“Where is the Steak?” 2 of 5 bubbles

Steak 'n Shake
Ranked #127 of 180 Restaurants in Sandusky
Cuisines: American, Fast Food
Good for: Kids, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
WI
“Where is the Steak?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

I have never been to a Steak n Shake before but have seen it many times on our vacations over the years. So I decided to try it and see what it was all about. I guess its "upscale" fast food. I think that is what they are trying to do. Kind of a diner motif with a Denny's like menu. We went late in the morning so my daughter had the breakfast taco, wife had patty melt, and I had the country skillet. Daughter liked her choosing. I thought my skillet was what I expected -kk-. My wife on the other hand laughed when she was served her patty melt. She opened her melt and was looking for the meat and could not find much but a thin piece of beef. Obviously she chose patty melt from the picture on the menu and what she was served was not even close. My wife pointed this to the waitress and she replied that it was how the cook cut the melt.
My wife chuckled at this answer and attempted to eat her patty melt. So definitely a thumbs down for my wife. Now to be fair the manager did come and removed her order from the bill which I did not expect, but I thought was very nice. However, even without the our little snafu, I can not recommend this place. There are literally too many places on the main drag that is better bang for the buck.

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Harrison, New Jersey, United States
“Delicious!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2012

I went to this Steak & Shake for lunch last week with my family. This restaurant is in a great location as it is right next to the Great Wolf and on Hwy 250. The people who work at this establishment are really happy to us, and made our lunch the best. Restaurant is clean, atmosphere is wonderful, and the food was deelish! Their Frisco sauce is definitely a plus! Also, my burger and fries only cost about $5, so the value here is beyond excellent! Really good chocolate shakes too. Everything that I've experienced was perfect, JUST PERFECT!!! We'll go back to this Steak & Shake again, without a doubt! =]

• Visited April 2012
Maumee, Ohio
“Hit and Miss”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2012

I've been to Steak n' Shake twice and ordered the same thing both times (double cheese burger, fries, mocha shake). The first time was great: the burger was perfect and it was the best shake I've ever had. This second time was a huge disappointment. It was almost like the burger was pre-made and there wasn't enough mocha flavor in the shake. It was like eating at two different restaurants. Perhaps it was because the first time was in the evening during the week and the second was dinner rush on a Sunday? The only thing consistent with both visits was the quality of the service. I love how the waitresses read our orders back to us - no errors at all and there were 5 of us. My advice: go during the week. Perhaps the kitchen is overwhelmed on the weekend hence the lower quality of the food.

• Visited March 2012