“Pleasantly surprised, even for a spring break weekend!”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed April 6, 2014

My daughter received an offer to attend an alumni weekend at Great Wolf Lodge, and asked mom and dad to tag along. I was hesitant after reading some of the reviews, but my fears were eased after our arrival. Check in was easy, and even though there were no upgrades available due to being sold out for the weekend, the front desk was able to give us a room on the 4th floor when asked. We had a family suite, and it was quite roomy, and clean. There were two queen beds, which were comfy for for sleeping, although the sheets/covers seemed barely adequate for a late winter stay. There was only a thin coverlet sandwiched between the sheets, and no bedspread or duvet cover. The sheets felt "short" and I was forced to move towards the foot of the bed to get decent coverage with the covers and I never felt warm enough with the sheets/covers on the bed. There is a microwave and a dorm size fridge in the room, but it did not have a freezer compartment. That being said, almost everything we put in our particular fridge got very cold, and the beverages were even slushy. There were no visible controls on the fridge to try and remedy this, so we ended up moving a lot of our items into a hard side cooler to keep the drinks from spilling over after opening by being too cold. Overall, we found the room large enough for our party (3 adults 1 child, age 6), and like most others have mentioned, the bathroom is on the small side, but very functional.

The waterpark was initially a bit overwhelming for our 6 year old grandson, but he soon discovered all that it had to offer, and he had a blast! When we had our "down time", he kept begging to go back to the waterpark, and hated leaving when it was time to go. We tried most of the different slides, and attractions, and found that overall, the lifeguard/staff does a great job in being attentive, and ensuring guests have a fun, safe time. The only niggle we discovered was on our trips in the "lazy river", many kids and adults, were using it to race around the loop, without using the rafts, which took away from the intended "lazy" affect we were going after. Definitely not relaxing, but it was still OK.

We had dinner in the Gitchygoomie Grill, and had a wonderful meal, and the service was outstanding. We discovered the next day, that the Coors Light on tap, we had the night before, was not Coors Light, according the to head bartender who served us the next day. He insisted, that they have not had Coors Light on tap for several weeks. Hmmmm....not sure what we had in those tall mugs...but again, it was OK. Just not what we ordered. Not the end of the world.

My daughter purchased the pup pass for our grandson, and we found this to be a great value. He received his choice of their version of a build a bear type stuffed animal, wolf ears, ice cream, points for the arcade, and a color your own t-shirt or pillowcase. He loved all his goodies.

We visited the arcade, and found it quite entertaining. There was even one game, where we all could play at the same time, by throwing balls at the screen to score points. With 5 of us throwing, we racked up some good points (and tickets!) And speaking of tickets, keep your eyes open for tickets that are left behind in the machines, or dropped on the floor. We found a bunch like this. One of the attendants, even let my Grandson have a free play on one of the claw machine games, which he loved, even though he didn't win. (does anyone ever win?)

All in all, it was a great trip. When I asked my grandson what he liked better, Great Wolf Lodge or Disney (which we did less than a year ago), he replied Great Wolf! lol. Of course, children are much more "in the moment" than adults are, and I know he had a great time, but not sure that Disney should be worried. We just got home a few hours ago, and he is already conked out for the night, before 6:30 p.m.! Back to reality tomorrow.....

Room Tip: Ask for the 4th floor, where all the ceilings are vaulted. While the rooms are not bigger, they fee...
There are newer reviews for Great Wolf Lodge

Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

We arrived yesterday with my 7and 4 year old and are having a blast! The check in process was awful, 45 minutes of standing in line after 3 hours in the car was not ideal BUT they had hoola hoops in the lobby and enough theming to keep the kids occupied. Checked in at3pm and went to the water park. Ive heard its smaller than others but it is perfect for younger kids. It was busy but slide lines moved fast and when we got hungry there is a Meijer practically in the parking lot so we walked over there to get dinner. Overall its been so so much fun, everything was clean and staff is very friendly.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank angfain127
Reviewed April 5, 2014

We have small children, ages 7 and 2. We stayed for 2 nights (Thurs - Sat) at this park because we knew it was good for smaller children. We have stayed at other parks in Sandusky so relied on our experience to make our decision.

When we booked online we requested an upgrade, which was received and appreciated at check-in. The waterpark was nice even if it was a bit crowded - it didn't matter much. Both of my children were able to experience water slides, etc. Water warm and overall pleasant experience inside the waterpark. The seating area was a bit dirty.

Read below for comments on the other amenities, but if you are staying into SATURDAY and SUNDAY please know they RAISE PRICES inside the gift shop. Purchase on Thursday or during the week. I was really disappointed in this!!!!

We gave our 7yo a limit on what he could buy. However, since we waited until the end of the trip, his $ wouldn't go as far. Really Great Wolf, 30% more for gemstone/rocks from one day to the next??? Sick. And the reason behind this being our last stay. It might have only been a matter of a few dollars but its the fact that you gouged me because I simply waited to purchase on the day of checkout. When I asked the checkout girl, "Did you just raise the prices today"... she blushed and said Yes. Again its the principal of it all. Its not like they were in hot demand.

The rest of the details... please note the comment about eating Local/off property!

Dinner night #1 was at the GW Grill. 80$ for a family of 4 with 2 LO. Go off property and save $$. This was way too much for dinner. However, if you must the food was good and the waitress was very nice.
Dinner night #2 EAT AT MATT AND CHETS PIZZA nearby. Less than .5 mile and it was family friendly and delicious. Staff was amazing as well.

Arcade is a money trap but nothing you can do about that.

Cub club isn't much for free, don't bother unless you are ok spending $ on potter painting, etc.

We did not do magic quest.

Room was clean, but bathroom was tiny even in the king suite.

TVs are ridiculously small and they have very limited kids TV if you are stuck in the room.

Room Tip: Request an upgrade when you reserve online. You'll most likely get it and pay less than the rat...
2  Thank Mpersh
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Thank you for visiting Great Wolf Lodge – Sandusky! The price increase occurred across the entire brand, so it was not done just at this location during your stay. This could have been communicated better to members of our retail team and for that, I apologize for any inconvenience this caused you.

I hope you will return to stay with us again in the future.

Jason
Great Wolf Guest Relations

Reviewed April 3, 2014

This great wolf lodge is much smaller than the one closer to us in Mason, but Mason is double the price which we do not like at all, so we prefer to come to Sandusky. Sandusky is also less crowded for the most part. We went for a couple days over my daughter's spring break. My kids had a great time. We had the breakfast which we enjoy... its a bit expensive, but we like to do it one time... its pretty good food! We did not do the Magi quest or arcade this time, but have done it before and they are fun for the kids. Our only complaint is that the room was a bit dirty... there was trashed shoved around the sides of the kids beds in their wolf den and my daughter's sheets had some nasty stuff all over them and we had to ask for new sheets. The beds were VERY comfortable, though! We all slept very good! Overall, we always enjoy great wolf lodge and even though this one is a lot smaller than Mason and the Dells ones we have been to, the price is way better and we have always had great service and a great time! I agree with others in that this one is better for little kids.

Reviewed April 2, 2014 via mobile

My children and I have never stayed at an indoor water park before. So, for their spring break this year, I surprised them. I called and booked a kids cabin for two nights. During the reservation process, the gentleman told me that I would have to pay for the first night over the phone, not a problem; and that would reserve the room and if something came up, they would refund my entire stay. They charged me $387.24, again, not a problem. When we arrived at the hotel, they charged my card a second time for the second night $387.24, not a problem.
We got to the room, which was awesome and my kids got their bathing suits on and we headed to the pool after being there for about 45 minutes. We got to the pool and found that my kids were the oldest ones there at the time. There was no place to sit because of the number of people there and all the pools and slides were aimed toward younger children. My kids told me that they wanted to go somewhere else. We then went back to the room and got dressed. Drove to another indoor water park, checked out the room and water park area before making any decisions. My kids were ecstatic, it was more age appropriate for my children so we booked two nights. Drove back to the Great Wolf Lodge and explained to them the issue. They said they gave me a full refund....they really didn't!! They refunded one night only. They girl at the desk assured me that I'd have a full refund in 3 to 5 days!
A week after being home, I still had a charge of $387.24 so I called and talked with the manager on duty. She said they could not refund the first night because we were checked in for two hours. I then explained to her what we did. We didn't sleep in the beds, we didn't take showers, we didn't use the water park or anything! So I was charged a full night stay for two hours on the property! That's just not how you do business!!

Stayed: March 2014
5  Thank Janicedupree
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2014

Thank you for visiting Great Wolf Lodge – Sandusky! I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you and if you have yet to hear back from our team in Sandusky when you see this, please contact me directly at guestrelations@greatwolf.com. I will be happy to facilitate a discussion for you!

Jason
Great Wolf Guest Relations

Reviewed March 26, 2014

Visited this March Break.............somewhat disappointed with the size of the water-park and facilities. I think Splash Lagoon at Erie, PA has more space and slides with a small wave pool. However, rooms are good and large, overall a beautiful structure. But obviously it is for small kids, not for teenagers. They won't find the water park and other activities very attractive.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Weekend getaway with friends, we have a 2 year old and they have a 2 year old and 5 year old. Kids had a great time! waterpark was just enough for them. Arcade is overpriced and prizes are very cheap, but out little ones didnt really get into that. Breakfast was expensive, food was average but restaurant was very small and it was a mess! Would stay there again, just wouldnt eat there.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Jillhoersten
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandusky
Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark
Comfort Inn Sandusky
Comfort Inn Sandusky
#7 of 35 in Sandusky
Cedar Point's Hotel Breakers

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!