“Great Prices, Clean Room, Great Food”
Review of South Shore Inn

South Shore Inn
Ranked #13 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Ohio
“Great Prices, Clean Room, Great Food”
Reviewed July 6, 2007

My family and I just returned from a great vacation to Sandusky, OH. We stayed at the South Shore Inn and it was a wonderful experience. Everything was simple and efficient from the day we made our reservation to check-out. When we arrived the front desk staff was extremely friendly and informative. We had many questions about Cedar Point and the area, and they gladly answered all our questions. We reserved a 3-room suite, and what a great room it was! It looked as though it had been newly remodeled and included a King bed with private bathroom, two double beds, a pull-out couch and an additional bathroom. It had a very large living area and a kitchenette. The room was very clean and decorated very tastefully. The pool was great. It was right outside our room, very big, heated and had two slides. And the best part was...it only took us four minutes to get to the Cedar Point! There are many hotels on Route 250 or Milan Rd. and it would take 15 minutes or more to get to the park. From the South Shore Inn, it took only 4 minutes. The food was excellent as well. We learned the chef makes everything from scratch, right when you order it. Definitely try the London Broil or Chicken Picatta...excellent dishes.
This is a family owned and operated hotel and restaurant. It is nice to see establishments like this still operating today. This was a wonderful experience and we look forward to staying here when we return to Cedar Point.

• Liked — Proximity to Cedar Point, the great rates and great suite rooms
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank vacation1014

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
indianapolis
Reviewed May 24, 2007

I visited the South Shore Inn six years ago in April - May of 2001. I was finishing up my freshman year of high school back then and was a member of the school band. The band decided to take a trip to Cedar Point and used the services of a travel agent to book our stay. This travel agent ended up booking us in the South Shore Inn and upon arrival, I was a bit concerned. This place looked like the motels that Harry and Lloyd stayed in Dumb and Dumber so I was expecting the worst. Overall, the place was very casually run with natives running the hotel and the hotel room was more of a motel 8 caliber establishment and was sub par but got the job done. No elevators were present in the hotel, which I found to be a bit strange. Throughout my stay some wacky stuff happened. First off, the bartenders in the downstairs bar started serving free non-virgin daiquiris to various 15 - 16 year old kids in our group. Second off, our group was out in the pool area and a couple on an outdoor balcony-type room had left their door open and exposed their sexual endeavors to us all before closing the door after we began wolf-whistling and yelling from the hot tub. Thirdly, a sewage leak happened in one of our rooms and fecal matter dripped onto the breakfast buffet area DURING breakfast. Thankfully, only two nights were spent here. I would not recommend this place to anyone who wants a classy stay, but for those who just want the job done - this place is as efficient as can be. And, overall, I do not recommend Cedar Point as a whole - it just wasn't my style, partly because I hate roller coasters. But, the place is heaven for those who cant get enough of risking their life on death traps.

Stayed May 2007
2 Thank waxthenip
ManagerSSI, Owner/General Manager at South Shore Inn, responded to this review, July 10, 2007
In regards to the comment titled "Oh god, what an experience," I would like to clear a few things up. Never do our servers give away free alcoholic beverages, especially free alcoholic beverages to minors. We card everyone that asks for alcohol in our restaurant. In regards to the fecal matter on our breakfast buffet, that is an absolute lie. If this was true, I would have been informed of it and I never was. I checked with our staff and even our most veteran staff do not remember any occurances of this. We are a family-owned and operated establishment and we strive to provide our guests with a clean room, effective service and reasonable rates.

Travelers are raving about these Sandusky hotels

Kentucky
Reviewed October 8, 2006

My husband and I travel to Cedar Point each year. This is actually the second time we have stayed at this hotel, but this time was only for lack of options. While it is extremely convenient to Cedar Point we will absolutely not return to South Shore again - under any circumstances. There is not one glaring issue, rather several annoying characteristics which can simply put a damper on your hotel experience. I'll give you all the information and you can make the call.

First, a stay and room description: October 6-8; upstairs room; outside entrance; two double beds (all that was available); non-smoking; one nightstand between beds; one desk with lamp and chair; one floor lamp; two swinging wall lamps over bed; one cabinet for television and three drawers; vanity outside of bathroom; wall with door to outside was brick with AC unit built in.

Annoying…
1. The threshold was raised so that you stubbed you foot entering or exiting your room.
2. When you enter the room you cannot immediately turn on a light because the switch is behind the door. When we flipped the switch nothing happened. That was because you had to walk across the room and turn on the lamp that is connected to the light switch. How convenient.
3. The tiny television was honest to goodness at least twenty years old and did not have a remote. How convenient.
4. The single sink’s faucet was plumbed opposite, as in when you turned it to the left towards the “H” (which is traditionally the hot side) it was cold.
5. The toilet was a generic "house" toilet which ran, and ran, and ran…
6. I am 5’5” on a good day and could literally stand in the middle of the bathroom and touch both walls.
7. The shower head is not accommodating for taller people. It juts out of the wall at approximately 5’7” inches according to my husband who is 6’1”. I could easily touch the ceiling in the shower…again, I’m 5’5”.
8. When I was drying off with a towel there was a huge red lipstick lip blot. I am going to give them credit and assume this was a stain...but still.
9. Ants on nightstand and desk.
10. Though no fault of their own, the loud and very close trains woke me up several times during the first night. I guess I was too exhausted the second night to notice.
11. The hair dryer couldn’t put out a candle!
12. Just for the record, no free breakfast.
13. The worst was the large amount of cobwebs which dangled from the ceiling. I cannot express how many dirty, dark, dangling cobwebs there were. A grew up on a dairy farm...but this was gross!

Seems like I'm forgetting a few details...but you get the picture.

• Liked — Proximity to Cedar Point.
  • Disliked — It was simply not clean.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Call_Me_Honest_Abe
chadl44
Reviewed August 13, 2006

The hotel is clean, well kept, 200 yards from Castaway Bay. Very close to the causeway to Cedar Point. It was a good value for the location. We will stay there again.

Stayed August 2006
1 Thank chadl44
Buffalo
Reviewed July 24, 2006

we stayed in a 3-room suite, rooms 148 and 149. 8 of us slept comfortably.

first ill tell you the bad parts of our stay because its always easier to remember a small list: one of the outside doors needed to be pushed shut so it wouldnt open back up, the fridge was small for what we had (although we were wrong for not bringing a cooler), and the blankets on the bed needed to be updated.

now the good parts: location was amazing, its in a residential neighborhood, we were a 1/4 mile from the cedar point entrance and a mile ride to milan road with all its stores. but there werent any traffic problems because cleveland drive isnt a main road and the locals drive slow (sometimes to slow but im not from ohio so i cant complain.) the hotel has been updated recently. from the parts of the hotel i saw (our suite, the lobby and the vending area) wallpaper, fixtures, woodwork, decor etc are all relitively new. the hotel (and all other hotels in the area) cater to families above all so it was nice to know that despite kids running around that the owners take pride in their establishment and update their facilities. structurally speaking, the building was probably built (or extensively remodeled in the 60s). one thing the hotel should work on is updating its site because the pictures they provide do not look like the room we stayed in. the pullout was leather, the bed comforters were recent updates, the fixtures were modern. (honestly i wasnt expecting the best when i booked this place. seeing what the hotel looked like put a bigger smile on my face than topthrill dragster did) the place overall was clean too. the maid did an excellent job with providing extra linens and cleaning the bathroom. i think she even vacuumed. she also proped the stuffed animals in different locations like they do at disney resorts. the pool reeked of chlorine but whos complaining, thats not always a bad thing. the lawns were nice also, with flowers and furniture for those who need to escape their hotel room. the parking situation was decent. the lot is in a U shape with the pool inside between the two buildings. the pool was another good diversion. it has two water slides, and although they may look small on the pictures they still pack a punch.

i would definately stay here again and recommend it to others. the place had the perfect location, price, ammenities and cleanliness for even the pickiest of travelers. the staff really holds the place down and succeeds amazingly considering the minimum booking age is 18 and theres tons of families.

• Liked — convenience, cleanliness and recent updates.
  • Disliked — i stubbed my toe while walking to the pool.
  • Tips/Secrets — book rooms 148 and 149, because we did and our trip was amazing. i dont see how your could be that different.
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with friends
6 Thank DannyV
ontario
Reviewed July 13, 2006

We stayed here to attend Cedar Point. If your looking for a decent room, friendly service, pool, then this is your place. Checking in was great, simple. You have to pay in advance. Our room had a microwave, fridge and was quite roomy. The pool was open to 12 a.m. which I really liked because when you get back from Cedar Point you can rest your body in the hot tub. The kids loved the pool. I didn't care for the slide. Some really big kids were using them and they weren't being supervised. I could see someone getting hurt there soon. The hotel was very close to Cedar Point. We didn't get a chance to eat at the hotel. We just slept there in between our trips to the park. All of the hotels in this area are just like this one. Overall, yah I guess I would stay here again especially for the price.

• Stayed July 2006
2 Thank grace_73
London, Ontario
Reviewed July 9, 2006

We stayed here after the glowing reviews that travelocity customers gave it.. I suspect it was family members that trumped up the reviews... Upon arriving it looks ok, the lobby is nice, and the staff is very helpful.. But then into the rooms... Our room smelled like very bad B/O, and it didn't go away, it made our clothes stink like it too, even through our suitcases!!! The sheets seemed OK, but the mattresses were stained with horrible red/brown looking stains (which I can only imagine in my most horrible nightmares what may have transpired here).. The breakfast buffet has a limited selection for the price. There's an adequate patio if the weather is nice, and you'll meet some strange folk in the hotel bar...

• Stayed July 2006