“Family owned means nothing”
Review of South Shore Inn

South Shore Inn
Ranked #13 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
A TripAdvisor Member
Ringoes, NJ
Reviewed October 7, 2005

Although the workers were very nice and helpful during my stay, I would not advise someone in going there nor would not return there myself. Looking past the fact that it is family owned, the rooms smell like smoke and the cleanlyness is average. The pool area is also not of the expectations I was thinking they were going to match, and the sheets were stained. In conclusion, if you are looking to stay in this hotel, look elsewhere. You will be able to get a lot more for your money at other hotels in th area.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for South Shore Inn

Reviewed August 29, 2005

We stayed @ South Shore Inn August 26-28th, 2005. Decent accommodations for the price, food leaves much to be desired, esp. the Breakfast Buffet. Pool and hot tub very nice perk. We were upgraded our last night there to a Whirlpool Suite...very spacious and bed extremely comfortable. There was some confusion re: Cedar Point package we had purchased but staff very accommodating and flexible with this issue. I would like to thank John in particular...I left my very valuable watch in our room and he was able to locate it and send it to me by mail. Similar situations in past involving losing articles did not, unfortunately involve such honest staff members. I commend South Shore Inn for this.

1  Thank pixiegrl
Reviewed August 7, 2005

We were not totally disappointed with the South Shore Inn. We had two connecting rooms which were clean, however they did smell like stale smoke. A few sprays of cologne and it went away. The showers are very small, and the beds are very short! But all in all, it was fine for the price we paid. It was close enough to the park that we could leave the park, go back to the hotel to cool off, go to dinner and return to the park at night. We didn't bother to eat at the restuarant, we grabbed a quick breakfast at McDonalds which is right on the way to the park, nice and quick. We went during a heat wave, and the rooms were cool; however the air conditioners are a bit noisy and there were people in the pool until about 3:00 a.m., so the air conditioner noise did drown out some of the pool noise. Judging by the looks of some of the other motels/hotels in the area, South Shore Inn was not too bad!

2  Thank jbrohena
Reviewed August 3, 2005

We stayed here after reading the reviews. I must say this is the first time we have been dissappointed and the reviews given didn't match up. First of all when we arrived there was a customer with a problem at the desk. It seemed that the person behind the desk was fueling the fire instead of trying to dissolve it. I heard her say, "no sometimes the customer is not always right." That should have been a red flag. Another person, possibly a manager, came out and was really loud and was very, very unprofessional! We quietly checked in and went upstairs to our room. We still heard them arguing for atleast another 15 minutes. I just feel when you work in the public, which I do, you should immediately diffuse the situation, not complicate matters. I think if they offered the gentleman an apology he would have been happy. From there we were also told our pillow cases were not clean yet, not a problem, but our room was propped open and the vacuum right in front of the door. The room smelled and I was getting a bit upset but after what was going on downstairs I didn't dare say anything. I just sprayed my husbands cologne to cover the smell. We checked our bed and there was blood on the sheets and small dead bugs. We did call the front desk and they sent someone up immediatly to change the sheets. They also did give a certificate for breakfast there. Which I will say was nice of them. The bed was very nasty, but it did look as though they were trying to update the rest of the room. We were kept up half the night by the room next door they were being so loud. We called the front desk and heard them go to the room and asked them to quiet down and their response was "we weren't that loud" well its pretty bad when we could hear their whole conversation. When we checked out they didn't even ask how our stay was and we stayed 2 nights. They just checked us out. Anyway you can take your chances on staying here. Maybe it is nicer then the other motels in the area, if that is the case thats pretty bad.

2  Thank kjzader
Reviewed July 24, 2005

We are local fans of South Shore/Grahams Restaruant. We have never had a bad dinner at their location. In fact the dinning room is one of the best in Sandusky. Everyone will be there when they reopen in the spring and regret the day in October when they close for the season.
The regular menu is wonderful. Shrimp Chardonay is very popular appetizer and the perch, walleye and Delmonico selections are the best. They have a London Broil and Lamb Dinner selections that would compare to restaurants in Cleveland.
So, breakfast is not there strong point! But the regular fare is worth the stop. Please do not allow one persons bad experience convey inadequacies for the rest of the establishment.
We have a very busy season here and if someone is taking time to play solataire at the computer, it is not because they are lazy! Did you ever think that they are suppose to be at the desk and that is all, and they are not to leave that area for any reason? If you are not in the service industry do not critize the operations of a given establishment during the summer months, especially one that is family operated. BAC

2  Thank alex1220
Reviewed July 21, 2005

I stayed at the South Shore the night before a Cedar Point day, and until 1 hour before I left there I thought the place was pretty good. I understand and can appreciate a family run hotel, with all the members of the family helping to make customers feel at home. As an example, late on the night we checked in, we wanted to go for a swim at the fantastic pool they have at the South Shore. When we asked the front desk for some towels, an adult searched for a moment without success under the counter, then directed a pre-teen member of the family/staff to take us to the laundry room to get our towels and bring back some to the lobby to replenish the supply there. We had no problem with this kind of help, and the child was dutiful and dilligent in service of getting us a couple of towels. No problems there. The problem came the next morning after a restful night. The restaurant connected to the hotel offered a buffet breakfast, which we were eager to dive into before a long day of riding rollercoasters. Here is where some changes need to be made. The same pre-teens that have no trouble finding you a towel at night should not be put in charge of running and keeping up a buffet. All of the food was cold, even at 8:30am, and none of the children had a clue. I mentioned something about it to one of the older children who was working as a waitress, but I never saw any changes made. I ended up paying $5.95 for cold cereal, as well as for my two kids that were there. None of us could really stomach cold, tough french toast or frigid greasy smoky links. While I got some cold cereal, my wife was presented with the bill, and because she is tougher than i, she told the girl that she would not pay for a buffet she didnt have anything from. The waitress got flustered and snooty with her, and snapped at her that "Fine! I will take it off your bill!" and stomped off in a huff. As I said, the South Shore is a clean comfortable hotel, but I have to recommend that you take your eating ideas somewhere else. Or recommend that the hotel owners and adult workers pay more attention to the guests than playing solitaire on the hotel registration computers and see how the kids are running the show.

2  Thank sunseeker1066
Reviewed June 1, 2005

We do quite a bit of traveling during the year and I'm very particular about the hotels we stay in. My husband is more concerned about a place to lay his head, but cleanliness, safety, and service are important to me. I grew up in this town, so I'm familiar with what hotels NOT to stay in. When we were making travel arrangements, I had already chosen a newer hotel in town because it had a good rating and I figured because it was new, it would be clean and well maintained. However, when I called my husband to tell him about the hotel, he had already made reservations at South Shore. I immediately had a negative attitude because I had never heard of this place and I figured that if it was along Cleveland Road, it was going to be less than desireable. Plus, the reviews I had read about some of the hotels in that area made me feel this hotel was going to be a place in which I would walk right back out the door once we got there. Boy was I wrong!!!! I was surprised that the lobby looked just as it did on the website - very bright, clean, and welcoming. Usually web pictures are deceiving. When we got to our room, I expected to see an oversized tub in the middle of the bedroom - another surprise. The jacuzzi was in a small, but beautiful bathroom with marble. The bathroom was extremely clean as was the room itself. There was no musty, stale, odor. The room smelled very clean and fresh. The bathroom didn't have the faint smell of urine or mold - everything was very, very clean!!! Even the sheets smelled fresh!! I've been in hotels where the sheets were obviously worn out and old with holes. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We requested extra pillows and towels and they were brought to our room immediately.

The only "negatives" were the fact that there were no elevators. It was a little challenging to carry all of our luggage up to the second floor. Also, the cleaning service wasn't consistent. We never knew when they might show up. The first day of our stay, they came in the morning to clean, but two days later, they didn't show up until 7:30 that evening to clean. We were leaving the next day, so there was really no need for them to come and change sheets or clean the room. Still, they were very friendly and apologetic.

The only disappointment we had was when we found out that the hotel isn't open year-round. Whenever we come to town to visit, we like to stay in a hotel. Our hotel of choice used to be the Raddison before it became a waterpark, so we were hoping that South Shore could be our new choice when we visted during the fall and winter. However, we intend to make this our hotel choice whenever we are in town and they're open.

• Stayed: May 2005