Sandusky KOA campground
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Comfort Inn Sandusky(Sandusky)(Great Value!)
$84
$124
$111
Hampton.com
La Quinta Inn Sandusky - Cedar Point(Sandusky)(Great Value!)
$89
$140
$106
$170
Groupon.com
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewslarge tenttenting areatent camperskids craftstrain that runsgreat campgroundminute drivedeluxe cabincedar point amusement parkfull kitchenbayshorestovetonsohioteenagers
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 21, 2008

We made reservations in May '08 for a 3 bedroom cabin at this campground for mid July '08, which is now called Sandusky KOA campground. We had contacted the facility directly for reservations, they took $101 deposit to guarantee our reservation (shown on credit card statement). However, we had called the night prior to our scheduled arrival with a few questions, only to find out that they had NO record of our payment/reservation. We had chose this facility specifically for the 3 bedroom cabin (perfect for our family of seven), the price was reasonable, and for it's location to all the activities we'd planned for our vacation week (Cedar Point/AfricanSafari/Boating). Needless to say, finding out we had no cabin the night before was extremely upsetting. We were packed, ready for a week at Lake Erie; five children were crying their eyes out. We talked to Terry, the night manager at length that night. He did his best to locate the root of this problem, but to no avail. He advised us to contact the daytime manager at 9am the following morning. Lots of sleep lost that night - vacation only comes around once a year and lots of planning time had already been done to guarantee a great family vacation. We spent hours on the phone that morning -with various area managers/owner...they did what they called their best by offering us 2 Knights Inn hotel rooms along with a campsite and a hundred dollar discount total....we went up, as this was our only option this late notice, only to find musty smelling rooms at hotel, outdated, bad location, poor view, tiny pool, small fitness room with no windows and only 3 machines...plus we didn't like splitting our family up into two rooms, as children too young to sleep in own room without adult. Wouldn't recommend that KnightsInn either. They had made it sound like hotel and campground were so close, but there's a car dealer in middle and you had to drive all the way around to get to campground. So, we left shortly after arrival, I guess they can say that they "attempted" to make us happy (not without much prodding though), they refunded our $....but they ruined our Lake Erie vacation week.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank rarecker
Reviewed July 21, 2008

After reading some of the reviews on this site I was a little worried that the campsite would not be up to par. That is far from the experience that my family recived. Everything was neat and clean and at 11 pm (Quiet time) everyone did quiet down. The bathrooms are cleaned everyday for an hour and the campsite really wasnt crowded. The staff was very friendly and helpful and all the activities that they have available kept the kids busy especially the pool. We will be returning in the future.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 6, 2008

The website made me look forward to staying at this campground. I was surprised by the lack of natural beauty. I was expecting to have views of the lake, but they were in the very back of the campground and the view of the lake was overgrown with greenery. The bathrooms were very nice, except that the one by the pool was usally wet and soggy. The pool was nice. I liked how close we were to Cedar Point. But - boy was this campground LOUD. The train whistle was amazing in its loudness and frequency starting at about midnight. After two nights I got some earplugs and this really, really helped.

I will avoid this campground in the future because of the lack of a fishing pond and the incredibly loud train.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank KaJeHe
Reviewed June 24, 2008

This place should drop the "Travel" from "Travel Trailer Park" and just call it a Trailer park. It just wasn't in an area where I wanted to spend my vacation. My son said he actually saw an old van seat in somebody's yard while he was "exploring".

Best part about the park was their gameroom and basketball facilities. It is probably a pretty nice place...just didn't like the neighborhood. Not to mention the trains....

We found a new place to finish our stay in the area.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank claudioram
Reviewed September 3, 2007

We were not pleased with our stay this past Labor Day weekend in one of the park model cabins. My parents were not pleased while camping here either.

My biggest complaint was the condition of the cabin. It was very dirty and looked like it had not ever been throughly cleaned since it was built. The sheets were clean and the shower was clean, but that was about it. Behind each door was brown accumulated dirt dust and hair. I washed my daughters bottle in the kitchen sink and got some water behind the faucet. When I wiped it up with a paper towel it was so slimy brown. Same with the bathroom sink, brown accumulated slime all around faucet. They had a toothbrush holder on the wall that had dried white toothpaste on it. Who would use that? Just take it off! The futon and chair in the living area were very worn, old and very dirty looking; I wouldn't even sit on them. The ceiling fan had so much dust on the blades, I don't think it had ever been clean either. The cabin was small and the quality was very cheap.

I was also not pleased with the site the cabin was located. It looked like there were some nicer ones elsewhere in the campground, and since we booked late I assume we got one of the worst ones. It was just so small. Our second night the cabin next to us started a fire at the 11 pm, the stated quiet time. We had been at Cedar Point all day and were very tired. We gave them an hour to enjoy their time but it just got worse. They had about 10 adults and 5 kids laughing and screaming and running around in the 8 x 8 space of lawn you have to put a fire. And it is right next to the master room of the cabin next to you. We could have opened our tiny window right next to our bed, reached out and burned ourselves on their fire. There are only white thin curtains which don't block any light. We were very uncomfortable.

We ended up calling the only number we saw on the info papers they gave us. Which takes you to a prerecorded message from some other sister hotel or something. Eventually we got the number from someone direct at the park office. They told us "what can you expect, it's labor day weekend" They didn't care. The people next to us were up until 2 am, and so were we.

Not to mention the trains that come every 5 minutes that you can hear anywhere in the park!

My parents came during this stay as well. They booked a site for their 5th wheel camper. These were the smallest sites I or they had ever seen! The site was a back in site, and since it was so tight my Dad busted out his back truck window with his camper in the 30 minutes it took him to get the camper back in the cramped site.

We pulled the picnic table right up next to the camper. The site next to theirs water drain was then right next to the table. Not a pleasant sight while eating. You barely had any room to have a camp fire either. It was just so tight.

We didn't use the pool, shared bathhouse, or the game room. My daughters used the playground area, nothing special. Dirty sand.

I would never stay here again. I saw plenty of place that appeared to be nicer than this one. We will book earlier next time so this is not the only place left with availability.

Stayed: September 2007