Howard Johnson Express Inn - Sandusky Amusement Park
Ranked #31 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed August 25, 2013

The room was in poor condition, ripped carpet, hole in bathroom wall no soap in bathroom and dust webs in the corners. Asked to pay cash at check in , instead CC was charged overall, even though price was very reasonable I would have paid $20 more per night for something clean and in good condition

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
hotelsanduskyoh, Webmaster at Howard Johnson Express Inn - Sandusky Amusement Park, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson Express Inn - Sandusky Milan Rd. for your recent stay in our area.

Management was approached about the possibility of their doing periodic inspections of the facility to see to it that it is meeting the standards which we set for it.

I hope that the next time you visit our area you will once again choose to stay at Howard Johnson Express Inn - Sandusky Milan Rd. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Terrible Terrible Never again, we had a family of 4 and got the only room that was left on the site the king size bed, we had an air mattress for my son to sleep on. Well let me say we couldnt move the bed took up the entire room. The bathroom was tiny. Went to go get our money back to go somewhere different and they said we had to call expedia to get our money back, funny thing about that is I booked with the howard johnson website not expedia. Went back to the office and told them. They wanted my credit card to make sure I booked with them. Sure enough I did, told me my money would be back in 3 to 4 days it took 6 days to return. Very unhappy. Went to another hotel. Had a better trip to Cedar Point after that hiccup of a place. They should update pictures of the tiny rooms instead of mislead you into thinking rooms are huge.

1  Thank Amanda H

Dear Guest,

• Staff members received additional training in the courteous manner in which they are to treat you, our valued guests.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Found this on Kayak two days before our trip to Cedar Point. Figured we'd drive in the night before so we would be fresh for our day. We had a few different $50 options but some didn't include a continental breakfast and others added $12 for having 4 people. (Myself and three kids).

I'll start with the good points. Very nice desk clerk whom i assumed was the son of the owners/managers. Check in was simple. The room was small but clean. Seemed newly updated and the bathroom and desk area were clean. Nothing really out of place. Newer flat screen TV with plenty of channels. Pool looked nice a clean but we didn't swim. The continental breakfast consisted of coffee, juice, donuts and cereal. Nothing too extravagant but to basically give my party of four a good send off it was just right. If you require a full breakfast, head down the road to a diner.

The room smelled musty and like the cleaners they use heavily during housekeeping. Partially because the air conditioner was off and the room must have been over 80 degrees. The air conditioner was a large older, noisy wall mounted unit that worked fine and perhaps the noise kept any outside noise from bothering our sleep. I'm glad that i found this small place at a great price for the grand total of 9 hours i was using it.

To end i will say that this hotel was probably there 20 years before i first went to Cedar Point in the early 70's and with a few updates is still filling the bill. Just understand that for the money it was a great deal but don't expect a 5 star experience. Your not paying for one! If i was a poor college kid again and had to pool my money to go on vacation i would think i was a pig in mud at this motel.

Dear Guest,

• Staff was informed of the nice comment you made about them and received our commendation.

Sincerely

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2013

When we arrived the guy at the desk was very nice! When we got to the room we had to leave the door open to air out the very strong musty smell. It took about 2 hours to fully disapate The room with two double beds was VERY small. But we didn't mind because basically we were just there to shower and sleep. You couldn't get to the shower unless you stepped in the bathroom, stepped to the side and closed the door. so small. Even then, the door did not close completely. It had to stay cracked. While I was laying on my bed I kept getting a strong whiff of urine smell. I couldn't figure it out and started smelling everything around me. I picked up one of the pillows on my bed and it was stained and smelled SO strong of urine. I was completely grossed out! For 100 a night I would expect a little better than what we got. I was extremely disappointed. I am not hard to please, I just ask that my room not stink and I not be asked to sleep on pee pillows.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

Shower is full of mold. Room 227 next to check in office which means u hear every conversation, door being buzzed, phone ringing in the office two feet away. Pool is not heated. Did not sleep a wink in the morning left and went home. Was too tired to go to soak city. Ruined weekend completely

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank DaKatzMeow

Dear Guest,

• Maintenance was notified of the problems which you experienced with the showerhead in the room assigned to you and instructed to see to their repair or replacement.

• Management has been suggested about a system being set up so that our valued guests could be serviced with the items for which they ask.

I hope that the next time you visit our area you will once again choose to stay at Howard Johnson Express Inn - Sandusky Milan Rd.. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Reviewed August 15, 2013