“great time” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
fremont, indiana
“great time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2006

We had a family get together of people from ages 2 to 69 staying for three nights. We just loved it. It rained the first two days we were there and this was perfect for the bad weather we had.
The staff was very friendly and helpful. The housekeeper we had told me about shopping in the area and got extra pillows and blankets we asked for right away. We even thought we lost the remote control to the kids room and they had no problems replacing it with a new one. When we ended up finding it, they were very kind to a i feel stupid mom.
The one great part about staying at this place compared to kalahari was the resteraunts close by. Steak and shake was right next door and we got breakfast for $1.99 several mornings. Their is also a Perkins right by and you can go to meijer if you forgot anything. There is also a mall across the street we walked over to to spend some time. So you need not even have to drive if you choose.
I admit the waterpark is geared more for little kids than teenagers. My teenage children had fun but not as much fun as the younger ones. The five year olds could have played all day there and they cried when we made them leave.
This was our first experince with a water park and we left with a very positive attitude. Would highly recommend staying here.

12 Thank beverlu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Mentor
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2006

Just returned from a 2 night stay here in a kid cabin suite, which fit our family of 5 just great - 3 beds for the kids in their own room with their own TV, and a king bed for us. The spacious room had a balcony, mini-fridge, and microwave and had no visible signs of wear. Yes, it's a little pricey, and if you're not going to spend the majority of your stay at the indoor waterpark, you'd probably be better off saving some money and staying elsewhere, but we went there to play and play we did. There are many activities for the kids, but all ours wanted to do was play at the waterpark, which is why we chose the Great Wolf Lodge. If I had any suggestions, it would be to keep the waterpark, or at least the giant hot tubs, open past 10:00 PM.

5 Thank bcreilly
ann arbor, MI
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2006

I took my 9year old and 11 year old over the weekend. The kids couldn't get enough of the waterpark and they had a great time there. The rooms are verymediocre for the high price, and very musty, and the bathrooms tiny. Was dissapointed with the housekeeping, the rooms are not cleaned daily and towels changed only if you are there to request and sign for it. However having said that, for the kids sake, it was worth the one time visit, not sure if we will return !!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2006

My husband and I took our daughter and her 2 friends(9,9, and 10) to the GWL for her birthday. We loved the hotel - the staff was very friendly and the hotel was excellent. Our room was very nice and clean. The kids loved the waterpark - we've been to Splash Lagoon in Erie, Pa seven times, and yes, Splash Lagoon is larger, but the kids didn't get bored here. The lifeguards were very attentive and kept order in the pools. We ate at the restaurant and were very pleased with the food. We're ready to book another stay. Especially good for younger kids - not so much for the older kids to do.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
central PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2006

The spacious room made our family of 6 happy and it was a nice way to end a long week of traveling. We only stayed one night, but with our kids ages being 16,15,13, and 10, only the 10 year old could have stayed longer.

We didn't eat any food on the premises, mostly because of the prices, but there is a large grocery store within walking distance and so we microwaved dinner and just ate all meals in. The kids had a great time at the waterpark and I thought the lifeguards were very attentive and personable.

My only complaint is that I'm fairly certainly I picked up a staph infection from perhaps the family whirlpool. I just had a small pimple on my shoulder, nothing much really, but about three days after our return I was in the emergency room getting a potent antiobiotic. I have never been so sick in my life.

We also were awakened in the middle of the night with a loud, rattling noise made from the HVAC unit in our room. I got up and turned it off, but it made our room, particularly the loft where we adults were sleeping, a bit stuffy. We might possibly stay here again, but I will probably be avoiding all whirlpools in the future.

• Stayed May 2006
3 Thank lugg6
Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2006

The food hear is terrible. The staff is extremely rude. The rooms were ok but not for the price and the waterpark had a lot of things broken overall it was terrible.

• Stayed April 2005
6 Thank pointe201
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2006

First I want to say that our kids LOVED the hotel and the waterpark. The lifeguards were attentive (we actually saw one jump in to rescue a little girl). The staff, with expection to the front desk, was polite, helpful and friendly. Now, on to the bad stuff. The web site advertises wireless internet so I planned on finishing some work while the kids played. However, the only wirless internet they have is through the TV, which is only for surfing the web, so I could not do what I had planned. When we called the front desk to inquire about the wi-fi they simply told us they did not have it and we would have to go down to the Panera Bread or Starbucks. Next was the room service. An hour after we ordered we finally called back to find out what was taking so long. They told us the young woman who took our order forgot to write down the room number. When they finally brought the food it was obvious it had been sitting for a long time. Everything was cold and dry. We basically ended up throwing $45 in the garabge.

Finally, our major issue. We forgot a movie case (with over 30 children's movies in it) on top of the TV in our room. About an hour down the road I realized I had walked out of the room and had forgot to grab it. We immediately called and asked if they would be willing to send it to us C.O.D. We were told that they could not find it in our room. We asked to speak to the manager and she offered to go through the room with the floor manager to look for it. Again, nothing! We know for a fact that we left it on the TV but it just seemed to disappear. I will leave what happend to it up to your immagination.

There are 7 indoor waterparks within 4 hours of our home. You can bet with an experience like the one we just had our family will not be returning to Great Wolf-Sandusky

• Stayed April 2006