“Pay more to stay somewhere else.”

Howard Johnson Express Inn - Sandusky Amusement Park
Ranked #31 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Terrible. I've stayed in my share of roadside motels. I've even stayed in my share in Sandusky, Ohio. It seems each time I go to Cedar Point, I'm trying a different little motel - whatever is the cheapest. All I need is a bed. That's what I thought until I stayed at this place. Disgusting. A friend we were traveling with even decided to drive back to Cleveland that night instead of staying here. We had a 6 hour trip the next morning, so we weren't that lucky. The beadspreads in both rooms were covered in stains, and were dingy. The AC had been turned off in the rooms, and it took about 30 minutes to blow the hot, stale air out of there. We stripped the comfortors off the bed and just slept with the sheets, which seemed cleaner. You better believe we checked for bed bugs, too. All clear on that account, thank goodness. They do have an outdoor pool, but based on the filth in the rooms, I wouldn't get in it. I don't think I've ever left a worse review, but this place was no good. It was definitely not worth the $10-20 I saved over staying somewhere else.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank StaceyEM83
hotelsanduskyoh, Webmaster at Howard Johnson Express Inn - Sandusky Amusement Park, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson Express Inn - Sandusky Milan Rd. for your recent stay in our area.

Thank you for giving us a review, it is very much appreciated. Upon receipt of your review, it was shared with the manager and ways in which our valued guests could feel that they were getting their moneys worth were discussied.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Howard Johnson Express Inn - Sandusky Milan Rd. We take our reviews very seriously, and I think you will be very pleased. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed June 25, 2012

I had booked this hotel and paid for 3 nights in advance. Upon arriving at this location, I knew immediately that it had been misrepresented on the website. We reluctantly checked in and while attempting to open the door (it was stuck and had to be forced open) we knew we had made a mistake. The room smelled of mold and a dirty stench. The bedspread had major stains on it and there was what appeared to be blood on the headboard. The pillows were solid yellow (sweat stains Im assuming) and were not fit for someone to lay their head on! There was NO sink in the bathroom, rather it was where the desk would be at the edge of the bed!!!!! The floor was filthy dirty and the shower was nasty! We had 2 teens with us who were mortified! Although our money was refunded, it ruined the beginning of our vacation and we wasted time trying to find another location! PLEASE.... WARNING.... find a different hotel. This place should be condemmed or at least the Health Dept should check them out! The Howard Johnson on Cleveland is much closer to Cedar Point and it is clean and nice and wonderful staff there!

Room Tip: Howard Johnson on Cleveland at the entrance to Cedar Point! Great place to stay! Excellent value!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Laurie A
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

Dear Laurie A,

Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson Express Inn - Sandusky Milan Rd for your recent stay in our area. I am sorry it was not what you had anticipated.

• Maintenance was informed of the problem with the door of the room assigned to you and instructed to see to any needed repair or replacement.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Howard Johnson Express Inn - Sandusky Milan Rd. We take our reviews very seriously, and I think you will be greatly pleased.

Reviewed June 18, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here one night before we went to Cedar Point. It was literally 5 minutes from the park so the location was great. We paid $70 for one night in a two double bed room, so the price was very cheap. It was a little small, but we only really slept in there so we didn't need too much room. Very clean though, and the breakfast was good if you like cereal, juice, and donuts. We didn't swim in the pool but it looked clean from what we saw. I would reccomend this place to anyone going to Cedar Point and just needs a place to stay for the night.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Small, but nice, clean room. Price was great! Staff was very friendly and helpful. Right in the center of town. Very close to Cedar Point. Very close to mall and restaurants. Great value!

Room Tip: Perfect for the price, if you are looking for somewhere to sleep after a day at Cedar Point. Small...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Alicia s
Reviewed June 10, 2012

We were traveling with 4 kids, happy to see a room with 3 doubles available, not having to get 2 rooms like other places.

Owners were very friendly and helpful when we were having issues with the cable. Extended pool hours worked well with our travel time, and the kids had a blast.

Continental breakfast fit into our budget, and everyone left full. The doughnuts they got from Jolly Donuts were YUMMY!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 21, 2012

For the price I paid I did'nt expect great but this was far worse. We checked in late after a long day at Cedar Point the staff was very nice and check in was very quick as well as our check out in the morning. That was the only good thing the room looks nothing like what the internet shows the beds were very low to the ground and hard as a rock the sheets and comforters had stains on them and were very old and outdated. The bathroom was no bigger than a closet and far from clean I was afraid to walk on the floor in my barefeet the towel rack was ready to fall off the wall and there was hair in the shower on the soap shelf. The only positive thing is that it is located close to Cedar Point.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank abarker72
hotelsanduskyoh, Webmaster at Howard Johnson Express Inn - Sandusky Amusement Park, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson Express Inn - Sandusky Milan Rd for your recent stay in our area. I am glad that you found our staff to be very nice. I would have expected nothing less, but it is always nice to hear. I am glad that the location was a good one for you.

• Staff received our commendation for the courteous, friendly way in which they treated you, our valued guests.

• Maintenance was informed that the towel rack was falling of the wall in the room assigned to you and instructed to see to the needed repair or replacement.

• Management was approached about having the internet better reflect what will be found on site.

Reviewed May 12, 2012 via mobile

An old 50/60s era hotel with updated rooms. By today's standards, the rooms are small, but what do you really need for a nights sleep? The hotel is about ten minutes away from Cedar Point. With the cost of an amusement park visit today, it makes sense to cut costs with a less expensive hotel. No complaints, the hotel is a bargain if you just want a clean room for a nights rest.

• Stayed: May 2012