“Excellent Room”

Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
“Excellent Room”
Reviewed August 14, 2014

We stayed at this hotel during the water main break. Though it is around 20 minutes from cedar point I would consider staying again. Additionally, the hotel was clean and the bathroom was large.
It was a little noisey because of the kids and additionally it is a large resort so you have to walk alot.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
MI248
Reviewed August 14, 2014

This was my third GWL location I have visited and it is a shame. Very dirty!

The water park was no exception as it was dirty and un-kept. Even my kids who could care less about anything once they see water, said "Daddy, why is there so much trash here?" There was a surgical glove on the building roof near the kiddie slides- gross! In the fort area, there was a spot that we saw a banana peel, a plastic cup, some ribbon, etc... that no one picked up for the three days we were there.

The hot tubs always had trash around them. At one point, we were sitting at a table in the park and we got attacked by ants- They bit our feet! I let a lifeguard know about it, and we watched all day- no one did anything! We also witnessed homeless people coming into the park to "get clean". twice!. What they do, is use the side door to the water park and knock until a guest lets them in. Then they put all their stuff on a table, get changed and jump in the water. Then they grab their stuff and run right out the lobby door! Like I said, I saw this happen twice!

Also, there seems to be two classes of people operating the water park, the ride operators, who are rude and do not care about their jobs (or the annoying guests that ruin their day by ridding the slides) and the lifeguards who I can say did seem to care were attentive.

Our room was dirty. We found candy wrappers under the bunk beds and half eaten fruit snack. Good thing I saw it because my one year old was about to eat it. The fridge had a broken bar on it and so we could store items on the shelf. The bathroom was nasty and had hair and dirt in all the corners! The tub had a big hole in it on the side. We had issues with housekeeping (go figure) as they only made one out of the four beds in the room. They did not vacuum, empty the trash or give us any TP (as we where out).We let the front desk know about this and the girl handed me a roll of TP and said someone would be right there as they may have just missed the room. We left the hotel and came back four hours later. They made three of the four beds this time and emptied the trash. No vacuum and no TP. I then spoke to the front desk manager and he showed a great deal of concern and gave us a breakfast voucher the next day (the only reason for the two stars and not a one).

I will say the restaurants were not too bad, but to great either. They seemed to lack the same attention to cleaning as the rest of the hotel.

Bottom line, there are WAY better properties to spend $100+ per night at! We will never go back and you shouldn't either. I left a review with the e-mail GWL sends you after your stay with the exact comments and checked the box for someone to contact me. No one called!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Mi248
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Thank you for providing us with such detailed feedback from your recent stay at Great Wolf Lodge – Sandusky! I am incredibly disappointed to learn about the experience you had and our Management team on-site would like to follow-up further.

If you can contact us directly at guestrelations@greatwolf.com, I would be happy to facilitate a discussion for you!

Thank you for choosing Great Wolf.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

I understand that most people come for the water features, which are nice, but the accompanying accommodations leave much to be desired. The rooms are dated, worn, and lack the cleanliness I would expect from a $200 per night "resort." Of note, the 1980's clock-radio in our room had about an inch of dust caked on. There were small signs of mold in the bathroom, and food left under the bed. The walls were worn and in need of paint. The patio was also disgusting featuring spider webs, bird poop, and all kinds of other outdoor treats.

Another annoyance was the fact that our room keys didn't work. I had to have them replaced multiple times at the front desk, and they still didn't work on the first (or second) attempt most times.

And, while I realize this is a kid-friendly hotel, the walls and floors are paper thin. You can hear all of the conversations in the hall and the people above you (walking around their room; or, in our case running).

Personally, I was disappointed with Great Wolf and don't think I'll be back.

• Stayed August 2014
Kyle,

Thank you for staying at Great Wolf Lodge – Sandusky and providing us with the feedback about your suite. I am saddened to learn of the difficulties you had and I want you to know this is not customary for us. If you ever have issues like this, please let us know immediately so that we can try and provide as timely a resolution as possible. We want to make sure that our guests feel at home while they stay with us, and we can only fix a problem when it is brought to our attention.

We understand that guests can sometimes have issues using their card keys. Veteran guests recommend that the keys be left in the Lodge Life pamphlet they are given in until you reach your room so that the integrity of the magnetic strip stays intact. If the keys are placed in the same pocket as a cell phone or other electronic devices, they can potentially deactivate the card, causing our guests an unnecessary inconvenience.

I hope you find this information useful and that you will choose to stay with us again soon!

Elkhart, Indiana
Reviewed August 12, 2014

My son and daughter asked for a Cedar Point and Water Park trip. They loved this hotel but as adults we noticed many things that needed cleaning. The walls in our room were dirty with different colored stains. The pool had to be emptied twice for them to circulate the water because a lifeguard with plastic gloves and a bio hazard bag said everyone had to exit the pool. YUCK. I realize this is not the hotels fault but it was not a happy experience for us that knew what was going on. The staff was so friendly and helped me with anything I needed.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Kjmbdm
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Thank you for visiting Great Wolf Lodge – Sandusky and sharing your experience with us! If you ever see issues in your room like the ones you described, please let us know immediately so we can work on providing a resolution in a timely manner.

While it is unfortunate that a child had an accident in the pool, I am glad our Aquatics team followed all of the necessary protocols in place to ensure the safest environment possible for our guests.

We hope to host your family again soon!

Winnetka, Illinois
Reviewed August 11, 2014

We recently stayed at Great Wolf. It was our second time at a GW property and were disappointed. The hallways were dirty. A fruit snack stayed on the elevator floor during our 2 day stay. I watched the cleaning staff use the elevator and they never bothered to pick it up. I finally did on our way out.The room wasn't cleaned until I called at 5 pm. The front desk would not pick up the phone even though they weren't busy. The front desk staff was unfriendly. The room wasn't cheap. There have to be better places to stay near Cedar Point.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for staying again with us at Great Wolf Lodge – Sandusky! We sincerely appreciate the feedback from your trip and I am sorry to hear we did not meet the expectations set by your last stay. What you observed is not normal for us and I hope you will stay with us again soon!

Wauconda
Reviewed August 11, 2014 via mobile

The Great Wolf Lodge in Sandusky is a very nice, kid-friendly place to stay. I definitely recommend the MagiQuest adventure that they offer. MagiQuest is a whole adventure parents can do with their kids. NOTE: make sure you have 3 1/2 - 4 hours before leaving the resort because it is pretty time consuming. All in all a very nice place to stay.

Stayed July 2014
Davenport, Iowa
Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

Loved this place kids had so much fun with magiquest. Employees were so great and nice i really enjoyed my stay. Only one issue i loved the loft bedroom but it gets really hot and stuffy maybe an extra fan?

• Stayed August 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandusky
Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark
#10 of 17 in Port Clinton
Best Western Plus Sandusky Hotel & Suites
Cedar Point's Express Hotel
Cedar Point's Hotel Breakers

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!