“A dump. But a reasonably clean dump.”
Review of South Shore Inn

South Shore Inn
Ranked #12 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed August 26, 2010

Didn't expect much for a two-room "suite" for 100 bucks, but was just looking for a place that would take the dog without a hassle. It was certainly old and cheap, but it seemed clean enough. Beds were passable. Suite had two fulls and a Murphy in the other room. Darkest room I ever stayed in as lighting was minimal, to say the least. People were nice enough and brought extra sheets when we asked for them, and didn't disturb the dog during our day at the park.

Pool was OK only. Thai in-hotel restaurant was a very easy pass after one look. Free "breakfast" is a joke. White bread and toaster. One dinky waffle machine with scary looking batter. Two cheapo cereals. Lame coffee. Don't bother.

There is the advertised "game room"...just make sure you bring your own games and then you can sit and play them in the empty room.

If you are looking for "nice" go elsewhere. Looking to crash with kids and dog, etc. without a hassle or worry about somehow ruining the room? Maybe OK. But I wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed August 9, 2010

My husband and I were going to CedarPoint with his brother and sister in law and their three tennage kids, so we reserved a three room suite. It was disgusting. Everything was old and musty smelling, I had to run to the store for some room fresheners. The furniture was way outdated. The wallpaper was peeling off the walls. Definetly not worth the $200/ night that you pay. We stayed for two nights and I had gone to the front desk to let them know that we did not need housekeeping or fresh towels because we had gotten extra when we checked in. We came back from the park around 6:30 pm and one of the doors to our room was wide open, I went inside and there was housekeeping, she said the front desk told her to come give us fresh towels, when I had specifically told them we didn't need any. The worst part about this is, she was in the middle room of the suite and she had left the door wide open into the room with the two double beds, she couldn't even see into the room and someone could have stolen something and she would have never known. Moral of the story-Don't stay here!

Reviewed August 5, 2010

I decided to stay at South Shore based on relatively good reviews on Tripadvisor. We rolled in to Sandusky at 1am and did not have reservations but pulled in to South Shore anyway. I was greeted by a man who was friendly and attentive. I wanted a suite but they were booked already so I took a standard room. Arriving so late I asked if he could reduce the room cost for that night and he knocked $30 off the $100 normal rate.

In checking in to the room, we found it clean an tidy--no problems. The primary complaint from my two boys and wife was the double beds. We are spoiled and sleep on large beds at home. This obviously is not the fault of South Shore. We slept well the first night and based on other reviews on Tripadvisor, I listened close for the sound of a train. I did hear it but barely. It was far from loud enough to wake me up. Later the next day I crossed the train tracks where the train travels near the hotel. Its a fast speed freight rail line that is about 4 or 5 blocks away.

After spending the day at Cedar Point and retuning to our room at about 10pm I was disappointed to have a bunch of people smoking outside the doors of the non-smoking building. The smoking building is on the opposite side of the parking lot and I don't know why they weren't over there.

My boys were looking forward to using the pool and they decided not to because it was fairly packed but we did use the use the next morning. The pool was clean and refreshing. The slides were also fun.

The continental breakfast is where I'd mark South Shore down the most. Waffles, bread/toast, and cereal. Hard boiled eggs, yogurt, and fruit would not be that big of a deal to add and it would have made a big difference.

Reviewed August 2, 2010

Nice looking hotel from outside and lobby. rooms did not look bad. went out for a while
came back full of ANTS. called the desk, attendant on phone could care less. sent guy to spray. asked for a manage. not available, someone would leave a message for him. do you think i heard from him. of course not., when i went to see him, he did not care, will never stay there again.

Reviewed July 24, 2010

Spent one night on our way to Cedar Point. Kids loved the pool with slides. Met our family there and they stayed on the first floor which I guess has been updated and turned into suites. They were nice. We stayed on the upper floor of the motel which was not remodeled, but nice nonetheless. Clean is important to me and it was. My only bad for here was that the beds did not have fitted sheets on them. When you move, the top sheet would move too and then it was just bare mattress. If and when I go back, I'd stay here again for sure, but I'd either ask for fitted sheets, or bring my own.

Reviewed July 21, 2010

This is a decent hotel. The first women that tried to check us in didn't seem to have a clue what she was doing. I asked if there was a pool room available and she said "we'll have to just see where you are assigned" I asked another question that was just ignored. Fortunately a nice male clerk came over, took care of everything and we were ready to go in a minute or two after the other lady still hadn't figured it out after 10 minutes. The continental breakfast was decent. They should move the waffle iron away from everything else to ease line congestion. They could also use a couple more waffle irons. The room was fair, but could use updating. The pool and basic waterslide was rather nice. Might stay again, but would probably try other hotels in the area first.

The Thai restraunt in the place was fantastic.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 6, 2010

This was a bad stay all the way around. We were scheduled for two nights on a holiday weekend. Wound up leaving the second night at midnight and made a 4hr drive home because there was no vacancy in the town anywhere.

The room was musty smelling and hot. There was stains on the carpets in the loby, stairs, and in the room. The outside hot tub never worked. The shower in the room was so low, my husband had to kneel to take a shower. There is a restaurant in the lobby - once when we left, we seen a child riding her bicycle through the dining area. There was supposed to be a continental breakfast, but we never saw that either. But the icing on the cake was when we laid down after a LONG day at Cedar Point and found a spider in the bed. I'm allergic to spiders so we called the front desk to complain. All we got was an offer to come up and kill it. Eventually we were offered another room. Finally we demanded a refund and left.

During one of our trips to the front desk to inquire about the hot tub, we overheard another guest's complaint. Turns out she was traveling with friends and had two rooms. Her room was not ready, but they checked her in and gave her a key to the room. Luckily she placed her luggage in her friends' room. Later that night upon her arrival back at the hotel, she entered her room to find strangers in her room - they re-rented the same room.

Maybe we were just there on a bad weekend, but I would definitely not go back.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family