“Surprise, Really Super Inn!”
Review of South Shore Inn

South Shore Inn
Ranked #13 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed June 11, 2013

From the moment we checked into the Inn we were pleased. The lobby is very appealing and clean. The staff very attentive to our needs. This is one of the quickest and easiest check-ins we 've had in a long time.
The king room was located in a nice area on the premises. The bed was very comfortable and the room clean! The towels were perfect. Yes, CLEAN!! We stayed 2 nights in this wonderful establishment. We cannot vouch for the restaurant since we did not have dinner there; they are a separate entity from the Inn.
We came here for OBW (OH Bike Week) and will be back to stay again. It is quite obvious the staff and owners
care about this Inn and taking care of their customers. To that we say "Thank you". See you next year if not
sooner.

Room Tip: A room away from pool area if you want more quiet time.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
marilyn1714, revenue manager at South Shore Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Thank you very much for choosing our hotel when in town during Ohio Bike Week. We sincerely appreciate your very kind comments, and were very pleased to read that we exceeded your expectations.

We look forward to being your hotel of choice in the Sandusky/Cedar Point area.

Marilyn Edwards
Revenue Manager

Reviewed June 5, 2013

This was our second time at South Shore Inn, and we loved it once again. Last time we stayed (July 2011 - my review is under another email chrissymel123@woh.rr.com) we had a room in the interior of the main building that was very nice. I was a little worried when we were told that this time we'd be in a room in the other building with outside entrances. We needed two queen beds, and these were the only rooms that had them. When I made my reservation, she told me that those rooms had been recently renovated, and boy was she right. The room (241) literally felt like a model hotel room, it seemed brand new! I honestly feel like we may have been the first people in that room after the remodel. Everything from carpet, to the drapes, shower curtain, carpet, bedding, paint, TV was brand new...and it was sooo nice! I have really no complaints at all about our room, or the outside noise. It was a little cool for the pool the night we were there, so I cant say how noisy it would be on a warmer night, but we didnt hear anything. The ONLY thing I might say was a negative (and not a biggie) is that the shower head was kind of low for me (I'm 5'8 and my husband is 6'3), and the water got pretty warm, but not really what I would call hot. Both of these are not huge things, considering how nice the room was! Also, the staff was once again helpful, and even allowed us a last minute change from our original reservation that was for Tues night, to change it to Mon night! If you're in town for Cedar Point, its close (within 3-5 mins), and inexpensive. We wont stay anywhere else!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
marilyn1714, Revenue Manager at South Shore Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments after your recent stay with us, as our guest feedback is very important to us. We were very pleased to read how much you enjoyed our newly renovated room and our close proximity to Cedar Point.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Marilyn Edwards
Revenue Manager

Reviewed February 5, 2013

This place was... OK.

Yes the price is cheap for comparable hotels in the area. It's a bit off the strip, and a little bit from Cedar Point, but still a quick easy drive. The thing is though... is yes it's a motel, with outside doors... but the sound proofing is next to non existent!

Unfortunately it seemed that we came on the same evening as a prom or some other teenage party night, as one side of the place was full of rowdy kids (and I'm not some crotchety old person I'm 28 so that's saying something) They were playing music from their cars and being overall loud and annoying. We even had the room on the far side tucked in a corner, and it was still unbearably loud. We did call the front desk who must have told them to turn it down as they did... a tiny bit....

The rooms were standard, had a mini fridge, and the beds comfortable. Just the sound throughout the night was a bit much even for the cheap price. Again it is a great price in the area and a decent location, just ask for a room on the outside and you might be better off where you're away from the parking lot/courtyard noise.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the middle courtyard area
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 10, 2012

My husband and I tried out the hot tub and I noticed his face had white
marks all over it. Some sort of paint was coming off on our hands and he had
rubbed his face and so the white face. Hot tub could have been hotter and I
didn't see any on or off switch controls.
We got the suite and didn't realize that the fold out bed was on the wall not the couch so
you might want to be aware of that. The refrigerator that came with the rroom wasn't very
cold. We booked this room because my son was racing in a half marathon at Cedar Point, wish the hotel would have had a sign welcoming all the athletes.
Desk clerks were friendly and patient!

Room Tip: ask if there are any wedding parties at the hotel and request a room away from partiers.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 19, 2012

The room was clean and no bugs..... everything was there.. I would recommend getting a ground floor room.... bit of a pain on the second floor. Hotel staff were very helpful and continental breakfast was good.
The pool and hot tub are outside, so make sure the temp is good when you go. It was clean and functioning well. The hotel itself, rooms etc.. are a bit tired..... its an older hotel but clean and everything worked.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor at the rear.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 16, 2012

If you look at the HoJo N Park Entrance you will see what brought me to this hotel. The biggest difference between the two is the South Shore Inn's owner cares about their property and the other does not. The room was clean, the grounds were maintained. The breakfast was good, a little short only a couple of hours for the whole hotel to eat but it is achievable. Thomas helped me with the room when I left the other hotel. I had no problems with the door. The pool has a slide for the kids and they also had a hot tub for the parents, great after a day of roller coasters.

Room Tip: We stayed in the ones that were more like a motel or inn, they also have some indoors like a hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank James S
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Where to start...well when we got to the room we found the door didn't shut unless I threw myself into it, but I overlooked that because we would only be there for the night. I walked into the bathroom and someone had defecated in the toilet and left it there. When I tried to flush the toilet it clogged. I picked up the phone to call the front desk, but the phone didn't work. I called from my cell phone and requested someone come by and plunge the toilet. A young man in his late teens or early twenties stopped by and when my girlfriend opened the door he handed her a plunger. When he handed her the plunger she asked if we had to do it ourselves and he said, "we don't plunge toilets." After he walked away she told me that had happened and I called the front desk and asked for a manager to come to the room. The same young man came to the door and told me that he would not plunge my toilet and it was their policy not to fix the toilet if it broke. After a brief discussion with the young man I told my girlfriend that we would be leaving. I called the front desk to tell them we would be checking out, the gentleman at the front desk asked why we were checking out already and I told him the situation. He told me that to be credited for the room the manager would have to come by and inspect the room. The same young man from previously came by and asked me, "what my problem was", I asked him to come in and inspect the room so we could check out. He refused to come in to inspect the room. After that we just got in the car and left. We ended up staying at a Comfort Inn less than 5 miles away and it ended up being cheaper. This was by far the worst experience I have ever had at any hotel in my life. Please, do yourself a favor, do not stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Our room came with feces already in the toilet.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple