“Great Wolf is great for little kids”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Toledo, Oh
“Great Wolf is great for little kids”
Reviewed April 22, 2007

My wife and 5 year old son stayed at Great Wolf on Friday April 20th. We arrived at 1pm knowing check in was not till 4pm, but knowing we could use the water park early, we decided to get their early. I was surprisded that our room was ready so that made everything easier as we were able to take eveything to our room and change in there vs. changing in the locker room.
We stayed in the Family Suite and it was just fine, it was clean with plenty of room for the 3 of us.
Our son loved the water park as he was able to go on all the rides, something he can't do at other water parks. Sometimes my wife or I had to go ahead of him down the slide and wait for him at the bottom, but that was fine for us. He could also wear a life jacket in other areas, so all in all he had a great time. I can see where for older kids they could get bored pretty quickly though. We have been to other water parks that have more rides.
Being there on Friday was great, we never had to wait in line, be that at check in, the water park or the restaurants.
On Friday night we ate at Gitchigoomie and it was very good with large portions. Saturday morning we ate at Lumber Jack's which was served family style and was good also.
We had a good time in the arcade as there are games for little kids and adults.
Saturday the park did start to fill up more, and when we finally left at around 3pm, there was a long line out the door with people waiting to check in. I was really glad at this point that we came on Friday.
All in all we had a really good time and we were exhausted when we left as our son never wanted to take a break. I would highly recomend Great Wolf for people with little kids as they can use the entire park. As they get older though we would probably go to other parks.

• Liked — The fact that our son was able to go on all the rides
  • Disliked — The size of the bathroom
6 Thank jcu1008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Brighton, Michigan
Reviewed April 14, 2007

We stayed here for the night of April 12, 2007. I have to agree with some of the recent reviews of to little staff. The front lobby is stuffed with couches and chairs, causing everyone to cram into the front lobby while trying to check in. There is no order in the check in process, just dive into a line and cut in line to get to the front first. The lobby is so crowded, that you cant get out of it with your luggage.

The Pool area was acceptable, but why do the staff not keep people with their food out of the pools? Beer, pop, nachos, pizza and pretzels were the swimming companions for the patrons. The tables were never cleaned during the closed hours before the morning opening. Every table had encrusted food on it. Maybe they should have the housekeeping staff start in the pool area instead of banging on your door at 8am and every half hour until you check out (talk about making you feel welcome, "please use the pool until you check out", HA, HA, HA). Also, the adult hottub always had kids splashing around in it. The parents were oblivious to the signs stating "No Kids", and staff never came around to enforce the rule.

The strong area of the GW is the Lumberjack restaurant. All you can eat for 10.95, with delicious homemade entrees. I would eat here again.

All in all, it was an okay stay, but I would rather spend my money somewhere else. I was disappointed that this was the quality of my kids' reward for extra work around the house.

• Disliked — cleanliness
3 Thank Kingshott
cortlandt manor, ny
Reviewed April 7, 2007

This was the 6th GW my son and I stayed have visited and I would not hurry to go back. We arrived at 5pm and the room was ready. We stayed in the queen sofa suite. It was clean and enough room for the 2 of us. We ended up in the handicap room which meant we had a huge bathroom.. There was no room safe which made me quite nervous. The front desk staff was not very friendly-just did the bare minimum. Waterpark was ok-small and doesn't have a wave pool. The balcony that you can sit on was very nice and relaxing. The lifeguards were attentive. The food was pricey(same at all GW) the pizza was ok the hamburger was the worst I ever had. The bathrooms in the water park were very nice with private areas to change in( this is different than the other parks).. Had problems with children in the adult only wave pool but the staff did come to chase them out. The arcade was big with a friendly staff. I find the prizes to be pretty good compared to our local Chucky cheese place. The Cub Club was soso. Staff was ok but you had to pay at the front desk and than bring back a ticket-not very convienent. They were having a special on the tatoos so I let my son get 2. Looked very cool but didn't last very long. The biggest problem was my bill. It wasn't right and the front desk acted like I was nuts for questioning them. Next time we come to Sandusky I will have to try one of the other waterpark hotels

• Liked — waterpark
  • Disliked — front desk staff, nosiy heater in room
2 Thank swim4gold
OH
Reviewed March 29, 2007

We stayed at the Great Wolf Lodge on March 24-25, 2007. We were unpleasantly surprised by a lobby jammed full of people trying to check in on Saturday afternoon, with only 3 people working the desk (they eventually added a 4th.) Check-in took 45 minutes. The room (a Kids' Cabin) was OK, but the carpet was worn and it was just not worth $300/night. I expect more than "OK" for that price! The water park was OK, too, but there wasn't a lot to do. My boys, 8 and 10, had fun on the slides and the lazy river, but we only stayed a couple of hours on Saturday, and maybe an hour more than that on Sunday, because there just wasn't enough at the water park to entertain them for long. The game room was poorly staffed, dirty, and had only two functioning ticket-taking machines. We had to wait in line there, too. Using the elevator was also not an option, with only two elevators for the huge facility. The wait times were ridiculous.

I can't way we hated the place, it just wasn't worth the price. We aren't likely to come again.

2 Thank meinOH
cleveland
Reviewed March 24, 2007

The hotel was beautiful but the conditions of the waterpark were dirty... 12 hours after our visit both of our children, ages 2 and 11 months were admitted to the hospital for Rota Virus for a week ... a virus that comes from unclean places.
THANK YOU GREAT WOLF LODGE!!!

• Liked — the kid beds
  • Disliked — uncleanliness
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
8 Thank faith3369
perrysville
Reviewed March 16, 2007

We just returned from a 3 day stay at the Great Wolf in Sandusky. I have 3 children ages 5,9,and 12 and my children had a great time they all had plenty to do and the life guards were on duty and were watching everything that was going on. The lines were short and if they werent they moved quickly so that the kids didnt stand in line half the day. The childrens game room is fun for all ages also. This hotel has something for the little youngsters and for the young at heart. I would recommend this to everyone .....The activities they have daily the children also loved . We were lucky enough to see a real bear cub while there .... Thumbs up stay for us ......

• Liked — the space , with all to do alot of people still didnt have to wait in line more then like 3 minutes
  • Disliked — nothing it was all good
2 Thank juliespreng
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed March 11, 2007

I took my 12 yr old daughter and her friend to the resort for a one night get away. We had the fireplace family suite and it was quite large. My first impression upon walking into the lobby was very good, quite large, nice chairs w/big stone fireplace. The check in staff was very neutral, gave us our keys and that was it. Our room appeared dirty at first as the carpet was torn and humped in places. Upon looking further we realized that it was just the carpeting, so we were careful not to trip over the humps. Otherwise quite clean, I lked the 2nd sink w/microwave and cups. It was weird to have the coffee maker in the bathroom though, hard to get to it in the a.m. while the girls got ready. We headed to the waterpark after check in and I was surprised that it was not larger, mostly I wanted to swim and there really wasn't anywhere to do this. There is a small pool to the left side but it is for basket ball and has large climb-on floaties, so I was out of luck. I did try a few of the water slides and they are fun, but my back ached after 3 trys so I soaked in the hot tub. That was a surprise, both the adult and family ones were quite large and very relaxing. The two girls ended up being bored after about an hour, though the park was not crowded and they were able to ride the slides a lot. I think the park is better suited to the younger set. The girls were not interested in the video games and had no interest in the show in the lobby, I agree w/another person here, that child in the stump was creepy. We did eat dinner in Gitchegoomie which was a disappointment. The entire meal took 2 hours and there were very few people in the resturant. Our waiter ignored us most of the time, talking w/some other workers toward the back. It took 3 requests to get our water glasses refilled, when my daughter asked for more toast to go w/her appetizer, we never saw it. The only time we saw him after that was for him to give me the bill, and the prices were very high for a family resturant. The next morning the coffee cart came in handy but I was again disappointed that the only breakfast was a buffet. Not being a big breakfast eater I let the girls have the buffet and I ate a granola bar I had brought along. I think the resort should let people know the resturant situation before coming as I would have brought more food to supplement. The snack bar in the back of the waterpark was a nice surprise, they had a big variety and the girls were happy to get drinks and popcorn as a snack on the 2nd day. I don't think we would go back, although if I did I would take more food and drinks.

• Liked — The suites are large and nice to be able to spread out.
  • Disliked — Not much for teenagers to keep busy.
2 Thank laenie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandusky
Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark
Beachfront Resort
Beachfront Resort
#10 of 17 in Port Clinton
Cedar Point's Hotel Breakers

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!