting for the all clear to go back to bed. Many upset guests talking outside about how nasty there rooms were. Manager was very rude when I called her from home a couple of days later. Offered me 10% off my bill for the first night. Called head office and am still waiting to hear back from them. Pictures in adds look very nice. It is not. Day old donuts for there "breakfast bar". Stay someplace else. Will be worth any extra money spent.

• Stayed May 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandusky
Comfort Inn Sandusky
Magnuson Hotel East Sandusky
Comfort Inn River's Edge
Best Western Plus Sandusky Hotel & Suites
Fairfield Inn & Suites Sandusky

Been to Best Budget Inn Sandusky? Share your experiences!