“perfect for the 6-13 year old crowd”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Royal Oak, MI
“perfect for the 6-13 year old crowd”
Reviewed December 25, 2005

Our family with kids ages 8, 6, 3, and baby just returned from an overnight trip to this fine hotel. We checked in early around 1:00 (stated checkin is 4.) We changed in our room and headed for the pool.

First, the room is nice and clean, but not luxurious by any means. Just a standard hotel room with a bit of rustic theming. We were in the family suite, which could easily sleep 6 plus a baby in the provided travel crib. There was a small fridge and microwave in the room.

The swimming area: well, I was a bit disappointed. One of the reasons we decided on this place was that other reviews said we could ride the slides with a baby or toddler on our lap. This wasn't true. Almost all of the rides had a height restriction (except the toddler slides, one of which was too scary for my 3 year old.) All the rides said "no toddlers or infants allowed.) So, since we had both, my husband and I had to take turns sitting with them in the large family hot tub (nice temp for kids) while the other went with the older kids on the slides. So that was a disappointment to break up our family that way and have one parent missing out. The tiny toddler area was disappointing as well. Pretty boring. While the regular water was fairly warm, it wasn't warm enough to keep our younger, less active kids from shivering. Luckily there were plenty of fresh towels piled up throughout the area.

The treehouse area wasn't too enthralling for the kids either. Most of it was just preteens and other immature young adults spraying kids in the face while they tried to climb up to the slides. My 3 year old was afraid to go up so he wouldn't get sprayed in the face. I climbed up twice, and both times I was totally drenched before I reached the slides on top. Also, the big drenching bucket that tipped every few minutes looked scary and dangerous to all but the older kids.

There was a regular swimming pool area with basketball hoops, but they were always crowded, so we didn't get to use them.

The lazy river was fun, and we were glad that in this area we were allowed to have a child ride on our lap on the tube.

Our favorite slide was the one where you ride on the tube. It seemed to be everyone's favorite ride, judging from the length of the line.

The most busy time of day seemed to be afternoon between around 2-6 pm.

As part of the "Kroger" deal we got ($164/night), we also received a $20 'wolfbucks', which we used for breakfast in the morning. It was a fairly good breakfast, all you can eat, with the warm food being served family style at the table. Lots of fruit, muffins, yogurt, toast, cereal, etc.

The hotel says that after your 11 am checkout, you can stay and swim until 10 pm that day. Well, that is a bit tricky, and would require careful planning. There is no place to store your luggage after check out, so you would need to take it out to your car. Also, we couldn't see that there was any family changing area at the pool, just regular divided dressing rooms. THere were lockers for hire for $3/day, so if you wanted to stay, and planned to pack a bag or two with clothes to change into after, you could store it there and swim all day after check out (just get your locker before you check out, because it looked like you use your hotel charge card to get one). For us, after swimming so much the day before, plus that morning of checkout, we weren't too crazy about all the extra fuss to stay. I'm also glad we just stayed one night.

THis was our first experience at an indoor water park/hotel. Honestly, we both felt that we had a good time, but we would probably decide in the future that a cheap 3 star hotel off of priceline with a pool and free breakfast would cost 1/3 the price, and be almost as fun. Definitely we would not choose to come there again while any of our kids were under the age of 6 (48" height requirement and strong swimmer.)

Happy Swimming!

• Stayed December 2005
13 Thank juliekincaid

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Reviewed October 12, 2005

It was our very first family vacation. For the amount of money we spent for the weekend I was expecting a top notch room. The very first thing I noticed was the unlcleanly ice bucket. How can one miss a stain such as soda (I would imagine) at the bottom of the bucket? I decided to rinse it out myself and forget about it since it was our very first family vacation. I didn't want to spoil our trip. Then the next thing I noticed was that the microwave in our room wasn't working properly either. Odd, I thought, two things wrong for one expensive room. I decided to let that go. Maybe the waterpark itself was worth the aggravation. First off, I was surprised to find that it wasn't as big as I thought it would be. But that wasn't what was bothering me. I was really shocked at the fact that anyone who weren't using the park can walk in there with their shoes on. As a result I noticed there was a lot of dirt at the bottom of the shallower pools. When you have 3 kids under the age of 8 enjoying nothing more than being in the water, their happiness was well worth the aggravation. So their smiles made something such as the dirt not seem so trivial. I have you know it didn't end there. When it came time to use the shower in our room I was shocked (yet again!) that the drain wasn't draining out the water properly. I was taking a shower and a bath at the same time if you catch my drift? All of this for $289/kid cabin suite (or whatever it was)?? Absolutely not worth it.

For that price you can drive up/down the road to another nicer and newer waterpark (The Kalahari Resort) who's rates are much cheaper than that of the Great Wolf Lodge. Plus they have so much more to offer inside (unlike having to drive around town looking for something to do)! They have a much larger game room (imagine an entire floor!), a wave pool, larger pools with more slides, a horse and carriage ride waiting for you at the main entrance...and so much more. Had it not been our last night's stay at the Wolf we would have canceled and stayed at the Kalahari. You bet we will be trying that place versus the Great Wolf Lodge the next time we're in town.

Never mind the inconvenience of having to constantly go to the front desk for new cards (keys) because they kept getting demagnatized (supposidly). Never mind not having an agenda for the guests about upcoming events that they hold in their own parking lot. We learned this from the hotel clerk during our many visits to replace our key.

Because I failed to mention these mishaps upfront to the manager only instead to the front desk clerk as we were leaving, the only compensation I received was an apology and $25 off the entire stay. Big whoop if you asked me for the amount of money that went out for our entire stay.

Hope this helps. Good luck!!

• Stayed October 2005
34 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 2, 2005

After reviewing some of the reviews, I became a little skeptical of staying in this establishment. Some reviews were GREAT as others were just as horrific. My family and I have yet to stay, although I am 10 minutes away from making the reservations. To make my decision about such a PRICEY hotel, I called the 1-888 number provided on their website, I needed some reassurement to say the least. Hotel staff was very helpful, honest and even gave our family a discount on an already discounted room rate, bringing a $299.00 KidCabin® Suite down to $149.00 with an extra percentage off as well. We have yet to stay, but I like it so far :)
Call Courtney at the 1-888 #, she was AWESOME!
Matter of fact, I have spoken to Paula. Courtney and Judy, they were all awesome, if our experience is as easy going as these ladies, we may have found our home away from home :)
PS
We will be staying at the Sandusky, Ohio Resort.

• Stayed October 2005
23 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 6, 2005

We arrived at the hotel eariler and checked in, our room wasn't ready but I didn't expect it would be at noon so we headed to Cedar Point for the day and returned later to get our room. The desk staff was very friendly and I actually felt welcome. We had the kids cabin room which was great for our young ones 3 and 7. The best part of the hotel is its central location on Milan Rd. There is lots of shopping and a great selection of restaurants. We tryed the room service and the food was good and the service very quick even at 11 pm at nite. The water park kept our kids busy and I even had a good time. I would return again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed August 2005
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 29, 2005

We loved the Great Wolf Lodge! It's a great place to stay with lots of things to do. Our family went there and had a great time though the water park is more for kids 12 and under. In the water park there is rock climbing, a hot tub for grown ups and one for kids, a little kids area, a fort, a lazy river, water slides, a pool with basket ball nets in it and also there is a outdoor pool. Our family had an great time using all of the facilities. There is a arcade where the kids spent most of there time. We got a kids cabin suite which was really cool (according to the kids). The staff is really nice when you're in the hall and they always say hi.

P.S the rooms are really clean.

• Stayed August 2005
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 13, 2005

We had a great time at Great Wolf Lodge. The kids (8 and 5) really enjoyed the waterpark. The rooms were very nice. The "kids cabin" (with bunk beds) was a big hit. We ate at both restaurants. They were great and very kid friendly!

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 1, 2005

My son, mother, I just stayed at the Great Wolf in Sandusky Ohio. Other then being a little over priced it was a great time. We had originally had reservations at Castaway Bay but after reading so many horrible reviews I changed to Great Wolf. Granted we did not get all the incentives for Cedar Point but in the end we actually saved money, about $200. There are two restaurants in the lodge however only one is open for breakfast and it is family style. It is a lot of food, but good. The other restaurant is also good but over priced. There are a ton of restaurants on the “strip” so it really is not a big deal. We got a kid suite room which was perfect for my son, he had his own TV and a Nintendo game system. However the games start at $6.95 an hour. The room over looked the outdoor pool which is pretty big but only 4 feet deep. The indoor water park is not as big as they portray but a good size for kids to have hours of fun in. Also, there is a snack shop in the water park but all the way in the back and you do not stay dry on your way there or back. And I am not sure how sanitary that is, all that food coming back and forth. The only bad thing about the water park is that the water is supposed to be heated but it wasn’t above 65 degrees the whole time. It gets cold very quickly. The reservation people on the phone and at the lodge are very knowledgeable and nice. This is a great place to bring the family together.

And I also recommend Splash Lagoon in Erie PA! Its along the same lines but much cheaper.

• Stayed July 2005
14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandusky
Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark
#10 of 17 in Port Clinton
Best Western Plus Sandusky Hotel & Suites
Cedar Point's Express Hotel
Cedar Point's Hotel Breakers

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!