“Small, but kids had a great time!”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #6 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed April 3, 2014

This great wolf lodge is much smaller than the one closer to us in Mason, but Mason is double the price which we do not like at all, so we prefer to come to Sandusky. Sandusky is also less crowded for the most part. We went for a couple days over my daughter's spring break. My kids had a great time. We had the breakfast which we enjoy... its a bit expensive, but we like to do it one time... its pretty good food! We did not do the Magi quest or arcade this time, but have done it before and they are fun for the kids. Our only complaint is that the room was a bit dirty... there was trashed shoved around the sides of the kids beds in their wolf den and my daughter's sheets had some nasty stuff all over them and we had to ask for new sheets. The beds were VERY comfortable, though! We all slept very good! Overall, we always enjoy great wolf lodge and even though this one is a lot smaller than Mason and the Dells ones we have been to, the price is way better and we have always had great service and a great time! I agree with others in that this one is better for little kids.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,832)

Reviewed April 2, 2014 via mobile

My children and I have never stayed at an indoor water park before. So, for their spring break this year, I surprised them. I called and booked a kids cabin for two nights. During the reservation process, the gentleman told me that I would have to pay for the first night over the phone, not a problem; and that would reserve the room and if something came up, they would refund my entire stay. They charged me $387.24, again, not a problem. When we arrived at the hotel, they charged my card a second time for the second night $387.24, not a problem.
We got to the room, which was awesome and my kids got their bathing suits on and we headed to the pool after being there for about 45 minutes. We got to the pool and found that my kids were the oldest ones there at the time. There was no place to sit because of the number of people there and all the pools and slides were aimed toward younger children. My kids told me that they wanted to go somewhere else. We then went back to the room and got dressed. Drove to another indoor water park, checked out the room and water park area before making any decisions. My kids were ecstatic, it was more age appropriate for my children so we booked two nights. Drove back to the Great Wolf Lodge and explained to them the issue. They said they gave me a full refund....they really didn't!! They refunded one night only. They girl at the desk assured me that I'd have a full refund in 3 to 5 days!
A week after being home, I still had a charge of $387.24 so I called and talked with the manager on duty. She said they could not refund the first night because we were checked in for two hours. I then explained to her what we did. We didn't sleep in the beds, we didn't take showers, we didn't use the water park or anything! So I was charged a full night stay for two hours on the property! That's just not how you do business!!

Stayed: March 2014
5  Thank Janicedupree
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2014

Thank you for visiting Great Wolf Lodge – Sandusky! I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you and if you have yet to hear back from our team in Sandusky when you see this, please contact me directly at guestrelations@greatwolf.com. I will be happy to facilitate a discussion for you!

Jason
Great Wolf Guest Relations

Reviewed March 26, 2014

Visited this March Break.............somewhat disappointed with the size of the water-park and facilities. I think Splash Lagoon at Erie, PA has more space and slides with a small wave pool. However, rooms are good and large, overall a beautiful structure. But obviously it is for small kids, not for teenagers. They won't find the water park and other activities very attractive.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

Weekend getaway with friends, we have a 2 year old and they have a 2 year old and 5 year old. Kids had a great time! waterpark was just enough for them. Arcade is overpriced and prizes are very cheap, but out little ones didnt really get into that. Breakfast was expensive, food was average but restaurant was very small and it was a mess! Would stay there again, just wouldnt eat there.

2  Thank Jillhoersten
Reviewed March 22, 2014

I spent a night at the Great Wolf, Sandusky during the March break with my family (2 adult and 2 kids).
Considering I had spent 2 previous nights at the Castaway Bay in sandusky as well with a very nice experience, i was looking forward to Great wolf as it was more Hyped and expensive.

The lobby was nice, the check in lady was very nice and check in was fast...that was where the good stuff ended.

We got a room that has the Tiniest washroom ever, and the wash-hand basin was located right by the microwave. (so use the washroom, bring the germs out to wash your hands right in front of your bed(s).

We rested abit and headed out to the arcade...no big deal. Castaway game arcade was better.
The WATER PARK! There was no one at the entrance or any form of security to check who was coming in...so anyone could walk confidently through the lobby and find there way into the park. Go figure what that means for security in a place filled with kids!
The towel shelf looked like someone just went through all the towels and forgot to arrange them back.
Life jackets for the kids were all in a wet mess on the shelves and around the floor.

The ambiance was dark (Not well lighted) and the floor looked dirty (Could be the color but it 'looked' dirty) and the VERY strong smell of chlorine or whatever water treatment was used was nauseating. I had to remove my kids from the environment immediately and we never left the room again until we checked out the next day.

I wont be coming back here for sure.

3  Thank olorire
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Thank you for visiting Great Wolf Lodge – Sandusky and for sharing your experience! We appreciate all feedback we receive from our guests, both positive and negative and use it as an opportunity to improve.

I am sorry you were unable to enjoy your stay and visits to the waterpark, and we understand that some guests are more sensitive than others to chlorine. We actively monitor the chlorination of the waterpark to ensure it remains within safe levels and when adjustments are needed, they are done in real-time.

If members of your family are overly sensitive to chlorine, it is recommended to visit the waterpark in 2 hour increments and either shower off in the waterpark or take a short break in the room.

I hope this information helps and that you will give Great Wolf Lodge another try soon!

Jason
Great Wolf Guest Relations

Reviewed March 20, 2014

We took our three year old to GWL last weekend. We had a fantastic time. However, I'm convinced that knowing their target audience and planning is essential.

First, it's good for a couple of days, but more than that would be too much. We went from Friday afternoon to Sunday afternoon. We didn't do the arcade, the kiddie spa or the "magiquest," but those are extra-money items that we really weren't interested to try. We really feel like we did maximize the experience though, doing the storytime & show in the evening, hitting the waterpark all 3 days, carrying out GWL pizza and trying the onsite restaurant, Gitchiegoomie Grill. The pizza was good and I had the best French onion soup at the on-site restaurant. There is a breakfast-only restaurant on site also, which we didn't try. We also ate at the Klondike located in the waterpark, it was pretty basic. Concession stand type food. My son loved the "yard" of slushie. Otherwise, we loaded up the mini-fridge for breakfast and lunch which helped maximize time and cut down on costs. Also, I hate paying for drinks on vacation, so we kept lots in the fridge! Other planning tips: Take one beach towel each b/c their towels are tiny and plan to take drinks and snacks to the waterpark. I read it's against the rules, but everyone seemed to have drinks and snacks poolside.

As far as target audience, my son fit the demographic. I definitely left with the impression that GWL is for little kids. He was able to do every waterslide, at 39 inches tall. However, the raft waterslide had to be done in tandem with an adult and for two of the slides, I had to be waiting in the water at the bottom to make sure he got out ok. Otherwise, he could do every slide by himself. The tower, topped with a giant bucket of water that showers down periodically, was a hit. The tower had lots of nooks and crannies where kids could play. For the waterpark, in my opinion, the target age group is 2-8. Much older than that, I think they'd be bored. As far as the story & show, it was very juvenile. Cute, worth seeing, but I'd say target age is 5 & under.

Lastly, we stayed in the standard suite room, the one that is the cheapest. We were very pleased with it. Beds were very comfortable and the room was spacious. The bathroom is small, but I don't care about that kind of thing on vacation. The vanity and sink areas were in the room itself, not in the bathroom. No safes in the room, you're expected to leave valuables locked at the front desk if you want them locked up. Finally, I liked the way even the most distant rooms still didn't feel far away.

Overall, we had a great time and I would highly recommend GWL for your 2-8 year old. The price was really reasonable and completely worth it. We'd love to go back next winter.

1  Thank Bubblesk633
Reviewed March 19, 2014

We traveled to the Great Wolf Lodge in Sandusky, Ohio in March for our toddler's third birthday. We had a great experience!

We stayed in a family suite which was spacious, clean and had a nice sized balcony.

The waterpark was large and fun. I thought it was very family friendly had sections that appealed to every age group. Our little one loved the little slides and the pool with the basketball hoops! Story time in the lodge lobby is highly recommended! The pre-show was fun and Violet the Wolf came out after to read the story.

We added the birthday package add-on to our package and it was well worth the money! Our son got a Happy Birthday poster on the door, birthday bag with goodies, a free shutterfly book along with certificates for the arcade, pizza, birthday cake and create a creature. He loved it all!

Dining at the lodge is good. There is also a wide variety of nearby restaurants close by.

All in all, it was a great first experience to the Great Wolf Lodge. We are already planning a visit back for this summer!