“A great hotel close to Cedar Point”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed March 9, 2010

My husband and I and our 5 friends stayed here in June. We picked this hotel because we went to Cedar point for 2 days and needed a hotel close to it. We picked the Loft with a fireplace suite w/ balcony. It was very nice, spacious and clean. Liked the loft part a lot, also has a half bath upstairs. We didn't check in until late, we had been at cedar point all day. However the staff was very polite and helpful and found a bell cart for us to put all of our luggage on. Tried the waterpark it was alright, the hot tubs in the adult area are really nice, they have a "rock look to them and are secluded and relaxing. the rest of the waterpark is mainly for childrenand was small but we had fun playing around, and itwas clean. We ate dinner late on the 2nd night at the Gitchigoomie grill. we arrived about 20 mins. before they closed. The food was good and our waitress was nice. However we did have a major promblem with the hostess as she didnt want to let us in, and was quite rude to us and made us wait in the hall before she found us a waitress eventhough they were open still. WE ate breakfast our last day at lumber jacks cook shanty , there was a breakfast buffet and they brought the hot food family style to your table, it was cozy and the food was good there too. The great wold lodge was a great hotel, close to cedar point. polite helpful employees, clean spacious rooms, a fair amount of dining options. In fact the only reason we switched to kalahari in aug. 2009 is because we needed bigger rooms than great wolf offered. If we ever go in a small group we would definately stay here again, no hesitation.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
GWL_Management, Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2010

We are delighted to hear that you had an overall enjoyable experience at Great Wolf Lodge – Sandusky. We are sorry to hear about the inconveniences you experienced at dinner and will be sure to use your comments to improve our level of service. We really appreciate the feedback from our guests and thank you for taking time to share you thoughts. We look forward to having you back for a return visit!

Reviewed March 8, 2010

I thought I would surprise our three children with an overnight get away and booked a room last minute. When we arrived, they had us coming in the night before. We explained we both worked until late the night before and would never have booked a room for that night. The clerk at the desk went to talk to the manager on duty and was able to get us a room...of course at a higher rate. When the clerk returned her attitude was she was doing us a favor and we had better appreciate it when my husband questioned why the increase in rate. When we finally got settled and entered the water park, it was EXTREMELY busy! The pool was filled with people shoulder to shoulder, you could not find a seat, and then they closed the pool due to a diaper mishap. The changing/restrooms on both days were very dirty! Dirty towels overflowing in the towl bins, the floors were disgusting! There was not a dry place to set anything down and change! The one staff member I did see was taking her time collecting the towels. When I questioned her about the amount of dirt on the floor she just replied that they were busy. I asked if it was a typical weekend volume and she said yep. Totally disappointed with this hotel. I have been to other hotels like this and will go back to them and tell everyone I know NOT to go to this one. Oh, I forgot, they tried to charge me for two nights when we only stayed and booked for one.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank coffeeloverwithcream

We are truly sorry that you did not have an enjoyable experience during your recent stay at Great Wolf Lodge – Sandusky. Your feedback is helpful for us to make ongoing improvements so we thank you for taking the time to post a review. We very much appreciate it.

Reviewed March 6, 2010

After reading the other reviews on tripadvisor my wife was a little hesitant to stay here but I talked her into keeping an open mind and just let us form our own opinion.
My wife,and 2 yr old daughter and I loved the Great Wolf Lodge! It was a very nice winter getaway. We are in Ontario and checked out the GWL in Niagara Falls and found that we could stay in Sandusky for about half the price of Niagara.
We paid for our breakfast when we booked our room online which I would highly recommend doing as it is expensive if you just go to the restaurant. The breakfast was pretty good as far as taste goes but the first day I had orange juice which I didn't have to pay for but the second day I did so I am not sure if it is included or not.
Eating breakfast there is good if you are in a hurry to get to the waterpark because you don't have to leave the lodge;although there are a lot of other restaurants close to the lodge if you do decide to go out.
I wouldn't recommend eating supper there as we found it quite expensive for what you got. I had the perch platter that came with 6 small perch fillets and mashed potatoes with gravy that was $17.95 If you wanted vegetables with your meal that will cost extra.
The water park is great for younger kids I think that teenage kids might get a little bored but our daughter loved it.
I found the heater in our room was quite noisy at night but I really only noticed it when I was trying to fall asleep and when I was starting to wake up so It wasn't really a big deal.
They are really environmentally concious which is a good thing.
One thing i would like to see is that the "Bear Essentials" shop be open and the place to rent a locker be open. We stayed Mar.1 to Mar. 4 and neither of these places were open any day we were there so Mar. 4 we had to leave our valuables on a table while we enjoyed the water park.
We have already recommended this hotel to some of our friends who are already planning a trip here.
We will definately go back and hopefully bring more people with us next time.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family

We are thrilled to hear that your family had a nice winter getaway to Great Wolf Lodge – Sandusky. We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts! Your feedback is greatly appreciated and will help us with continued improvements. We look forward to having you back!

Reviewed February 14, 2010

Mgmt sends out a survey as if they want to make you feel like they care, but then when you tell them what happened, they won't acknowledge any wrongdoing. First, I got sick after eating at the grill. A nurse was with me, and she thought that it was food poisoning. What I ate was sickening, I only took a few bites. My 2 little granddaughters got hurt on the infant slide. Both had bloody knees. All they need to do is put down a bigger mat so they hit the mat instead of the concrete. They didn't even acknowledge my comment about this on the survey. They did acknowlege my comment on the food posioning, but said it couldn't be from the food. We sent them a web site on food poisoning, but they didn't respond.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank perp44
Reviewed January 25, 2010

We surprised our two teen-agers to GWL over Christmas. We stayed Dec. 24-27. Yes- they are open on Christmas day!! Our two teen-agers loved the water park and the arcade. We stayed in the fireplace suite and loved the room and the view. We had plenty of room and amenities. Room service was great and brought extra blankets promptly. GWL is close to everything- shopping, restaurants, mall, Lake Erie, activities. We enjoyed some of the activities in that area and enjoyed the evenings in the waterpark. I disagree with TRAVELINGWBOYS when he suggested that the adult only hot tub was a wasted space and dumb. Me and my husband enjoyed it very much as our children are older and some parents want time alone with each other :) We thought GWL was very clean and organized. The air temperature was a little cool but stayed pretty warm though. We highly recommend the restaurants there. The breakfast bar is awesome!! It is all you can eat buffett that brings the food to you!! The restaurant with the yellow plane is great for a nice affordable dinner- we got a prime rib dinner which was delicious for under $15.00. We never got any rash due to that we would shower after swimming in the waterpark. We will definately go back again and highly recommend to anyone at any age :)

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed January 14, 2010

I have been to this resort 3 times with my family, and had an excellent time each visit. However, after this third visit, my wife, kids, and I were all infected with a scabies-like form of mite. What began as a a few itchy spots on my wife's wrists (10 days after visit), spread up her arms to her chest and scalp. And then they began to appear on the rest of us . . .

After going through the first round of treatments, and sterilizing our house, I called Great Wolf to let them know what happened. Their response, and I paraphrase: "Oh, we haven't heard of that happening for awhile. Would you like to speak with someone in housekeeping?"

After all the trouble, medical costs, and embarrassment this caused, as well as management's ho-hum response, we will not be going back again.

Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
5  Thank andygemini1974
cfranklingw2005, General Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to inform us about your recent stay at Great Wolf Lodge- Sandusky. I am very sorry to hear that you have experienced this. Because we work hard every day to ensure the health and safety of our guests and employees, I will tell you that your experience is not typical.

That said, we take these matters seriously. According to the CDC, this condition is normally spread from direct, prolonged, skin-to-skin contact with symptoms usually appearing two months after exposure.

While we feel it is extremely unlikely that this condition originated at our resort, I’m always open to speak personally regarding your experience. Please contact me directly and I’m happy to discuss at your convenience.

Regards,
Chris Ballou

Reviewed December 24, 2009

We travel often with our 2 youngest sons, 3 and nearly 6, and thought GWL would be super over Christmas break as a treat. I would have been impressed, perhaps at half the price. I booked with every extra disount possible and still paid $350 for a 2 night stay. The room, a "family suite w/private balcony" was small and only had 1 TV to service both sitting area and bedroom...no DVD player as they want you to pay $10 for ppv movies on their system...uhmm, no thanks. Went to Redbox next door @Meijer for $1 and watched on my laptop, as you can't even connect your own portable DVD to their TV (ha-ha!). Bathroom was ridiculous for $175 a night. Bathtub and toilet in such a small space you could nearly not shut the door and the ONLY sink is out in your room..a foot from the bed where you will disturb anybody sleeping if you use the facilities and want to wash your 'paws" before returning to bed. In room coffee was terrible, by the way, and only one 4 drawer dresser for a room which sleeps six and 4 hangers in the closet (remember, this is winter w/coats etc.) ...asked the front desk 2x for more hangers and did finally get them, although they didn't seem happy with fullfilling my request. Also, as noted by others, this hotel is right on the main strip...steak n shake in parking lot, Meijer next door, tons of traffic and our "private balcony" overlooked a strip mall!! Not a tranquil or rustic setting. The swimming area is SMALL..much smaller than I would have expected and not terribly clean, although I've seen worse. Waterpark bathrooms were pretty yucky, as noted by others. Not very much to do to entertain the kids and mine were over it quickly and kept wanting to go to the fun but very expensive arcade next door. If you go in winter, prepare to be COLD..yes COLD..the water in the park was un-pleasantly cold as was the air temperature..not 84 degrees as in the brochure. I observed many kids turning blue after a just few minutes in the baby pool and families were in an endless rotation in and out of the hot tub to try and stay modestly warm. One entire giant hot tub is reserved for adults only which is a ridiculous waste of space as we observed it empty most of the time with the family hot tub overrun with guests. No one goes to GWL w/out kids, so having an adults only area is just dumb. The water in the play fort was so cold that you couldn't even play in it and the place was extremely crowded. We all got a mild chlorine rash despite washing carfully after each swim session. The lifeguards were vigillant and attentive, but on the whole the staff was quite unfriendly and I had several occasions to overhear staff roaming the halls complaining to one another loudly about this or that ..bad manners at anytime and not my problem @ $350 a weekend!! We didn't eat in the hotel as everything seemed overwhelmingly expensive so we, as I observed many others doing, carried in or ate out. If you are looking for relaxation, I reccomend a fine state park or Inn in Indiana where you will find great prices, great cleanliness, great fun and great people..oh and some great food. If the prices at GWL are a drop in the bucket for you, then maybe it's worth it for a no-planning get away..but we won't go back to the Sandusky one again. Might try one of the others, but overall this was not as advertsied and not worth the giant price tag. Caveat Emptor!!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank TRAVELINGWBOYS
cfranklingw2005, General Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2010

I appreciate the feedback regarding your recent trip to Great Wolf Lodge. My apologies that the resort did not exceed your expectations. Our goal is to create a family environment where people of all ages find that there are activities to occupy them. Please remember that when you stay at Great Wolf, your waterpark passes are included for each registered guest. One major advantage that Great Wolf offers is that our waterparks are reserved exclusively for our guests. Not only that, but you are able to use the waterpark for 2-days worth of play for the price of a 1-night stay. From the sounds of your blog, you may be looking for a waterpark that has more options. I would encourage you to visit our larger sister property is Mason, OH or another one of our larger properties - our website is a great place to see all the amenities.

Best,

Chris Ballou

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandusky
Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark
Comfort Inn Sandusky
Comfort Inn Sandusky
#7 of 35 in Sandusky
Cedar Point's Hotel Breakers

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!