“good for 8-10 yr olds, well supervised water park, but expensive”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Chicago, Illinois
“good for 8-10 yr olds, well supervised water park, but expensive”
Reviewed August 9, 2009

unfortunately due to the small size of the park it loses charm after a couple hours, and if the hotel is full then it can get really full. try to stay during the week.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank braneout

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 7, 2009

We have stayed at the Great Wolf Lodge in the Wisconsin Dells and always liked it. We stayed here with another family while visiting Cedar Point. It was pretty disappointing. The rooms are big and spacious, but very worn and in serious need of updating - especially the carpet, which was dirty, becoming threadbare and pulling up. The mattresses were lumpy and uncomfortable, perhaps the result of too many kids jumping on them over too many years. The rooms have nice spacious balconies - but they were overrun with pigeons and their droppings and cobwebs - in need of a powerwashing! The water park is OK but average, as is the restaurant. I have stayed at Hampton Inns and Holiday Inn Express hotels where the rooms have been fresher and better kept. The other family we were traveling with felt the same way. We would not go back, especially considering the high expense of the room.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
ohio
Reviewed August 6, 2009

i luv it and its totally worth the money!the 1st time i stayed there was with my mom grandma,aunt and her boyfriend and my cousin!it was so much fun!the 2nd time was with my youth group at church and that was so fun!i had a great time!i recomend it to anyone staying in the area!kalahari seems nice but way over priced almost twice the amount of a one night stay at great wolf! im also thinking of going therer for my birthday with a friend and mom and step dad!its so much fun! i think the whole foresty theme is so cute!

• Stayed January 2009
cfranklingw2005, General Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, August 7, 2009
Thank you for being such a loyal guest at our resort. Great Wolf offers are variety of amenities that are suitable for any age. There is nothing more enjoyable, in my personal experience than watching a family spend some quality time together in our waterpark. We hope you do come back very soon... with all members of your family!

Best,

Matt Lawrence
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed August 3, 2009

Took the family (wife, 4-yo, 8-yo) for an overnight get-away from Cleveland. The place was great - stayed in a room with bunk-bed cabin, which the kids loved. Overall, the whole place was very clean, although trash from a previous guest was left under the bunk bed. The room was quite updated and intact, although both bottom dresser drawers would fall on your toes when pulled out. The waterpark was fabulous. Not the largest around (Kalahari's is larger), but plenty big enough for us. The water temp was very good (my 8-yo is picky regarding that). The Lifeguards were extremely attentive and let nothing slip past their watchful eyes. On the water slides, the "top" lifeguard notified the "bottom" lifeguard with hand signals each time my 4-yo went down, so he could be helped out of the pool at the bottom. Top-notch attentiveness. A tad expensive for what you get ($300 total for the night, which includes waterpark).

indiana
Reviewed August 1, 2009

We stayed here because it was suppose to rain on Wed. of our trip. But it did not. We went to Cedar Point both days of our stay. So we didn't use this place alot. They could put new carpet in the rooms or at least stretch the carpet that is already in the rooms. And the air conditioner, well its so loud when it comes on that you have to turn the TV up and then it wakes up everyone else in the room. We did get a discount that was a plus I guess. But still at 158.00 a night well since we did not use the resort only to sleep it still was not worth the money. There was a bug in the tub. Also parents let their kids run through the hotel. And the bathrooms. Well we had one teenager and one child. The bathrooms are not big enough to get ready in. And you don't want to go out in the room to get ready in front of everyone. I think for the money you don't get too much other than the indoor water park. That was pretty cool.

Pittsburgh
Reviewed July 29, 2009

We decided on this place because my in-laws stayed at a Great Wolf in WI and said it was fantastic there. As soon as we walked in my father-in-law pointed out that it was nothing like the one in WI. We stayed 2 nights.
1. My Children are 4, 7, 11. My 4 and 7 year olds were very happy with the water park, My 11 yr old was bored by day 2. My brother-in-laws kids are 14 & 11 they were bored by the end of the first day.
2. Because of the age differences of my children, my husband and I will split up the kids. One of us takes our 4 yr old off to bed about 8:30 while the other will take the other 2 off to do something else for a while.
Since the water parks close at 9:00 some parents just take their kids back to the room for the night. It sounded like Elephant racing was going on in the room above us, it was obvious that someone was allowing their children to jump from the top of one of the bunkbeds in the den or cabin rooms until well past mid-night.
It would be helpful if at check-in the management remind parents that there are young guests in the hotel and that hotel policy is that the hotel lights in the hallway dim at 9:00 and that means it is quiet time throughout the hotel hallways. (Instead of the parent who thought that because the pool was closed it was time to play soccer in the hallway with his kids).
3. I agree with the other reviewer about the air-conditioner the room was down right cold, when it kicked on everyone in the room woke up, and it blew directly on the beds. Not a very comfortable nights sleep.
4. I was highly disappointed by the cleaning staff. I made coffee in my room the first morning, when I came back that afternoon my dirty coffee mug was still on the table and they didn't leave me any coffee for the next morning.
5. There are no signs up reminding parents with small children to use "Little Swimmer" diapers (even though you have to be a moron not to). On the second day the pool and one of the hot tubs had to be closed for a few hours while they cleaned and shocked them because of human feces.
6. Our first afternoon there we didn't want to change out of our swimsuits and leave the hotel for a late lunch (we weren't all that hungry) we ordered 2 pizzas, an order of wings, and an order of nachos to share between 10 of us, I was floored when the bill was $75. Needless to say we dressed and left the hotel for every meal after that one.
We will not be visiting this place again.

A2
Reviewed July 25, 2009

I don't know, maybe I am cheap. For the past 4 or so years my family (my husband, 3 boys and dog) have camped in our travel trailer. We decided to forgo a birthday party for our 8 yr old and come here. I have to say, with the state of the economy, I am not sure how GWL is getting hard-working Americans to pay the ridiculously outrageous prices. So for a small fortune, $550 for 2 nights with breakfast, lunch and dinner inc in both nights. Now the meal plan, we felt was a good deal. The breakfast was all you can eat, now if we wouldn't have purchased the meal plan, we would not have spent the $54 for the 5 of us to eat (and that was with the 2 yr old being FREE) Lunch was only small pizzas for everyone and 5 small drinks soda or tea (NO JUICE OR ALCOHOL OR SPECIALITY DRINKS INC) the pizza wasnt bad tho, dinner was good actually you had a good choice for the kids which included carrots and ranch or unsweetened applesauce, the main entree and drink (again milk or soda, no juice or special drink or alcohol) BUT for the adult meal you could get any entree so my husband and I got the ribs, steak, and fajitas all were good. Again if we hadnt purchased these meal plans there is no way we would spend the cash and eat there at all way too expensive. Also with the meal plan TAX and TIP were INCLUDED so that was WAY NICE!!!! GWL is adjacent to Meijers and Steak and Shake and on the strip of many fast food places so food wasnt out of reach.

Now for why I think GWL is NOT worth my $550 and why I will not be back at all!!! We went with our 3 kids 12.5, 8 and 2.5. GWL is perfect for the younger 2 boys. My oldest gave it a 6 out of 10, so not bad. The place isnt huge at all. There is 1 place for the zero-depth area and thats it. There is one lazy river, one pool that is 3.5-4ft deep with basketball hoops, a jungle gym type play structure water thingy with a big bucket that fills with water and once full it rings a bell, and dumps water and starts over again, there is a more heated water area called Manitoba Tub for kids and right on the other side is the Adult hot tub, Along the top of the play structure are 2 slides that do not go into water and do not need a tube to go down, you just lie on your back. There are 2 slides at the end of the park where you need a tube, you can go down alone, or use a double tube, it lets you into 3.5 feet of water but quickly puts you to the stairs to get out. There are 2 smaller slides for the bigger toddlerish kids that lets them into 1 ft of water. There is also an area of where you can hold onto netting above you and hop on some lillypad looking things in the water. There are life guards everywhere, and they have life jackets for you to use as well. They also provide towels in the park area. I didnt go outside to see what the pool looked like there.

The Arcade is directly behind or in front of the park (depending on how you look at it). The arcade is absolutely without a doubt ridicously expensive. Of course it takes tokens. The only deal you get is spend $20 and you get 92 tokens in stead of 80, wow big deal eh? Most of the stupid lame rides are minimum of 2 tokens with most 3 - 4 to ride. Of course you get tickets to "buy" stuff. There are 1 token machines for you to get tickets, again a joke. We (again a lesson learned on our part and i am hoping to impart my stupidity onto you by NOT going, as once you are there it is very hard to so no to your child) had 831 tickets and this is what we got----- 2 GWL blow up bats, 1 GWL wolf (size of a beanie baby, and this was 250 tix, the bats were 150 each) a cheap quad ATV (200 tix) a ring pop (60 tix) and 2 pencils (20 tix total) all of this cost me >$40, yea I know crazy.

Now for the room, we got the CHEAPEST SMALLEST no frills room, on the ground level. If you wanted to play a game it was extra on their TV, Yea right WHO WOULD DO that???
They also charge you $5 a day for "resort" fee, whatever that is probably something they advertise for "free" ya know. I think for the price they charge for rooms, food, etc and to charge for in room movies, games, upgrades, I mean if you have a better room available for someone, what better business than to offer it for free, you will get better business that way that by ME posting THIS and telling all my friends, family and coworkers of how to NOT SPEND their hard earned money. I have been to many places, Disney, Sea World, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Niagara Falls, Washington DC, Virginia, Penn, etc we travel on vacation every year, so the moral of my story is I am not sure why I changed a good thing of camping with my family, spending quailty time with your family, at nice famiy campgrounds (and trust me there are many that have waterparks in them) at a fraction of the cost of what GWL cost me, and we were able to get so much more out of it that what we got at GWL. Did we have a good time, yes. Was it worth my hard earned money? Absolutely NOT!! Knowing what I know now would I have gone elsewhere? YES, where might you ask, for half the price CEDAR POINT and way more fun, Hell we paid that amount ($550) last year camping at Cedar Point thurs-sun, admission for 4 to CP and Soak City and food and had a much better time, definately money better spent. Live and Learn!!! I hope someone finds this review helpful. As for me, I will stay with what I am used to and that is my 32 foot travel trailer!!!

1 Thank AnnArborMom23boyz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandusky
Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark
Comfort Inn Sandusky
Comfort Inn Sandusky
#7 of 35 in Sandusky
Cedar Point's Hotel Breakers

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!