“Filthy and disgusting!”
Review of Budget Host Inn

Budget Host Inn
Ranked #22 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed May 18, 2014

The fresh and clean lobby was deceiving. The room smelled of smoke so bad. The floor looked like it hadn't been vacuumed. The sofa bed was filthy! There were candy wrappers and coins in it. Even the towels looked dirty. The only good thing is that they let us move to another room and it was definitely much better! It didn't stink and it actually looked a little cleaner/newer. So, all in all, the location for Cedar Point was great. The manager was nice and understanding and took note of the problem. Definitely will never stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank LisaG3549
BudgetXpert, Manager at Budget Host Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2014

We sincerely apologize for the experience you describe. I want to assure you that it is not typical of our property. We do take pride in serving our guests and I'm glad we were able to accommodate you to make your stay better. We are recently under new management, and as the new manager I am taking measure to correct the situation. I really appreciate you bringing the matter to our attention. Please contact me at (419)627-9770.
Amber Blankenship,

Reviewed October 30, 2013

We stayed on the top floor. Our room was not dirty and the beds were comfortable. If you're just planning on staying a couple nights for a trip to Cedar Point then this is an affordable option! I will definitely keep this place in mind for future trips! Plus, it is right down the road from Cedar Point so you will not have to travel far to and from the park! AC/Heating worked well!

Room Tip: We had the rooms that are on the top floor in the building the main office is located and we had no...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Michaela P
BudgetXpert, Manager at Budget Host Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Thank you for staying with us when visiting Cedar Point. We appreciate your comments. We look forward to serving your future hospitality needs.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

The place is literally on the backside of Castaway Bay Resort. I stayed here for one night, the room was clean and beds were surprisingly very comfortable. While you don't get the perks of staying at a Cedar Point resort, this is a much cheaper alternative. We paid $75 total for one night during one of the busiest weekends, while Breakers Express was $200. And this place was actually cleaner than Express, quieter too. Walking distance to Thirsty Pony and the bowling alley!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for staying with us. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. We are always interested in our guests concerns and recommendations. You pointed out quite a few key features of the Budget Host. Affordability, Location Location Location, and we absolutely pride ourselves on cleanliness and customer service. We look forward to serving you this up coming Cedar Point season and hopefully many more to come.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

This room was disgusting! The carpet was so dirty it looked like black grease spots all over. The floor was not vacuumed, there was hair all over the blankets, hair stuck it the shower curtain, pubes in the tub, and the room smelled like pee! Must disgusting place I have ever stayed at! Do not even concider staying here if you like a clean place to stay!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Robin W

We sincerely apologize for the experience you have described. The hotel is now under new management. As manager I will strive to set stricter guidelines on housekeeping procedures, to make your next stay here clean and comfortable.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

I went to the hotel and asked to inspect the room. I asked for a non-smoking room. When I opened the door the first thing I smelled was smoke. There was hair on the pillows and floor had a coating of greasy grime on it. I expect 1 thing from a cheap motel. Clean. This hotel is not clean. The manager had a staff go clean the room. He just laughed as he went to do it.
The staff was rude and refused to cancel my reservation. (The last time I use Priceline as well since they force you to pay for the motel upfront and did nothing to fix this!) So they refused me a refund but did offer another dirty room instead. I went down the street to Quality Inn.
The double beds are twin beds. I guess they dont get the whole size thing.
The other reviews seemed ok which was very misleading!

Room Tip: Do not pay for a hotel in advance. And look at the terrible and poor comments to see if the same com...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Brian M
BudgetXpert, Manager at Budget Host Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

I deeply apologize for your experience at our establishment. I would also like to take this opportunity to also apologize for our former managers lack of professionalism. Fortunately he is no longer with us. I do thank you for bringing the issues you had to my attention and as the new manager will work to ensure your future stay and others will not have the same outcome. This also helps me make improvements where I need to.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

This place is RIGHT by Cedar Point. Very reasonable rates, especially compared to other hotels in Sandusky. You get what you pay for, though. The sign outside said 'free wifi'. We were informed by the gentleman that checked us in that the free wifi is only in the lobby & breakfast room of the hotel. We had a very basic room, which was on the second floor, across from the lobby area. There was a TV, full size bed (which the sheet did not fit on), and a small table w/2 chairs. Staff was friendly. We were asked twice, by 2 different people, if we required maid service. When we declined, they both asked if we needed anything. Very basic continental breakfast (doughnuts, cereal, bagels, english muffins). We had a non-smoking room that did smell a bit musty when we entered it, but the smell went away after we turned the air on.The exhaust fan in the bathroom was a bit loud at times. Rooms do look dated but you're just sleeping there so who cares? The second 'lock' on our door (the one that said 'do not disturb'/ maid service') required some force to move. Bed was not the most comfortable, but ok for 2 nights. There was no bag in our garbage can, which I thought was weird. POWERFUL shower.

PROS-
-SUPER close to Cedar Point
-Friendly staff
-Reasonable rates (our 2nd night was less than 1/2 the cost of the first night)
-Clean room
-TV in room w/cable
-Table in room
-Air conditioner
-Hair dryer
-Continental breakfast (very basic)
-Pool
-Smoking & non-smoking rooms available

CONS-
-No fridge in room (a great amenity for road travelers!)
-No 'free wifi' as implied by sign at the road
-Sheets did not fit properly on the bed, causing them to come off the bed as we slept

Would I stay here again? Maybe. Is it a 5 star luxury hotel? No. Is it reasonable for a couple nights' stay? Absolutely.

Not the finest hotel experience you will have but certainly not the worst, either.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank N P

Thank you for staying with us. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. We are always interested in our guests concerns and recommendations. We take your comments seriously to help us improve. We look forward to serving your future hospitality needs.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

This is a great place to stay. It was quiet, kids enjoyed the pool when back from cedar point until past 12. The staff was wonderful. Breakfast was good enough to get you through until lunch. I am planning on staying here again next year for a week. Great price.

• Stayed: August 2013

Super glad to hear your stay with us was very pleasant. We are looking forward to seeing you this upcoming year and many more to come.